Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Price of snare cable (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=348147)

AlbertaAl 07-18-2018 06:33 PM

Price of snare cable

Just got a quote from my supplier for cable 1x19 .o60" 1/16 5000 ft. $2,045.
Same supplier, same product, same quantity Feb. 2015 $630.
That's an extra $1415. today

Jtstahl 07-18-2018 09:41 PM

I can get 3/32 7x7 cable for as cheap as 5 cents a foot.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

HunterDave 07-18-2018 10:20 PM

I experienced the same thing a couple of months ago with wire mesh that I use to make colony and submarine traps......the price more than doubled in one year. The steel futures have doubled in a year and a half. The manger at the depot told me that fabricators/industries have been stockpiling steel for the past year in anticipation of higher prices. I’m sure that the price of footholds, etc will soon cost more as well. This is without Trump’s tariffs on steel so it may get worse yet imo.

Marty S 07-18-2018 11:27 PM

There's different kinds of cable, good and other.

Good costs more. Other costs less. Good is made with high quality steel wire. Other is made of lower quality steel wire.

We sell both. You pay more for good.
Other is cheaper.

Do note the difference. Good vs other is like comparing cold rolled steel to rebar. I think most understand what that means.

I am a little worried this year on price increases.

Jtstahl 07-18-2018 11:38 PM

Can u tell the difference from good or bad just by looking at it?

AlbertaAl 07-19-2018 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty S (Post 3814246)
There's different kinds of cable, good and other.

Good costs more. Other costs less. Good is made with high quality steel wire. Other is made of lower quality steel wire.

We sell both. You pay more for good.
Other is cheaper.

Do note the difference. Good vs other is like comparing cold rolled steel to rebar. I think most understand what that means.

I am a little worried this year on price increases.

Yes, there is price increases due to trade wars with USA ...tarriffs on steel
I've asked the supplier to double check his quote for a potential math mistake.
I use 1/16 cable. Four years ago I was using prodyuct that was made in China and it was breaking in the field. MY next order came from "made in USA" and I have had virtually no problems with breakages over the last 3 years. There is a quality difference.

H380 07-19-2018 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtstahl (Post 3814249)

Buy Martys and you wont have to worry about .. I went cheap and bought cable from a U.S. supplier the last 2 years and it is not near as good a quality as that offered by Canadian Coyote Co.

AlbertaAl 07-19-2018 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtstahl (Post 3814249)

There is no difference in appearance between low grade versus high grade wire rope.

Puma 07-19-2018 10:17 AM

Lets be clear

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 3814212)
I experienced the same thing a couple of months ago with wire mesh that I use to make colony and submarine traps......the price more than doubled in one year. The steel futures have doubled in a year and a half. The manger at the depot told me that fabricators/industries have been stockpiling steel for the past year in anticipation of higher prices. I’m sure that the price of footholds, etc will soon cost more as well. This is without Trump’s tariffs on steel so it may get worse yet imo.

The tariffs we pay on steel are not Trumps. These are tariffs put on by the Canadian govt on steel imports.

AlbertaAl 07-19-2018 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H380 (Post 3814312)
Buy Martys and you wont have to worry about .. I went cheap and bought cable from a U.S. supplier the last 2 years and it is not near as good a quality as that offered by Canadian Coyote Co.

Thanks...I've submitted a request for a quote with Marty

HunterDave 07-19-2018 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbertaAl (Post 3814055)
Just got a quote from my supplier for cable 1x19 .o60" 1/16 5000 ft. $2,045.
Same supplier, same product, same quantity Feb. 2015 $630.
That's an extra $1415. today

I had to check the prices today and all that I can say is.......Your quote is absolutely ridiculous. :sign0068:

AlbertaAl 07-19-2018 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 3814701)
I had to check the prices today and all that I can say is.......Your quote is absolutely ridiculous. :sign0068:

Yes it is (ridiculous)...but it is ..what it is...doesn't mean I have to pull the trigger on the purchase. Possibly the retailer is gouging while blaming tarriffs..,dunno
I'm looking at other suppliers.
If there is cheaper / similar wire cable out there...maybe it's old stock.
If it is old stock with old prices... great... but the future is scary for prices.