Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Help finding bolt (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=372155)

Hogie135 11-11-2019 12:01 PM

Help finding bolt

So, I'm in deer camp at the moment and had a mishap with my rifle. I broke my bolt. Borrowing buddies rifle for now. Can anyone help me source a new bolt for a Sako L57? Western gun parts is a no go.

I'd really like to get this fixed as the rifle is beautiful and passed down from my late uncle.

Thanks.

Pioneer2 11-11-2019 12:40 PM

i have to ask

How do you break a bolt aside from beating the action open with a club? Remington comes to mind.

wwbirds 11-11-2019 12:49 PM

not like you can drop in a new bolt

gunsmith is probably required if you can find a bolt and fit it in your rifle for headspace etc. Cant likely drop in and go.

NicoyaHunt 11-11-2019 01:00 PM

Ruger 223

I break the bolt on my Ruger 223, Last week I left my rifle on the back of my truck on the hunting camp site, next day around 9 am was -20 degree, I took the rifle to shoot a coyote at the time I loaded I fill the bolt hard to close, after I shoot, I can not open the bolt 2 day ago at home (the rifle was warm) I try again and bolt open but the bolt body have a crack and the extractor broken, I think was over pressure, so do not shoot your rifle when is so cold

coyote_man 11-11-2019 01:19 PM

You should have told me about the cold and bolt issues 50 years ago when I started calling coyotes.Have never had an issue with a bolt breaking in the cold with a variety of rifle makes.This even includes the Rem 788 which is known to have a weak bolt arm.

teledogs 11-11-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicoyaHunt (Post 4054513)
I break the bolt on my Ruger 223, Last week I left my rifle on the back of my truck on the hunting camp site, next day around 9 am was -20 degree, I took the rifle to shoot a coyote at the time I loaded I fill the bolt hard to close, after I shoot, I can not open the bolt 2 day ago at home (the rifle was warm) I try again and bolt open but the bolt body have a crack and the extractor broken, I think was over pressure, so do not shoot your rifle when is so cold

I have shot a rifle in a lot colder than -20°C with no issues. How about do not shoot hot loads from your rifle.

elkhunter11 11-11-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicoyaHunt (Post 4054513)

The problem wasn't the cold, but it may have had something to so with it being difficult to close the bolt.

Grizzly Adams 11-11-2019 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioneer2 (Post 4054504)
How do you break a bolt aside from beating the action open with a club? Remington comes to mind.

Bolt handles can be welded.

Grizz

NCC 11-11-2019 01:33 PM

Why do guys have to chip in with their smart ass remarks? Offer advice if you know something helpful and move on if you don’t.

Buckhead 11-11-2019 01:47 PM

I think the fellows are trying to be helpful.
If you fire a round and it blows off the extractor and cracks the bolt there is something more that is wrong than getting a new bolt is going to fix.

andy1 11-11-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogie135 (Post 4054492)
So, I'm in deer camp at the moment and had a mishap with my rifle. I broke my bolt. Borrowing buddies rifle for now. Can anyone help me source a new bolt for a Sako L57? Western gun parts is a no go.

I'd really like to get this fixed as the rifle is beautiful and passed down from my late uncle.

Thanks.

U should consult a reputable smith with the full story. You don't want to repeat or kill yourself.

Dean2 11-11-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy1 (Post 4054568)
U should consult a reputable smith with the full story. You don't want to repeat or kill yourself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckhead (Post 4054555)
I think the fellows are trying to be helpful.
If you fire a round and it blows off the extractor and cracks the bolt there is something more that is wrong than getting a new bolt is going to fix.

Both of these guys are spot on. Not doing the OP any favors telling him where to find another bolt till he fixes the issue that pooched the first one.

pikergolf 11-11-2019 02:25 PM

What exactly broke on your bolt?

Hogie135 11-11-2019 03:03 PM

Ok folks, nothing wrong with the gun. It was my stupidity that broke it. Being in deer camp now for last ten days, I decided to bring the gun in from the cold for an oiling.

After taking the bolt out (you'll have to excuse my terminology here), it twists out of position and cant get it back in until it twists back so it goes back in. After trying to google it with crap service, I read a lot of guys put bolt in vise and use channel locks to twist back. I have no Vise so I used two channels locks.

Long story short, I didnt place channel locks properly and broke off one side of the guide (?)

Hogie135 11-11-2019 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic

Pathfinder76 11-11-2019 03:34 PM

Looks to me like it can be repaired.

Xbolt7mm 11-11-2019 03:36 PM

Take it in and see if can be fixed

fps plus 11-11-2019 04:25 PM

The part that is off of bolt is the bolt guide,I assume you blew the extractor right off. Those parts should be available. The bolt needs to be inspected for cracks and the headspace May have been set back

NOTE. The cold did not cause this . This is a pressure issue from ammo!

Hogie135 11-11-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fps plus (Post 4054642)
The part that is off of bolt is the bolt guide,I assume you blew the extractor right off. Those parts should be available. The bolt needs to be inspected for cracks and the headspace May have been set back

Had nothing to do with a shot from the rifle. It was me being careless.

Pathfinder76 11-11-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fps plus (Post 4054642)

You are reading two different stories.

mryimmers 11-11-2019 05:23 PM

Isn't that just the claw extractor that is broken in pic? Maybe not that big a deal provided you can find one.

hogie 11-11-2019 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mryimmers (Post 4054673)
Isn't that just the claw extractor that is broken in pic? Maybe not that big a deal provided you can find one.

That's what it is, been awhile since I disassembled a M98 bolt but I remember the extractor was a pain. Seemed fragile to reinstall.

mryimmers 11-11-2019 06:00 PM

Is this what you broke?

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1553470

Grizzly Adams 11-11-2019 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogie135 (Post 4054605)
Here's a pic

Looks like it just came off the retaining clip, no big deal.

Grizz

Tactical Lever 11-11-2019 07:37 PM

So, is it the guide, or extractor? Can't see anything that is actually broken, from the picture. Shouldn't have to use vice grips or a bench vise to rotate the bolt. And if so, use padding, or wood.

Whatever it is, you definitely don't need a whole bolt. Never heard of a Mauser style claw extractor being described as fragile, though maybe the Ruger ones don't have as much spring.

boah 11-11-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 4054721)
Looks like it just came off the retaining clip, no big deal.

Grizz

Yup, just looks like it needs reassembly.

fps plus 11-12-2019 12:09 PM

You are missing the little locking clip spring . You used to have to buy the whole assembly to get the spring .