Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Barking cow elk (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=351179)

goldscud 09-12-2018 08:34 PM

Barking cow elk

This morning I had a couple of cow elk come in to a bugle. She seemed very frustrated when she couldn't see the bull and started barking (but not hard like a warning...more of a locating call). She was pacing back and forth looking for the dude. Great fun to watch.
Kind of like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FicHJ-T3kPg

510-Gem 09-12-2018 09:16 PM

Ive heard lead cows go nuts after a herd bull was shot on two occasions. Same kinda frustrated barking thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bassett 09-13-2018 07:15 AM

ive heard it pretty neat. Spiker bulls always do it as well.

Slicktricker 09-13-2018 06:45 PM

I have a video of that happening from last night had barks and chirps all around for an hour

Jetlee 09-14-2018 08:59 AM

It’s an alarm bark, alerting others that something isn’t quite right.

Wiz 09-14-2018 10:25 AM

We’re u busted?

reddeerhunter 09-14-2018 02:46 PM

Barking

You were seen or winded.
Bark means same thing as when a dog does it.

Someone is there!!!!!!

goldscud 09-15-2018 12:41 AM

She was upwind but located me after a bit after I cow called. She and the other cow stayed for a few minutes and then slowly walked away.

West O'5 09-15-2018 05:08 PM

I had a moose cow roaring at me from <100y away last Oct,I couldn’t see her but it was pretty unnerving thought it was a Sasquatch or grizzly at first,lol....it was crazy loud and nasty sounding....anyhow,after my initial shock and awe (seriously was thinking grizz at first) I realized it was this fabled moose roar I’d heard mention of over the years,but 40+ years hunting and literally hundreds of moose encounters it was the first time I’d ever heard it.Her and calf wandered off and never did see them(only tracks in snow ) and she continued to roar intermittently for at least a few hundred yards but she was going nuts at first when I was closer,it was a gawd awful racket!! 😳

goldscud 09-15-2018 10:53 PM

Had a cow moose do that the other morning in the dark when she winded me. It is a very strange noise for sure. I had seen her and her calf a couple of evenings before so I knew she was in the area.

Remps17 09-18-2018 09:08 AM

Last year I was watching a herd with a 5x5 in it. the 5 starting barking out of the blue in the opposite direction I was. I was 200 yards away. The cows didn't seem to care. From where he was barking came a really big 6X6. The 5 took off in a hurry. The bark sounded just like a other barks I have heard in the past.

Usually barking means somethings up and they sense danger and Sometimes elk do weird things.

350 mag 09-18-2018 09:49 AM

There are 2 calls an Elk will make that are similar.

One is DANGER....Bark.

The other is "show yourself" or popping grunt.

Elknut videos do a good explanation of this call.

I have heard popping grunt and barks and they are somewhat similar but different.

The popping grunt has a higher pitch.

You can use a popping grunt to get an Elk to stop if he's decided to leave. Especially in Archery when your in camo and you spooked them a little but they are not 100% sure what you are.

I have done this and it works.

A popping grunt may also work to get an Elk to show himself.....it's a call that is demanding "show yourself".....

Stinky Buffalo 09-18-2018 12:30 PM

I've had cow elk "alarm" bark at me a couple of times - usually it's one bark, very loud and deliberate. What's demonstrated in the video is a lot calmer (in sound and the elk's posture) than that.

Re: the moose roar - at some point, one of us should record audio of it to share. I've heard it only once, many years ago. It hard to describe, almost like a moose ate a lion for lunch with grizzly for dessert. Very cool sound, and, frankly, a bit terrifying. :eek:

Salavee 09-18-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo (Post 3842660)
I've had cow elk "alarm" bark at me a couple of times - usually it's one bark, very loud and deliberate. What's demonstrated in the video is a lot calmer (in sound and the elk's posture) than that.

Re: the moose roar - at some point, one of us should record audio of it to share. I've heard it only once, many years ago. It hard to describe, almost like a moose ate a lion for lunch with grizzly for dessert. Very cool sound, and, frankly, a bit terrifying. :eek:

Yeah, I've heard that sound from a Cow that was running with a Calf behind.. Hard to associate it with a Moose. Had it explained that a recently bred Cow will will do that if still being pestered by a Bull. Who knows ?

Salavee 09-18-2018 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salavee (Post 3842686)
Yeah, I've heard that sound from a Cow that was running with a Calf behind.. Hard to associate it with a Moose. Had it explained that a recently bred Cow will will do that if still being pestered by a Bull. Who knows ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok-J7ne_yko

The second series is similar to what I heard

Swamp hunter 10-10-2018 03:40 PM

Bull bark

Ive had BIG bulls bark as they come in to my bugle but it ends with a "huff". Heard them do this same thing as they wander from the wall tent late at night. Kind of a locater im guessing.

ktownsend 10-12-2018 11:15 AM

Nice