Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Taxidermy for bear (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=317206)

Bighead 03-12-2017 10:18 PM

Taxidermy for bear

Going bear hunting north of Edmonton in a month or so. Fairly good chance we'll connect with a bruin. Looking for a good taxidermist to take it to if we get lucky. Anyone got any suggestions for one in St. Albert-Morinville area ? Dont mind driving within an hour of Edmonton or even Calgary for that matter.

HunterDave 03-12-2017 11:05 PM

Droptine Taxidermy is the only one that I know in Morinville.

Torkdiesel 03-13-2017 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bighead (Post 3492897)
Going bear hunting north of Edmonton in a month or so. Fairly good chance we'll connect with a bruin. Looking for a good taxidermist to take it to if we get lucky. Anyone got any suggestions for one in St. Albert-Morinville area ? Dont mind driving within an hour of Edmonton or even Calgary for that matter.

You best be waiting a couple months. Be pretty lonely out there looking for a bear in mid April 😉

JohnB 03-13-2017 09:47 AM

Are you looking to get a rug done for a shoulder, half or life size?

35 whelen 03-13-2017 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torkdiesel (Post 3493052)
You best be waiting a couple months. Be pretty lonely out there looking for a bear in mid April 😉

UNLESS we get some real warm weather May is always a good month to hunt bruins .

hoyt hntr 03-13-2017 04:08 PM

Extreme taxidermy in westlock. Does great work and great guy.

Torkdiesel 03-13-2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35 whelen (Post 3493104)
UNLESS we get some real warm weather May is always a good month to hunt bruins .

I've been duped before with the temptation of early May hunting because of an early thaw, it's always been a flop 😞

13mileranch 03-13-2017 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torkdiesel (Post 3493300)
I've been duped before with the temptation of early May hunting because of an early thaw, it's always been a flop 😞

Can't fault enthusiasm. My wife shot a great bear West of Caroline last year April 14th. That beats sitting around getting FAT!!

Marty S 03-13-2017 05:59 PM

It is too late for me...

I've heard that Artistic Taxidermy in Edmonton is one of the most prestigious Taxidermy studios in all the lands. Might a start we'll look at that place too? I've heard very good things bout the place.

Bighead 03-13-2017 09:04 PM

Taxidermy

HI folks. Thanks for the info on the potential businesses and advice on dates. According to my hunting partner, we'll try our luck near the end of Apr, beginning of May. The big bruin that made an appearance on his trail camera appeared the beginning of the second week of May last year, so we'll get in a bit early to scout and bait. Hopefully we'll have some nice weather.

I haven't hunted bear since I went in the Army in 1988 so its all kind of new to me. It seems I always encounter bears when I'm not specifically looking for them...

My hunting buddy is keen on a full rug so, if we connect, we'll at least have narrowed it down to a couple of recommended places.

Torkdiesel 03-13-2017 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13mileranch (Post 3493370)
Can't fault enthusiasm. My wife shot a great bear West of Caroline last year April 14th. That beats sitting around getting FAT!!

You wouldn't want that now would you.

I guess if life is that slow and you want to waste your time playing in the snow looking at the lack of bears, it's a great time.

I see the OP has decided to go in May now, great idea

wellpastcold 03-14-2017 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty S (Post 3493376)
It is too late for me...

I've heard that Artistic Taxidermy in Edmonton is one of the most prestigious Taxidermy studios in all the lands. Might a start we'll look at that place too? I've heard very good things bout the place.

Artistic is awesome. Brian is a super guy. He is very busy so like all the good ones expect wait a little bit to get your trophy back. I've never had him do a bear but his deer mounts are top notch. Good luck with your hunt.

reddeerhunter 03-14-2017 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Try out Sugarcreek.Attachment 132117

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk