Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   coyotes near Eckville (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=430274)

dunl 03-25-2024 06:57 PM

coyotes near Eckville

Evening all,

Came out two mornings ago to the three border collies losing their minds, inside the yard and barking. I go to see what is causing a ruckus, and there is a coyote just outside the fence, 25m from the barn. I went back inside for the rifle, but by the time I got back out it and the FOUR it was with had moved off enough to only fire a warning shot.

We have dwarf goats in the barn, and it's kidding season....with the recent snowfall, I'm sure that was the draw. We also picked up an orphan kid that was screaming it's head off like it has never been fed in it's entire short life, so that makes a good predator call too. Neighbor was called and gave permission for me to shoot across the fence at them if needed.

I've never skinned a coyote, and don't really have a use for it. Anyone in the area that would be interested if I manage to bag a couple of them? I'm sure someone could use the pelts.....just not me.

If so, send me a PM with a cell number and I'll keep it handy.

wwbirds 03-25-2024 07:51 PM

Pelts

Pretty useless this time of year

MountainTi 03-25-2024 08:00 PM

Chuck it in the ditch or the trees. Ravens gotta eat too

thumper 03-25-2024 08:27 PM

Ravens love eating coyotes! They dance around them like cats on catnip!

If you’re going to leave dead coyotes exposed in a field, can you consider using non-toxic ammunition? The eagles are migrating north around now, and I’d hate to see a big Golden eagle heading to its arctic breeding ground, laid low by lead poisoning. Thx!

Dewey Cox 03-25-2024 08:54 PM

Don't count your coyotes before they're shot.

dunl 03-25-2024 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey Cox (Post 4712018)
Don't count your coyotes before they're shot.

Oh, not doing that...just trying to plan ahead.

Big Grey Wolf 03-26-2024 10:50 AM

Coyote prices in last week FHA auction were terrible. Just as mentioned leave them for ravens.

Accanadensis 03-26-2024 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 4712017)

If you’re going to leave dead coyotes exposed in a field, can you consider using non-toxic ammunition? The eagles are migrating north around now, and I’d hate to see a big Golden eagle heading to its arctic breeding ground, laid low by lead poisoning. Thx!

X2

Smokinyotes 03-26-2024 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 4712017)

Gimme a break. Ya think he is shooting them with a pellet gun? I’ve shot hundreds of coyotes and never recovered a bullet yet.

gascott 03-27-2024 10:46 AM

yotes

Seem to have a lot around here this year. I asked the F&G officer if they were going to bring back a bounty. She didn't know but apparently there is still a bounty in Southern Alberta.
No wonder grouse are hard to find.
The neighbor's daughter's farm is plagued with them and they have dogs (small dogs) so they see them in the yards all the time. No they don't hunt???? WTH?
The dad counted 15 cow moose and calves in the front pasture a few weeks ago. Not including the whitetails. So the animals are bunching up now. Time to look for sheds.

NCC 03-27-2024 05:18 PM

A coyote killed a 3 day old calf in one of my calving sheds at 8:30 in the morning. They seem to be either brave or hungry this year.

We saw the calf alive at 7 and when we fed at 8:30 a coyote was eating it.

Who Da Fisherman 03-27-2024 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC (Post 4712428)
A coyote killed a 3 day old calf in one of my calving sheds at 8:30 in the morning. They seem to be either brave or hungry this year.

We saw the calf alive at 7 and when we fed at 8:30 a coyote was eating it.

I could possibly have time next weekend for a few stands :)
WDF

Dean2 04-01-2024 08:59 AM

There is definitely a lot of coyotes around. Saw an even 12 in one 80 acre parcel, right on the corner of Highway 28, and Sturgeon road. None were this years pups. That is not good for game or cattle producers.

David Henry 04-01-2024 01:51 PM

I am close to you in Eckville out by the ski hill and I have shot two coyotes in the last two days. They were very brave and too close for comfort, as a rule I leave them alone but then they go and do something stupid like kill one of our cats or try to lure the dog out. Then I have to tune them in for a while until the balance is restored. D.H.

NCC 04-01-2024 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman (Post 4712433)
I could possibly have time next weekend for a few stands :)
WDF

We've been pounding anything that shows up in the daylight and tried a bit of calling without success. If you have a night vision or thermal scope, come kill them all.

KGB 04-01-2024 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC (Post 4713648)
We've been pounding anything that shows up in the daylight and tried a bit of calling without success. If you have a night vision or thermal scope, come kill them all.

And a silencer, don’t forget the silencer! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Smokinyotes 04-01-2024 09:24 PM

Quote:

They make those red lights that attach to a pic rail or clip to a scope.

Who Da Fisherman 04-02-2024 12:56 PM

Quote:

I saw Outdoor Quest is trying a Zeiss one out, maybe he will loan it out :)
WDF

H380 04-02-2024 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KGB (Post 4713665)

And a pool noodle [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Dean2 04-02-2024 05:47 PM

See coyote, shoot coyote, shoot Coyote with whatever you have. A 22 RF is not perfect for the job but if it is what you have on hand, it is what I use. Ÿotes are tremendouly destructive to both wild game and donstic animals, and they are becoming.completely unafraid of human. That is a really bad thing and we need to cjhangr that complete lack of respect for what shoulf be the ALPA killer in the room.

lakerman 04-02-2024 06:23 PM

everyones hungry

Driving this morning counted 6 and 1 fox in 1 farm field near the city.

NCC 04-04-2024 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KGB (Post 4713665)

It's not a silencer, it's a solvent trap.

dunl 04-06-2024 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Henry (Post 4713621)
I am close to you in Eckville out by the ski hill and I have shot two coyotes in the last two days. They were very brave and too close for comfort, as a rule I leave them alone but then they go and do something stupid like kill one of our cats or try to lure the dog out. Then I have to tune them in for a while until the balance is restored. D.H.

I'm south of the gas plant on 3-2. I came out of the barn tonight after putting the goats in for the evening. Mind you, that's not a quiet event.....lots of yelling....even from the goats too. lol

Here's a coyote, sitting either right inside or outside the fence 75m away. Not a care in the world....probably the same one two night ago that was right at the end of the barn, and sure it was the one from Monday evening that was sauntering 20 feet in front of my heeler running it off the field...again, not a real care in the world.

I'm sure it's the same one, cause I got it this evening. Now, being from PEI originally, I'm used to the larger Eastern coyotes from when I was a kid....and this was the first one I have shot out here.

48" from tip to tail, 33lb. A friend of mine says that's a big one out here.

dunl 04-07-2024 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Only picture I got.

ceedub 04-08-2024 06:15 AM

Coyotes were horrible this year. We lambed our flock out in January and our Guardian dogs couldn’t keep up with the amount of coyotes. We lost a few lambs before I decided we had to do something drastic. I brought in a buddy who is a resident trapper, locked our dogs up and we snared a few. Then I started shooting. I’ve killed 30 coyotes without leaving the yard.
It’s the worst year I can ever remember for predators.

Craig

coyote_man 04-08-2024 08:34 AM

And their population along with problems is only going to increase with no demand for their fur. Hopefully mother nature will intervene.

Stinky Buffalo 04-08-2024 08:42 AM

My oldest son works at a dairy farm. He's seeing tons of coyotes too. They've been very bold for sure.

A lot of us hate to see the pelts going to waste, but there's times where you need to do what needs to be done.

KGB 04-08-2024 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedub (Post 4715138)
Coyotes were horrible this year. We lambed our flock out in January and our Guardian dogs couldn’t keep up with the amount of coyotes. We lost a few lambs before I decided we had to do something drastic. I brought in a buddy who is a resident trapper, locked our dogs up and we snared a few. Then I started shooting. I’ve killed 30 coyotes without leaving the yard.
It’s the worst year I can ever remember for predators.

Craig

Holy poop man! I think you need more firepower! :sHa_shakeshout:

Smokinyotes 04-08-2024 07:06 PM

I feel like an armed guard packing a gun to check cows this year.

Whitetail200 04-11-2024 12:40 PM

Coyotes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 4713514)
There is definitely a lot of coyotes around. Saw an even 12 in one 80 acre parcel, right on the corner of Highway 28, and Sturgeon road. None were this years pups. That is not good for game or cattle producers.

I know . That's in my trapping area .