Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gender Pronouns for Piping Trades, Mechanics, Etc (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=330052)

CaberTosser 09-24-2017 09:34 PM

Gender Pronouns for Piping Trades, Mechanics, Etc

With all the hoopla about gender pronouns being so trendy and progressive and all I figure that its high time that I stop using 'male' and 'female' when describing pipe fittings, nuts, bolts, tools and such. These objects have yet to self-determine their sexuality so I figure that a group consensus would be the appropriate way to decide on the new names. What if a pipe wants to be a female fitting? What if a female fitting want to be a pipe? What if a fitting such as a street elbow (which is already both male and female) wants any or all of its private bits re-designated?

Old name - New Name. Tools, parts or whatever. Give me your best!

CBintheNorth 09-24-2017 09:41 PM

You mean like a tube-bender that may actually want to be a tube-bendress?

Edit. My wife just called it a tube-bendy-thingy. Nevermind.

Anyone know the term for a fifth-wheel pin?:innocent:

Bigwoodsman 09-24-2017 09:44 PM

I read in some places they're eliminating the male and female designations. Instead they're going with an "X".

BW

1stLand 09-24-2017 10:09 PM

Ze, Zyr, Zehr, Zey

bat119 09-25-2017 05:38 AM

Asking the parts lady at the warehouse if she has 2" nipples could be offensive we should change the name to pipe extensions.

Hiwa 09-25-2017 06:19 AM

Positive for external threads.
Negative for internal ones.

I remember when I was young saying inside and outside threads.

Dear Lord ! Now it's come down to this ,lol.

David Wilcox : " I put the pipe in , I pull it out again !" :)

Twisted Canuck 09-25-2017 07:23 AM

Call them all 'Bruce' fittings, gives you the option to change that way.....:scared:

260 Rem 09-25-2017 08:39 AM

Too many working themselves up over what is essentially a non issue - except for those seeking an alternate designation. Male and female remain the same, universal fits everything.

Brucey 09-25-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 3629091)
Call them all 'Bruce' fittings, gives you the option to change that way.....:scared:

I am offended by this! :mad:

I have already contacted a moderator to schedule your sensitivity training session.

Bergerboy 09-25-2017 08:56 AM

You can call them Pin an Box connections. You do need to find a way to mate 2 pin connections or 2 box connections and maybe even 2 connections whose style is none of your damn business. I think we should go to Home Depot with sharpies and remove all of the gender descriptions from the plumbing supplies and let the connection decide for itself!

Sashi 09-25-2017 08:59 AM

Get real

Dewey Cox 09-25-2017 10:03 AM

I feel male shame every time I install a gascock.
Or a curbcock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albertadiver 09-25-2017 10:58 AM

I can't help but giggle in site meetings every time we're talking about bending moments, and thrust blocks.

KGB 09-25-2017 11:04 AM

I refuse to participate in this insanity!

Bergerboy 09-25-2017 11:41 AM

Acceptable Gender Pronoun Guide

Here is a pronoun guide if you get in a pinch
https://uwm.edu/lgbtrc/support/gender-pronouns/

Ken07AOVette 09-25-2017 11:43 AM

haha too good

everything is going to be labelled X soon. :(

tullfan 09-25-2017 12:28 PM

I heard on the radio somewhere that it was unfair to also define your cats and dogs gender. Apparently they cannot speak for them selves as how they want to identify, but we too cannot assume their gender. Looks to be everything is to be assumed neutral until otherwise figured out.
Far as I'm concerned, them big balls hanging off our 2 year old great dane pretty much defines what HE is. Lol. Crazy, right?
Tullfan

Bushrat 09-25-2017 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tullfan (Post 3629343)
I heard on the radio somewhere that it was unfair to also define your cats and dogs gender. Apparently they cannot speak for them selves as how they want to identify, but we too cannot assume their gender.

So its possible I may have inadvertently had my female cat neutered? What does that make it now? What monster have I become for orchestrating this event?

double gun 09-25-2017 04:44 PM

Outy and inny threads, pipe fitting etc.

Twisted Canuck 09-25-2017 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucey (Post 3629141)
I am offended by this! :mad:

I have already contacted a moderator to schedule your sensitivity training session.

I didn't say call it a 'Brucey' fitting, don't be so in touch with your feelings bro....:lol:

purgatory.sv 09-25-2017 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushrat (Post 3629510)
So its possible I may have inadvertently had my female cat neutered? What does that make it now? What monster have I become for orchestrating this event?

Balanced and reasonable.?:scared0018:

Bushrat 09-26-2017 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purgatory.sv (Post 3629728)
Balanced and reasonable.?:scared0018:

That would be quite out of character..

theycallmeNoah 09-26-2017 07:46 AM

This thread made me laugh!

After I graduated from NAIT I got a job at Praxair working in the lab. I was the first woman to have that position and the guys were not sure what to make of it. They did however, take great pleasure in watching me blush as I would ask for a "580 nut and nipple"

mgvande 09-26-2017 07:57 AM

What about for mechanics. There job will get tougher. MANifold, that's not inclusive. Tranny, oh dear that's dicey at best.

mgvande 09-26-2017 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushrat (Post 3629510)

I think one of my horses is 'transitioning' right now zee used to be all macho and now zee is liking attention and hanging out to get treats and zee's main combed. I believe zee is gender fluid at best. I think the trigger is when my daughter put a braid in zee's tail. I guess zee can identify however zee wants as long as the pack horses don't object. So far they seem to be supportive. I didn't think life would be this complicated.

CaberTosser 09-26-2017 08:06 AM

I would have suggested 'screwer' and 'screw-ee" but people would perhaps interpret that it's a reference to gov't and the taxpayers.

CaberTosser 09-26-2017 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgvande (Post 3629908)
I think one of my horses is 'transitioning' right now zee used to be all macho and now zee is liking attention and hanging out to get treats and zee's main combed. I believe zee is gender fluid at best. I think the trigger is when my daughter put a braid in zee's tail. I guess zee can identify however zee wants as long as the pack horses don't object. So far they seem to be supportive. I didn't think life would be this complicated.

You could always call Zee "Fabio". Just be forewarned about letting him on rollercoasters....

mgvande 09-26-2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 3629933)
You could always call Zee "Fabio". Just be forewarned about letting him on rollercoasters....

Zee is the pronoun that zee probably wants

agentsmith 09-26-2017 01:41 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/vk7VesvyZEwuI/giphy.gif