Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Small compact tractor buy (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=347340)

OpenSights 07-03-2018 07:07 AM

Small compact tractor buy

Hello all

What do guys have or recommend a guy should buy?

I have a small lake lot so id be using it to move trees, cut fire wood, move dirt/gravel and plow the driveway.

Buddy has a little John Deere and it works great. But i want to see what else people have and swear by.

And what size they recommend.

Is there any good dealers with used equipment you recommend?

lannie 07-03-2018 07:11 AM

Kubota makes great tractors in many different configurations. Check out the bx 25's.

Dewey Cox 07-03-2018 08:10 AM

I think you might be happier with a bobcat.

Don K 07-03-2018 08:18 AM

Skid steer of some sort will be 1000x better...

pa_of_6 07-03-2018 08:38 AM

We have a JD 2520

It really is amazing what it can do for its size!

Really like it for around the yard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toungetech 07-03-2018 08:41 AM

Bx series

X2 on the kubota BX series. Very versitile machine with all the the land pride attachments.

reddeerguy2015 07-03-2018 09:06 AM

Developing property: skid steer.

Maintaining property: compact tractor.

BUSHRVN 07-03-2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 (Post 3806389)
Developing property: skid steer.

Maintaining property: compact tractor.

I agree with this. I have an older Kubota and yes it’ll move dirt etc. But it’s just allot slower at it. I don’t regret having it instead of a skid steer, but the odd time when I do need to do a larger amount of dirt moving work it just takes longer. I needed a tiller which the skid steer couldn’t do so that’s what I went with. If you don’t plan on useing it for mowing or tilling etc. then a skid steer might serve you better but once your yard if done skid steers are very heavy and will rut and damage the lawn if used on it much.

OpenSights 07-03-2018 09:23 AM

I have got all the major work done by renting a skidsteer.

So now I'm just maintaining.

Skidsteer's tear the dirt and driveway up too much I find.

Kubota and JD are the main options I think. Will be watching Kijiji and popping into the Red Deer dealers to see my options I think.

Anyone know if the dealers drop their prices on their inventory mid winter? Trying to get rid of the previous years stock? I like a deal and got the time to wait.....

ChrisGrohms 07-03-2018 09:35 AM

We are happy with our JD 3203.

260 Rem 07-03-2018 10:00 AM

I have never actually checked the specs but suspect the JD is heavier than Kobuta? And weight is generally an advantage as tractors go. I would go with agricultural style tires rather than the hybrid or turf. Ag tires don’t do lawn damage on relatively light tractors but are a big plus for work. Of course a loader/bucket it absolutely essential. Go with power steering regardless of tractor size, you will never regret it.

Weebo 07-03-2018 11:16 AM

The John Deere will always hold a better resale value than the other brands but usually are pricier, and they will always have parts available no matter the age whereas others don't carry the parts for a while. Nothing more frustrating than not having parts available for a machine that isn't that old.( In my opinion anyway, but I'm cheap and want them to last as long as me). If your planning on having one for many years spend the$ on green, if your not planning to have that long i would look at other brands as well and go with price. Just my thoughts.

07icanam 07-03-2018 11:26 AM

If you are wanting to go to a tractor I would look at a John Deere, I know Kubota makes a decent tractor but they won't hold the value the Deere will. John Deere has a range of models varying in horsepower and size, there are some more economical ones as well.

yoteblaster 07-03-2018 12:11 PM

Had a Kubota 54 hp with loader and MFWD that I bought brand new. Traded it in on a similarly equipped JD. Good move.

Ken07AOVette 07-03-2018 12:33 PM

I looked at Kubota and Ciyote (sp?) and everything available before I bought another John Deere. 0 percent financing, absolutely runs like a top, and like everyone knows yes you pay more, but look in the for sale ads, on kijiji and at auctions. If you want a cheap Kubota go to an auction the prices I have seen are disgustingly cheap. I have been watching a couple try and sell their non JD acreage tractor for 2 years or more, trying to get out of the payments. Will never happen.
If you want reliable, excellent features and excellent resale buy a JD.

My 2032r just clicked over 100 hrs, next August will no longer cost me a penny as the payments will be done, and I bet I can sell it for nearly what I paid for it new. I have a FEL, mm mower, big rototiller and a weight box, which has never been needed.
The 4x4 is just awesome too.

chasingtail 07-03-2018 02:40 PM

My 27 year old Kubota 20 HP is still going strong, mower and tilling 5 acres. Be either Kubota or JD when I finally replace it.
Don't suspect the new ones are built as well (plastic instead of metal) and don't come with Bi-Speed turning.

OpenSights 07-03-2018 02:43 PM

I think I'm leaning towards the JD after a bit of research.

New are pricey but ill keep a eye open for a used one I think.

AlbertaAl 07-03-2018 03:00 PM

I bought a JD 955 purhcased brand new 26 years ago and I still use it evreryday.
THe hour clock stopped long ago but I estimate 8000 hours.
It has turf tires, hydrostatic, front wheel assist, and posi trac, 3 PTH, PS
33 HP diesel, mid-mount & rear PTO

Look for a used 955 or the next smaller model 855 ...and have it shipped to you regardless where it is... worth the money & time.
The new John Deeres are toys compared to the older models.

Ken07AOVette 07-03-2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbertaAl (Post 3806580)
I bought a JD 955 purhcased brand new 26 years ago and I still use it evreryday.
THe hour clock stopped long ago but I estimate 8000 hours.
It has turf tires, hydrostatic, front wheel assist, and posi trac, 3 PTH, PS
33 HP diesel, mid-mount & rear PTO

Look for a used 955 or the next smaller model 855 ...and have it shipped to you regardless where it is... worth the money & time.
The new John Deeres are toys compared to the older models.

the main reason I got rid of my old JD was to have a live PTO. Clutch driven PTO is a PITA when you are trying to till. Hated it. Stop put in neutral sit stop clutch in back in gear crawls ahead bang bang stop in neutral clutch out- bah! :angry3:

I still say buy new, its an easy payment instead of lump sum, no interest, warranty, that new tractor smell, nobody else has abused it and hidden the damage.

Twisted Canuck 07-03-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette (Post 3806582)
the main reason I got rid of my old JD was to have a live PTO. Clutch driven PTO is a PITA when you are trying to till. Hated it. Stop put in neutral sit stop clutch in back in gear crawls ahead bang bang stop in neutral clutch out- bah! :angry3:

That is probably how your prostate is starting to sound at your age too Ken....those can be a real PITA as well I've been told. :)

Supergrit 07-03-2018 07:03 PM

I have been looking for a while at used prices most of time the used price is so close to new that there is no advantage to buying used.

Norwest Alta 07-03-2018 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supergrit (Post 3806695)
I have been looking for a while at used prices most of time the used price is so close to new that there is no advantage to buying used.

Yes pretty much unless it comes with a bunch of implements. I couldn't say which tractor is the best buy. I'm not a big fan of jd green but there's lots of it out there so there must be something to it. I just haven't figured out what.

3 pt hitch, loader and fwa would be a prerequisite though.

Supergrit 07-03-2018 10:45 PM

[QUOTE=Norwest Alta;3806707]Yes pretty much unless it comes with a bunch of implements. I couldn't say which tractor is the best buy. I'm not a big fan of jd green but there's lots of it out there so there must be something to it. I just haven't figured out what.

3 pt hitch, loader and fwa would be a prerequisite though.[/

Yeh when I purched my zero turn ride on JD were pushing a 1000 dollars above the cost of husqavarna I went with the husqavarna and have been happy with it. If a person went with another brand other then JD could get a bigger machine for same cost. Lots to consider I guess lol maybe next year for me hopefully

alberteh 07-03-2018 11:14 PM

i bought mine (massey ferguson) from a guy near nisku.

https://doublellindustries.com/ He is a super small dealer that has only a few tractors for sale at a time. wait and see what pops up over the next few months the stock is always changing.

DiabeticKripple 07-03-2018 11:29 PM

if youre around calgary and looking for a Deere, my BIL is a salesman at the Balzac dealer. He could set you up with what you need.

Reeves1 07-04-2018 05:22 AM

RME (Rocky Mountain Equipment) in Westlock sold me a one size bigger + two more attachments than JD could. Same $.

BX 25 D

Very happy with it & Kubota has a good name

OpenSights 07-04-2018 08:45 AM

Found 2 JD 3032E used with under 500 hrs on them.

Both only have buckets for attachments but are going for around 17K.

I'll go look this weekend and if they are in good shape may offer around 16K and see what happens.

That is a decent price compared to new at around 27-30K....

Big Grey Wolf 07-04-2018 08:46 AM

Ford 9 or 8N. Mine is 70 years old still going strong. Payed $2000 about 20 years ago still pulling 6 ft finishing mower. JD marten equip salesman dropped by this spring to sell me new green paint machine. Told him I would buy it if would warranty it for 70 years to still be running.

357xp 07-04-2018 08:59 AM

I would have a tuff time trading my kub for a deere. And iam a deere guy when it comes to the bigger tractors.

Iron Brew 07-04-2018 12:46 PM

Kubota for the smaller stuff. Be aware of the different frame sizes and get what suits you.

LS is supposed to be very good, but limited dealers. FWIW I have two Kubota (tractor and loader). I swear by them, not at them.