Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Favorite hunting/ shooting books (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=362421)

obsessed1 04-14-2019 05:44 PM

Favorite hunting/ shooting books

So I'm heading out of town for a few days for my sister's wedding. I'm looking for a good technical read for the time I'm gone. I have both kindle and kobo accounts. What's your favorite reads? I already have a pretty good library full of gun/ hunting relatetad titles but have read them all( some multiple times) interests are hunting ( big game, coyote) shooting ( Long range, PRS) ballistics, handloading, gunsmithing. I'm not much of a fiction reader but love technical/ instructional books pertaining to any subjects related to these interests. I'd love to get some recommendations. Thanks

Bushleague 04-14-2019 06:14 PM

The Deer Hunters Guide, by Francis E Sell. A true masterpiece from a time when tactics were relatively simple, but a highly detailed understanding of game habit and a good grasp of fundamental hunting skills were essential. I've owned my copy for over 15 years, I read it before every season, and I still pick out new knowledge every year.

I own lots of other books but this one is by far the most useful reference I've ever come across.

303 Epps 04-14-2019 06:33 PM

If you haven't read/skimmed it yet, see if you can find "Hatcher's Notebook" by Julian S Hatcher. If you get the Third Edition, it has new material he published in 1962 before he passed. A timeless classic on internal and external ballistics and other sundries.

35 whelen 04-14-2019 07:04 PM

Hunting rutting whitetails

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

obsessed1 04-14-2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 303 Epps (Post 3963153)
If you haven't read/skimmed it yet, see if you can find "Hatcher's Notebook" by Julian S Hatcher. If you get the Third Edition, it has new material he published in 1962 before he passed. A timeless classic on internal and external ballistics and other sundries.

I do have hatchers notebook. Great read

obsessed1 04-14-2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushleague (Post 3963139)
The Deer Hunters Guide, by Francis E Sell. A true masterpiece from a time when tactics were relatively simple, but a highly detailed understanding of game habit and a good grasp of fundamental hunting skills were essential. I've owned my copy for over 15 years, I read it before every season, and I still pick out new knowledge every year.

I own lots of other books but this one is by far the most useful reference I've ever come across.

I have not read this one yet. I'll look into It

Prairiewolf 04-14-2019 08:22 PM

I finally got a decent price on "Elk of North America" by Thomas and Toweill on Amazon after missing out on purchasing it cheap a couple of years ago.

It reads like a university textbook about elk and its material is relevant even in a Canadian context. There are copies on Amazon but boy are they pricey!

I doubt there is a digital format for this.

bdub 04-14-2019 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prairiewolf (Post 3963209)
I finally got a decent price on "Elk of North America" by Thomas and Toweill on Amazon after missing out on purchasing it cheap a couple of years ago.

It reads like a university textbook about elk and its material is relevant even in a Canadian context. There are copies on Amazon but boy are they pricey!

I doubt there is a digital format for this.

I agree. This is a really good read.

I didn't realize they were that pricey, just looked and one on Amazon. $870 bucks.

bdub 04-14-2019 09:12 PM

African Rifles and Cartridges by John Taylor.

Norwest Alta 04-14-2019 09:25 PM

Crazy man's creek and some other one I think it's called grizzly bear mountain. Both wrote by the same guy in the bc interior. Jack Boudreu

Diesel_wiesel 04-20-2019 09:23 AM

anything by the late Jack O Connor

deadeye 04-20-2019 10:04 AM

Big Game Hunting in Alberta - John Ondrack

Dick284 04-20-2019 10:16 AM

Hunting Rutting Whitetail’s by Gene Wensel.

Death on the Dark Continent by Peter Hathaway Capstick.

Salavee 04-20-2019 10:26 AM

PO Ackley published a couple of good ones .. Handbook for Shooters and Handloaders

Volumes I and 2.

catnthehat 04-20-2019 04:32 PM

Anything by Ruark but Use enough gun is my favourite
The Accurate Rifle and One Man’s Wilderness by Page.
Rifle Accuracy Facts by Vaughn is another .
Cat

GMX 04-21-2019 10:57 AM

Not much on instructional but check out Charles Sheldon books there a good read

scruffy 04-21-2019 11:35 AM

Books

Heart of the Hunter by Edison Marshall … (1956) My favourite book of all time. It tells of his life as a hunter (started with ducks and went on to caribou and grizzly bears, brown bears, Africa with a legendary old white hunter, then eventually went to Indo China to hunt tigers and finally to India to hunt tigers .. more that once and multiple tigers ..

Near the end he went back to ducks as he felt that he could never again duplicate the adventures …

He was a famous novelist back in the day …

I keep rereading it every few years .. :):):):)

Fitscottn 04-22-2019 08:53 AM

I found “American Buffalo: in search of a lost icon” by Stephen Rinella an interesting read. I have “Arctic Dreams” by Barry Lopez in the pile to read. Anyone read the Barry Lopez book “Of wolves and men”?

sjr 04-22-2019 09:21 AM

Alaskan Yukon Trophies Won and Lost G.O. Young
Hell I was There Elmer Keith
That Some May Follow Leo Rutledge

Red Bullets 04-23-2019 11:53 AM

This book is an interesting read. Not technical or fiction. Might be hard to find.

A Sporting Chance; unusual methods of hunting
by Daniel P. Mannix. published 1967

Daniel hunted and wrote from the 1940's to the 1960's. He died at age 86 in 1997.

Daniel hunted his game and birds with everything from a boomerang to blowgun to bola to bow to crossbow to falconry to hunting with ferrets, terriers, and even using a cheetah to hunt coyotes. Fishing using cormorants, otters and anhingas. Some photos in the book too.

jay007 04-24-2019 08:39 AM

I'm surprised I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but good chance you already have it.

One Man, One Rifle, One Land - J.Y Jones