Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Yessss, still got it! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=349115)

Kurt505 08-06-2018 09:05 PM

Yessss, still got it!

Bought a couple new bows this winter and was waiting for the snow to melt so I could shoot at 40yds plus. Then I broke my leg in April...:angry3:

Got out to the cabin this weekend and was finally able to try out one of my new bows past 20yds for the first time. Range was about 50yds, I didn't have a range finder and I still don't have my sight tape set up yet, but it's within a yard or two +/- 50yds.

https://i.imgur.com/Tr4SPsH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uL66nEW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tQtdXap.jpg

It's a good thing I can still shoot half decent because my walking ain't so good these days!

Twisted Canuck 08-06-2018 09:13 PM

Oh! Good and expensive shooting, Robin Hood! I hate when I do that, yet strangely proud too...:lol:

Flight01 08-06-2018 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 3822732)
Oh! Good and expensive shooting, Robin Hood! I hate when I do that, yet strangely proud too...:lol:

I know right! Oddly the most rewarding moment of equipment damage I can think of ...

Also, when it comes to breaking a leg , we have a saying in the old country

Don’t do it ....

Good shooting Kurt. How’s the leg?

shooter12 08-06-2018 09:22 PM

I really don't like those shots.
Usually 2 arrows are gone with one not careful shot:)
S12

Kurt505 08-06-2018 09:49 PM

I've shot a pile of robin hoods, the only time I shoot groups under 40yds is to set up my sight. This new bow is pretty sweet because 4 of the 5 shots would have fit in a loonie at 50yds, I'm really liking it.

My leg sucks, had to use my quad to drive back and forth to my target lol. I can hobble around a bit without crutches now but I got a long road ahead. Broke my tibia plateau off, right where my ACL attached to, then when my leg went off sideways from breaking it I tore my MCL so I did some damage. Doc says a year before I'm walking normal again, I'm hoping just to be able to hobble around without so much swelling. Right now I can only go a couple hundred yards and it swells right up.

kujoseto 08-09-2018 09:57 PM

I do take this thread as you’re better than me. Your pics prove it. I’ve never shot that well :)
Not jealous, just impressed haha

ESOXangler 08-09-2018 10:27 PM

I'll weight in on this. Kurt answered a bunch of questions for me and was really good about it. Nothing dick about it all. I've seen him RIP on a few plugs around here but nothing to get but hurt about.

What is interesting is I find the majority of slicktricks posts are pretty much the exact things he's complaining about.

Weird world.

Don_Parsons 08-09-2018 11:25 PM

Awesome thread Kurt, glad you're out and about,,, that's what really counts.

I bet if there was a AO yearly gathering where folks meet face to face,,, we'd be hounered to take it all in.

Our Alberta Dual Sport forum is on year 5 of "once a year" gatherings, 110+ showed up this year,,, "EVERYONE" had a awesome time since we have a common goal.

From $400 beat up hack bikes to $40.000 rocket ship.
18 to 80 years young with all kinds of world motorcycle skills from all walks of life.

Life is to short to waist on negative posts, I'm practicing reading past them now, but I'm still game at asking questions. To many years working with TAP ROOT stuff.

Awesome shooting by the way,,, glad your slowly getting around, no one needs a injury, it takes the wind out of our sails.

I hope that you and your friends are able to get out there this year, everyone that is,,, scouting, sight seeing, camping, archey, rifle, even some Creek fishing to change things up.

Thanks for sharing bro, all things outdoor rock since we work to hard and never get enough of the good times when we want them. Ha

My new motto in life is,,, "Its the best I can do,,," funny thing is that this refreshing saying fits in every where.

Cheers

Kurt505 08-09-2018 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don_Parsons (Post 3824301)
Awesome thread Kurt, glad you're out and about,,, that's what really counts.

I bet if there was a AO yearly gathering where folks meet face to face,,, we'd be hounered to take it all in.

Our Alberta Dual Sport forum is on year 5 of "once a year" gatherings, 110+ showed up this year,,, "EVERYONE" had a awesome time since we have a common goal.

From $400 beat up hack bikes to $40.000 rocket ship.
18 to 80 years young with all kinds of world motorcycle skills from all walks of life.

Life is to short to waist on negative posts, I'm practicing reading past them now, but I'm still game at asking questions. To many years working with TAP ROOT stuff.

Awesome shooting by the way,,, glad your slowly getting around, no one needs a injury, it takes the wind out of our sails.

I hope that you and your friends are able to get out there this year, everyone that is,,, scouting, sight seeing, camping, archey, rifle, even some Creek fishing to change things up.

Thanks for sharing bro, all things outdoor rock since we work to hard and never get enough of the good times when we want them. Ha

My new motto in life is,,, "Its the best I can do,,," funny thing is that this refreshing saying fits in every where.

Cheers

Thanks Don,

I've met probably around 30 or 40 members from here, maybe more and enjoyed the company of every one of them, I'm sure it'll be the same for the next 30 or 40 I meet.

Things sometimes get heated on the forum, everyone loves their stuff. At the end of the day it's like the sheep dog and coyote from bugs bunny, I believe their names are Ralph and Sam. Nemesis's while their on the clock then pals for the walk home at the end of the day, lol. I like to give a bit and take a bit of ribbin on here, but it seems there's always something good that comes out of every thread.

Recovery is ssssslllloooowwww with this leg, not as fun as I thought it would be that's for sure. Definitely won't be any creek fishing for me any time soon, I only have about 85-90 degree range of motion compared to 135 degrees on my good leg and I just started walking up stairs without having to two step them. Happy to finally get out shooting for sure, fingers crossed I'll be able to do some still hunting this November because with just a couple weeks till archery season opens it's not looking like I'll be doing much bow hunting. Maybe I'll come across a muley that will co-operate for me?

Stinky Coyote 08-10-2018 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt505 (Post 3824314)
thanks don,

i've met probably around 30 or 40 members from here, maybe more and enjoyed the company of every one of them, i'm sure it'll be the same for the next 30 or 40 i meet.

Things sometimes get heated on the forum, everyone loves their stuff. At the end of the day it's like the sheep dog and coyote from bugs bunny, i believe their names are ralph and sam. Nemesis's while their on the clock then pals for the walk home at the end of the day, lol. I like to give a bit and take a bit of ribbin on here, but it seems there's always something good that comes out of every thread.

Recovery is ssssslllloooowwww with this leg, not as fun as i thought it would be that's for sure. Definitely won't be any creek fishing for me any time soon, i only have about 85-90 degree range of motion compared to 135 degrees on my good leg and i just started walking up stairs without having to two step them. Happy to finally get out shooting for sure, fingers crossed i'll be able to do some still hunting this november because with just a couple weeks till archery season opens it's not looking like i'll be doing much bow hunting. Maybe i'll come across a muley that will co-operate for me?

👍✌️

58thecat 08-10-2018 06:03 AM

That's why I shoot at different targets....things get tight....and then expensive....but it makes for a wall hanger!

Best thing is that your upright and out.:)

Don_Parsons 08-10-2018 07:40 AM

I hear yha

I've had 4 small set backs that all suck. Ha

A bit of a life change so long as I don't go tumbling down mountains, go pounding down a cutline at Mock 3,,, or miss the step climbing out of equipment.

A 1/2 year on the first, 3 months on the next, pretty much a full year when the back give out the first time,,, the Elbow followed by the shoulder on the other side. LOL

Life sometimes comes at us in some Intresting ways.
Still pretty lucky since some folks have more challanges then us.

My friend has a saying for this. "Feel sorry for a man with no shoes till we meet a man with no feet."

A fellow on the news last year ended up with a life changing injury, he's taking it in stride since his options are to let this hold him back,,, or move forward using wizer ideas.

Him and his wife along with family changed the life style as its one of those hurdles in life that show up when we least expect it.

Yes, a good old community of good times, make a few friend, be welcome to show up at anytime, and agree to disagree at a camp fire or dinner table near you. LOL.

I sent out a few PM's to folks to visit in my travels, some down South, some up North.
This is where we're off to this year in the quest of harvesting out side our norm.

A change-up to add value to the dream.
The same kind of camp fire,,, yet a little bit different.
Old Timer calls it the "Wild Cat Card."

Step out side the normal to find out if things can be Intresting in a different area of unknowns.

Shoot straight, enjoy the dream and I hope you don't get anything this season.
I don't know why my friends tell me this all the time. LOL

Mb-MBR 09-23-2018 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt505 (Post 3824314)
Thanks Don,

I've met probably around 30 or 40 members from here, maybe more and enjoyed the company of every one of them, I'm sure it'll be the same for the next 30 or 40 I meet.

Things sometimes get heated on the forum, everyone loves their stuff. At the end of the day it's like the sheep dog and coyote from bugs bunny, I believe their names are Ralph and Sam. Nemesis's while their on the clock then pals for the walk home at the end of the day, lol. I like to give a bit and take a bit of ribbin on here, but it seems there's always something good that comes out of every thread.

Recovery is ssssslllloooowwww with this leg, not as fun as I thought it would be that's for sure. Definitely won't be any creek fishing for me any time soon, I only have about 85-90 degree range of motion compared to 135 degrees on my good leg and I just started walking up stairs without having to two step them. Happy to finally get out shooting for sure, fingers crossed I'll be able to do some still hunting this November because with just a couple weeks till archery season opens it's not looking like I'll be doing much bow hunting. Maybe I'll come across a muley that will co-operate for me?

Never really seen eye to eye with you on many fronts due to our different lineages but wish you well on a speedy recovery and hope you can get out to arrow a critter or two.....cant shoot them sitting around the shack so I wouldn't write off archery season, karma works both ways.

In spite of not seeing eye to eye, I know you'd like me in person and in hunting camp....:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

Get well...….

Kurt505 09-23-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mb-MBR (Post 3844924)
Never really seen eye to eye with you on many fronts due to our different lineages but wish you well on a speedy recovery and hope you can get out to arrow a critter or two.....cant shoot them sitting around the shack so I wouldn't write off archery season, karma works both ways.

In spite of not seeing eye to eye, I know you'd like me in person and in hunting camp....:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

Get well...….

Mb-MBR, I know for a fact we’d get along great in person, and I also know how you think I feel about our different lineages and how I actually feel about them are very different. It’s not the lineages, it’s our government who has done neither of us any favors, and that is as deep as it gets with me.

In any case, I do appreciate the well wishes. I have gotten out Hunting once this year so far with my son, I’ve still got a long road ahead as far as mobility goes with my leg. This year will be more of a scouting/guiding season but hopefully by next year I’ll be running at 75-85%. Doc says 1-3 year recovery with my injury.

Mb-MBR 09-23-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt505 (Post 3844939)
Mb-MBR, I know for a fact we’d get along great in person, and I also know how you think I feel about our different lineages and how I actually feel about them are very different. It’s not the lineages, it’s our government who has done neither of us any favors, and that is as deep as it gets with me.

In any case, I do appreciate the well wishes. I have gotten out Hunting once this year so far with my son, I’ve still got a long road ahead as far as mobility goes with my leg. This year will be more of a scouting/guiding season but hopefully by next year I’ll be running at 75-85%. Doc says 1-3 year recovery with my injury.

Think of it this way, you can now operate in super stealthy mode, might be more successful. :thinking-006: Just need the son to pack out more game now.....:sHa_shakeshout: Good luck

Kurt505 09-23-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mb-MBR (Post 3844944)
Think of it this way, you can now operate in super stealthy mode, might be more successful. :thinking-006: Just need the son to pack out more game now.....:sHa_shakeshout: Good luck

As a guide I set guys out in a tower stand or ground blind and leave them there for a minimum of 4hrs. Doing this my clients have had about a 80% success rate (that would be higher if it weren’t for one specific client, his paitience/pickiness has gotten him one booner and 3 others in the 160’s over the years with me though). It’s been about 6yrs since I’ve shot a whitetail, not having time to hunt the rut for myself and not being able to sit still anymore probably has a lot to do with it, so I’m hoping I’ll be able to sit still long enough to finally have a nice buck stumble across me, lol.

Good luck to you as well, I wish you the best bud. :)

HighROI 09-27-2018 09:14 PM

Nicely done! :sHa_shakeshout: