Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Carrying auger on sled (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=390430)

SamSteele 11-12-2020 07:34 AM

Carrying auger on sled

I’m looking for a few different options to carry my SM 40V on my sled. I have been pulling it in my Pelican sled, but looking for ways to mount it on my 2014 Arctic Cat T570. I know there are a few different styles, like the jaws of ice or the tube styles. What none of them show is how they mount to various sleds.

Anyone have pics of their setups?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 whelen 11-12-2020 07:46 AM

I mounted the Digger ice auger Mount works great

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

SamSteele 11-12-2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35 whelen (Post 4266466)
I mounted the Digger ice auger Mount works great

I see some are mounted on the rear rack and others on the front, over the hood. I’m assuming you have yours on the rear rack? Does it impede using your travel cover?

35 whelen 11-12-2020 09:22 AM

Not on mine ,but if you had the auger on it as you were travelling obviouslyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...636d8e5840.jpg

old dog 11-13-2020 11:09 AM

I use the same mounting bracket on my SxS. Works great

English Setter 11-14-2020 02:58 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f6cff39306.jpg
I have the jaws of ice on the back rack of my ski doo expedition. Carries my Ion nicely. I can’t remember if that is the supplied U-bolt or if I bought a larger pair to fit

coldlaketackleshack 11-17-2020 06:01 PM

I have a digger on the back of both my sleds and the front of my quad they work great

SamSteele 11-17-2020 08:19 PM

Thanks guys. Been looking around and can’t seem to find either of those options locally. Would like to support a local shop if I can instead of ordering online.

honker_clonker 11-18-2020 08:34 AM

I'd consider a front mount as it should provide a smoother ride for the auger and less snow kick up getting onto the auger head. I built a platform/wing on the back of my sled last year for a gear box and auger to try be more mobile. The auger head and half the leg was supported with half the leg hanging off the back. I launched the auger a couple times off of said wing bouncing over some drifts and I wasn't really going that fast. Definitely could secure it better and maybe those other things are more sturdy but something to consider. The moisture/snow on the powerhead is worse for a carburated engine maybe? A cover/garbage bag would be OK too. Things to think about!

35 whelen 11-18-2020 09:14 AM

Front-mounted is the way to go I couldn't get one mounted on mine just the way it was made maybe the newer ones you can

SamSteele 11-18-2020 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honker_clonker (Post 4270221)
I'd consider a front mount as it should provide a smoother ride for the auger and less snow kick up getting onto the auger head. I built a platform/wing on the back of my sled last year for a gear box and auger to try be more mobile. The auger head and half the leg was supported with half the leg hanging off the back. I launched the auger a couple times off of said wing bouncing over some drifts and I wasn't really going that fast. Definitely could secure it better and maybe those other things are more sturdy but something to consider. The moisture/snow on the powerhead is worse for a carburated engine maybe? A cover/garbage bag would be OK too. Things to think about!

That’s good to know. I have the SM 40V, so less worried about fuel and carbs, but certainly don’t want it flying off either.

sportman 11-19-2020 07:11 AM

I believe the Fishin Hole carries the Digger or can get one for you

SamSteele 11-19-2020 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportman (Post 4270627)
I believe the Fishin Hole carries the Digger or can get one for you

They are out of stock. I would like to see one in person before I make a special order to ensure that it will work for my sled.

35 whelen 11-19-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamSteele (Post 4270701)
They are out of stock. I would like to see one in person before I make a special order to ensure that it will work for my sled.

They can easily be adapted to most sled I used a couples hose clamps and U clamps sturdy as can be

AlbertanGP 11-19-2020 01:19 PM

Make sure you confirm the fit of your Strikemaster 40v in a Digger. They don't hold the hex shaft of an Ion G2 properly without modification. Nothing a heat gun doesn't make short work of. But something to be aware of nonetheless.