Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Trouble (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=380225)

Marty S 04-22-2020 07:41 AM

Trouble

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/22/s...o-new-fur.html

Kinda funny that the photo is of knock off Canada Goose parkas with ranch fox trim!

moose maniac 04-22-2020 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty S (Post 4155188)
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/22/s...o-new-fur.html

Kinda funny that the photo is of knock off Canada Goose parkas with ranch fox trim!

Just add it to the list of 2020

Marty S 04-22-2020 08:45 AM

To me this is concerning, but sounds like they will be buying fur next season yet regardless, dependant upon supply needs, they may need much less due to disruption to the economy.

As theres no place collecting CG coats for recycling and no CG collection bins at Safeway.... good luck with a recycling program. Then on top of that many CG strips are sewn on the hoods.

Then couple that with the fact that 70-80% used strip will have been exposed to Covid-19 and slobber, sneezing and other yuck.

Hopefully this is just a ploy to satisfy the fantasy-fairy mindset of a percentage of western world consumer demands perceived and concerned demented/fairy minded shareholders, and reality will set in.

The big question is: is a CG parka recycling program even practical? Doubtful is my answer. Try to collect the parkas, a challenge, then recover the fur, then how do you revitalize a hammered strip??? Cheaper to use new.

It is concerning tho. Surely a very unwise board decision. Boards just dont work.

Camdec 04-22-2020 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty S (Post 4155226)
To me this is concerning, but sounds like they will be buying fur next season yet regardless, dependant upon supply needs, they may need much less due to disruption to the economy.

As theres no place collecting CG coats for recycling and no CG collection bins at Safeway.... good luck with a recycling program. Then on top of that many CG strips are sewn on the hoods.

Then couple that with the fact that 70-80% used strip will have been exposed to Covid-19 and slobber, sneezing and other yuck.

Hopefully this is just a ploy to satisfy the fantasy-fairy mindset of a percentage of western world consumer demands perceived and concerned demented/fairy minded shareholders, and reality will set in.

The big question is: is a CG parka recycling program even practical? Doubtful is my answer. Try to collect the parkas, a challenge, then recover the fur, then how do you revitalize a hammered strip??? Cheaper to use new.

It is concerning tho. Surely a very unwise board decision. Boards just dont work.

Generally speaking, I don’t believe that consumers purchasing $1000 parkas are looking for used material. I could be wrong.

The fact is, however, that coyote prices have been driven by a fashion trend. Trends change. Time will tell. Everyone would like it to be an endless trend. But...that’s why they call it a trend.

Who knows. Maybe we can look forward to the days of $100 beaver and $12 squirrels. :sHa_shakeshout:

Marty S 04-22-2020 07:04 PM

They should sell a lot more coats now, cuz now EVERYBODY knows they just gonna use recycled fur.

We'll just keep trapping, I suspect there will still continue to be big demand for coyotes. Everybody still wants their piece of the kiyute. The big question is can people still afford it next fall and winter??? or nay???

The End

FishOutOfWater 04-22-2020 09:25 PM

When their little "Buy Back" program fails, they'll come back to their senses.
People just have to remember this in the future, how they turned their backs on us.
And it's not the whole parka, just the "ruff" (which is removable IIRC).

Quote:

Canada Goose, which is based in Toronto, plans to begin buying back the fur ruffs from customers’ coats...

“By reusing fur that is reclaimed, we’re just taking a resource that’s already sustainable and making it even more sustainable,” Dani Reiss, the Canada Goose chief executive, said in an interview.

The shift is an eco-friendly measure, he said, and not related to public pressure from activists.

coyote_man 04-22-2020 09:26 PM

All I can say is that I am glad that I was able to be in on this most recent coyote ride in my golden years. There is a saying" that all good things will someday end." Hoping I am wrong.

HunterDave 04-22-2020 09:45 PM

Does anyone think that they’ll be able to find enough fur to recycle for all the parkas that they make and sell? I doubt it. Maybe they’ll offer customers an option of buying a used ruff which would be a good marketing gimmick or it’s just a PR strategy. I doubt that it’ll amount to much though.

Camdec 04-22-2020 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 4155761)
Does anyone think that they’ll be able to find enough fur to recycle for all the parkas that they make and sell? I doubt it. Maybe they’ll offer customers an option of buying a used ruff which would be a good marketing gimmick or it’s just a PR strategy. I doubt that it’ll amount to much though.

No chance of finding enough “recycled” product. It’s not just the ruff, but what about the goose down. The antis don’t like its use either. They don’t like the consumption of eggs the employees ate for breakfast.

Seems strange that a company built on utilizing a wonderful renewable and superior resource would have such a change of direction. I just hope that the fur marketing agencies have some penetration in doing their best to educate the public on the wonderful resource we have. For fashion and functionality.

I like to think there is more to this story than simply steering away from coyote trim.

Camdec 04-22-2020 10:33 PM

I see the article is written by someone with the New York Times. Has CG actually commented on this?