Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Custom leather slings etc.... (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=366566)

360hunt 07-13-2019 07:17 PM

Custom leather slings etc....

I'm lucky enough that I acquired a rifle that deserves a custom leather sling to compliment it.

I have seen some slings that are alright I guess from cabelas and bass pro.
But I'm looking for a nice custom sling.

Anyone have ideas ? Who would you recommend?

Thanks

normanrd 07-13-2019 07:33 PM

I am interested in getting a back scabbard for my 45-70 made. I'm interested in recommendations as well!

Puma 07-13-2019 08:47 PM

Find your local saddle maker.

TrollGRG 07-13-2019 09:44 PM

If you are on Facebook you can check out this guy. His work is remarkable and the costs (including shipping) are as good as you will get anywhere - even here in Canada.

Manuel Solis

He has a few videos of him doing the work - all hand made and gets it done as fast as you can spit. He doesn't have a shop or store, you just tell him what you want and he will message you back on Facebook with the costs etc.

Weebo 07-13-2019 10:38 PM

Check out Bates gang leather,find him on Facebook as well and check out some of his stuff, he ships all over Canada and USA

270person 07-13-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 360hunt (Post 4001215)
I'm lucky enough that I acquired a rifle that deserves a custom leather sling to compliment it.

I have seen some slings that are alright I guess from cabelas and bass pro.
But I'm looking for a nice custom sling.

Anyone have ideas ? Who would you recommend?

Thanks

Check out the Levy's models at Prophet River. I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and am really impressed. Very strong. Nice supple leather. Unless you want fancy stitching or your name etched into it they are as good as custom built to me.

I hate stiff slings. These are very nice with no break in required. $60 - $125

JD848 07-14-2019 01:01 AM

There's a guy in Winnipeg call peg city leather.

I know guys that have had stuff made for them and they talk very well of him,plus he ships world wide.

Infact I wanted to get in touch with him because I have some knife cases I want made plus a guitar sling or strap with my bros name on it.I seen 2 straps he made and they were nice,hope this helps out.

stubby99ca 07-14-2019 02:56 AM

Hitching Pohl near Wetaskiwin

The Hitching Pohl near Wetaskiwin may be worthwhile for you to contact. They are on Face book.

Pathfinder76 07-14-2019 07:38 AM

A leather sling that has the cobra look, or that has been stamped are gaudy and detract from the objective. A simple strap arrangement is best. Look at Montana slings or the Brownells latigo sling. Well made, look good, but don’t detract from the rifle.

1899b 07-14-2019 08:50 AM

Reding Farm Handcrafted Leather Goods in Bieseker.
She does slings, sheaths, buttstock cartridge holders and a lot
of other items. You can Facebook Reding Farm if you have Facebook.

One fella on here did a really nice buttstock cartridge holder for my .444
Years ago but I’m unsure if he wants the publicity as he gets pretty busy and it was a hobby for him at the time.

Masterchief 07-14-2019 09:30 AM

I searched locally but ended up ordering from gunstockcover.com they had lots of options to pick from. I am very happy with the workhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4d93765155.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Athabasca1 07-14-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 4001324)
A leather sling that has the cobra look, or that has been stamped are gaudy and detract from the objective. A simple strap arrangement is best. Look at Montana slings or the Brownells latigo sling. Well made, look good, but don’t detract from the rifle.

I have Brownell Quick Set Latigo slings. Excellent quality. I would not use any other type of sling now.

270person 07-14-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 4001324)
A leather sling that has the cobra look, or that has been stamped are gaudy and detract from the objective.

The objective being accuracy and shots placed where you want them?

Prewar 07-14-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterchief (Post 4001359)
I searched locally but ended up ordering from gunstockcover.com they had lots of options to pick from. I am very happy with the workhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4d93765155.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Nothing says ''Im a lousy shot'' like an ammo carrying sling. The numerous ''readily available'' rounds does not imply ''accuracy'' now does it. Then theres that added weight of said ammo and ugly cobra sling swinging around while trying to take an offhand shot. Its just not doing the ''dangerous game PH'' thing for me...

tullfan 07-14-2019 10:34 AM

My Marlin 336 is a 1971 vintage and I have owned it since 1980. It has beautiful wood and it’s a workhorse. It wears a simple Montana sling, 1 1/4 wide, Matches the rifle and character perfectly.
Tullfan

Dean2 07-14-2019 10:56 AM

A member on here, goes by "horse_men" made me some leather products. He does great work at very reasonable prices. Might want to pm him and see what you can work out. He is located in Stony Plain area.

Crix 07-14-2019 11:38 AM

My Brother in Athabasca makes a ton of stuff out of leather, including some very nice rifle slings. He has a bunch of videos on youtube of him making many of these items.

He should be able to make exactly what you are looking for. PM me if you want his phone number. Check out his facebook and youtube page for a number of his projects.

https://www.facebook.com/NoarthCreations/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJM...PQG8x64u6eVdJQ

cody c 07-14-2019 01:07 PM

My neighbor does high end leather work. Not so much with the engraving in cheap veggie tanned leather, but double hand stitches properly done leather work. When you see his work compared to other pieces you understand the work and costs, but it is heirloom product he makes. I think a belt with double stitching on both sides runs about $200, so I'd guess around there or a little more depending. You can google "little lion man leather" if that interests you.

Double stitching allows torn or damaged threads to be repaired fairly easily, as compared to machine stitched which comes apart like a zipper. In Calgary.

beauvalkid 07-14-2019 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athabasca1 (Post 4001373)
I have Brownell Quick Set Latigo slings. Excellent quality. I would not use any other type of sling now.

I use the same slings and they are excellent quality and last time l ordered they are offered in either brown or black if memory serves.

harv3589 07-14-2019 03:51 PM

Montana sling here...simple classic looking sling.

roper1 07-15-2019 08:50 PM

Steve Mason in High River, Excellent saddle maker that would customize a sling. Your initials, maybe an oak leaf, some basket stamping, etc. Guy's a heck of a fisherman as well.

88thunderbird 07-15-2019 10:07 PM

Also got one from reding farm. great quality . I just ordered a scout sling from Andy's leather .

graybeard 07-16-2019 07:11 AM

Give Erin a call, she can email some of the work she does....

Erin Hembroff

(403) 999-6645

erinhembroff@gmail.com