Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Country Folk vs City Folk (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=371921)

sns2 11-06-2019 05:39 PM

Country Folk vs City Folk

Reading on another thread about trespassers and a new member make a smart aleck comment that it must be city folk or acreage folk if they are trespassing.

Folks, if this is how you think, you best get a grip on reality. Living in the country does not make you a saint and likewise living in the city does not make you a jerk.

These comments are divisive in the very worst way and won't be tolerated.

trigger7mm 11-06-2019 05:47 PM

Country folk vs city folk

In our area, the locals are the ones who seem to do most of the trespassing. East Central Alberta.

Pathfinder76 11-06-2019 05:53 PM

He didn’t say anything about them trespassing, he was referring to their empathy for trespassing. At least that’s how I understood it.

pikergolf 11-06-2019 05:54 PM

Hunters as a group and a broad generality have more than their fair share of undesirables in it. I know this won't be a popular statement but it's true. Young men high on testosterone trying to prove their manhood by getting a deer or shooting up the countryside is just the way it is. Sadly it reflects on those that are for lack of a better word "righteous". Before anyone spins out I did say it was a broad generality.

AndrewM 11-06-2019 05:56 PM

Most city people that I know grew up in the country.

270person 11-06-2019 06:02 PM

I've always found that rural trespassers will 90% of the time live within 30 miles. Had lots of proof of that this season.

Rural neighbours are great for saying..." oh sure, I know Bob. He doesn't mind me being on his land."

City guys tend to be more gunshy.

tri777 11-06-2019 06:29 PM

To sns2's point also, there's tons of country folk currently living the cities. When it comes down to it, were all just residing on planet called Earth.

NewGuard84 11-06-2019 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sns2 (Post 4051638)
Reading on another thread about trespassers and a new member make a smart aleck comment that it must be city folk or acreage folk if they are trespassing.

Folks, if this is how you think, you best get a grip on reality. Living in the country does not make you a saint and likewise living in the city does not make you a jerk.

These comments are divisive in the very worst way and won't be tolerated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tri777 (Post 4051673)
To sns2's point also, there's tons of country folk currently living the cities. When it comes down to it, were all just residing on planet called Earth.

Agreed x2. I’ve always wondered why the “citiot” type comments were so prevalent. They are not accurate as a generalization and are blindly divisive. I equally dislike any “yokel” comments I hear, again foolish and inaccurate.

My experience is that Alberta has a special western cultural heritage where the country and city dwelling folk celebrate and respect both worlds.

Alberta is also a place where a lot of people spend a good amount of time in both settings, coming to appreciate the best of both (and loathe the worst of both).

We need to stick together, not look for reasons to divide into “us” and “them”.

Happy hunting this fall!

marky_mark 11-06-2019 07:01 PM

Typically,
I found landowners to be more empathic and accepting of farmers or or people from the rurals. Might be because these people know to close gates, not to make ruts, dont shoot animals in the middle of their livestock, dont drive on the swaths etc.

roper1 11-06-2019 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marky_mark (Post 4051712)
Typically,
I found landowners to be more empathic and accepting of farmers or or people from the rurals. Might be because these people know to close gates, not to make ruts, dont shoot animals in the middle of their livestock, dont drive on the swaths etc.

Good summary! City people no better or worse than country, but most certainly unaware of grain & livestock realities.

Lefty-Canuck 11-06-2019 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roper1 (Post 4051727)
Good summary! City people no better or worse than country, but most certainly unaware of grain & livestock realities.

Grew up on a farm, have many farmer family and friends. Spend lots of time at a barn, but I live in a City.

Is that a kiss of death where I hang my hat? :)

LC

huntinstuff 11-06-2019 08:02 PM

I always laugh at those comments

Im from the country originally

I moved to the city. Why?

Uh, opportunity? Education? A house that if it were located in my hometown would be mistaken for a hotel? Lol

Cmon guys. City dwellers are far from stupid or lost or otherwise disconnected from nature.

And frankly, we smell better than you farm type.......🙀

Bushrat 11-06-2019 08:12 PM

There's good and bad from both city and country. In my experience the worst most prolific trespassing poachers tend to come from the country. They know every back road, trail, field, woodlot, gate and every farm house, who and how many live there, when and where they work, how many dogs and their names. They know whats in your garage , barn or outbuildings. They live in the area 24-7 and can invade a farm with little chance of getting caught. Landowners are not as willing to report their neighbors for fear that these lowlifes will be back to steal their diesel, quad or do other nefarious deeds in retaliation. Its a lot easier for a farmer to report a 'city slicker' they don't know and will not likely ever see again than the local lowlife thieving poachers that lives the next concession over or 2 miles down the road that they see every week at the gas station or grocery store or may even be related to in some way. Every township in the countryside has more than their fair share of these miscreants and they can be a real problem.

Dewey Cox 11-06-2019 08:17 PM

Don't rile up the city folk, or they'll vote us another NDP government.

;)

sns2 11-06-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey Cox (Post 4051812)

;)

LOL. Best post in a long time!

elkhunter11 11-06-2019 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey Cox (Post 4051812)

;)

Edmonton tried to.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

roper1 11-06-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 4051787)
Grew up on a farm, have many farmer family and friends. Spend lots of time at a barn, but I live in a City.

Is that a kiss of death where I hang my hat? :)

LC

No malice here. Lots of studies show how few people really understand their food production. Think brown cows make chocolate milk:) Something like 90+% of Canadians are urban, 90% of that # are at least 2 generations Ag removed. That leaves a lot of people who just don't even realize what a swath is, much less that it's bad to drive on one. That even leaves out the # of new Canadians hunting, many from countries that have never seen our idea of agriculture.

Lefty-Canuck 11-06-2019 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roper1 (Post 4051829)
No malice here. Lots of studies show how few people really understand their food production. Think brown cows make chocolate milk:) Something like 90+% of Canadians are urban, 90% of that # are at least 2 generations Ag removed. That leaves a lot of people who just don't even realize what a swath is, much less that it's bad to drive on one. That even leaves out the # of new Canadians hunting, many from countries that have never seen our idea of agriculture.

I was picking up you were laying down , was more of a tongue in cheek comment :)

LC

Who Da Fisherman 11-06-2019 10:06 PM

Last year with all the swaths left in field due to the weather were only being driven over by the guys who knew exactly what they are. At least it was this way back in rural Saskatchewan where I the now city folk person was hunting..
Just saying........
WDF

amosfella 11-06-2019 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntinstuff (Post 4051797)

Uh, opportunity? Education? A house that if it were located in my hometown would be mistaken for a hotel? Lol

Cmon guys. City dwellers are far from stupid or lost or otherwise disconnected from nature.

Yep... You're one of 'em citer' people now... Brain got switched off soon as you drove into them there city limits... It'll take 5 years in the sticks to get yer brain restarted... :sHa_sarcasticlol:

marky_mark 11-06-2019 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntinstuff (Post 4051797)

Cmon, when you ask for permission
Do you say your from the city or do you say your from a farm?

huntinstuff 11-06-2019 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marky_mark (Post 4051917)
Cmon, when you ask for permission
Do you say your from the city or do you say your from a farm?

Permission?????

😹😹😹😹😹😹😹

But seriously, when they see my license plate, they usually laugh and we chat and 99% say yeah go ahead boy

KegRiver 11-06-2019 10:53 PM

Hey! I know the difference.

City folk are, wait for it , , , people.

Where as country folk are , , , people.

That's the difference summarized.

tikka250 11-06-2019 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marky_mark (Post 4051712)
Typically,

^^^This^^^
Landowners are more apt to be trustworthy of someone who they perceive as trustworthy. If someone is from 10 miles down the road on another farm they are more apt to be trusting of the way they carry themselves around crop, fences, livestock, machinery etc. if someone says they are from Vancouver and work at an accounting firm it's harder to know what knowledge or respect they have for those same rural things.
Don't get me wrong I know some locals who by all rights should probably be charged with one thing or other and some city folk who treat the land better than the rancher that owns it.

huntinstuff 11-06-2019 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tikka250 (Post 4051924)
^^^This^^^
Landowners are more apt to be trustworthy of someone who they perceive as trustworthy. If someone is from 10 miles down the road on another farm they are more apt to be trusting of the way they carry themselves around crop, fences, livestock, machinery etc. if someone says they are from Vancouver and work at an accounting firm it's harder to know what knowledge or respect they have for those same rural things.
Don't get me wrong I know some locals who by all rights should probably be charged with one thing or other and some city folk who treat the land better than the rancher that owns it.

My son is 20 and is currently up near “Keg River” neck of the woods. He has secured 61 quarters of land to hunt in the past 5 days. He simply asks nicely, states he has a bow and a rifle, tells them his name and where he’s from, and bingo! He bought an MD map, the farmers are circling their quarters on the map for him, and he’s just polite and honest. Doesn’t take much.

backstraps 11-06-2019 11:08 PM

I like this thread, grew up in the country and now liven in the city. Still love hunting as much as I did when growing up. My experiences are the worst rule breakers were young rural men. They knew what they could get away with and only followed hunting regs that they didn't think were stupid. Brothers and neighbors knew exactly who was cruising the fields at night but no one did anything about it. I chuckle whenever I read how bad us city folk are because I know a lot of rural folk who make their own rules when it comes to hunting. Now I just go as far into public land as I can get and stay away from all that fuss. Feels like hunting when I don't see fences and I don't have a warm house to go to after hiking all day. Each to his own but getting up early and hunting for 3 hours in the morning just to hit the diner at noon for brunch and then back out for an hour cruising gravel roads in the evening is not extreme enough when I only get a couple weeks a year to leave the city. Unfortunately that is my experience with rural hunters! That being said my fellow city hunters scare me sometimes when I run into them in the bush simply from what sometimes is a pretty obvious lack of experience, and yes sometimes ignorance. Bad apples on both sides no doubt!

JD848 11-06-2019 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntinstuff (Post 4051927)
My son is 20 and is currently up near “Keg River” neck of the woods. He has secured 61 quarters of land to hunt in the past 5 days. He simply asks nicely, states he has a bow and a rifle, tells them his name and where he’s from, and bingo! He bought an MD map, the farmers are circling their quarters on the map for him, and he’s just polite and honest. Doesn’t take much.

People see the good in many ways on both sides, like your son must have good people skills and has zero problem getting by.

Be polite, honest and just be yourself reflex's a pile of confidence and most smart people like this in both male or females.

Biggest turn on for me is a solid confident women,it's the greatest asset they have,besides a few other minor details.

Some guys have zero people skills and whether there city or country they just don't fit in.

Be good to others always and you will be surprised at the dividends that come back your way.

CHEERS TO ALL
JD

270person 11-06-2019 11:43 PM

Biggest difference? City hunters will ask for permission 50% of the time.

Rural guys will ask for permission 2% of the time.

It's not the city boys pulling down fences with their quads on the pvt land I hunt, allowing 70 cattle from the adjacent lease to walk in. Fun job for the 83 yr old landowner. It's guys living within 10 miles that don't feel there should be fences on land they want to hunt. It's their land too apparently.

The trespasser I caught on land this September in 521 near Crooked Creek? All he'd done was drive down a no access allowed road, parked beside a grazing lease with 200 head on it, and walked right in with his rifle. I took lots of pics, called report a poacher thru ihunter....bingo...2 days later Mr Debolt got a visit from the authorities.

The 58 trespassers on colony land in North 521 in October all lived in the area. Worst truck hunting, shoot from vehicle jackhandles I've come across in 50 years hunting.

Sorry kids. Want to know who's on your land without permission? Check out your own neighbourhood.

fishnguy 11-06-2019 11:55 PM

A pretty silly thing to believe either way. I would guess those landowners who live in immediate proximity to a city, have more “city folk” trespassing on their land; for those who live out in the boonies, it is the local crowd. With a few exceptions of the popular “hunting spots”, most likely the further away from the city your land is, the more local the problem gets and vice versa. Just because of the numbers, can’t see it working otherwise.

I only know a few landowners around here (Peace River area), rather there are only a few quarters of land that I sometimes spend my time on. And I am sure there are landowners in this area who would say otherwise because it’s one of those “popular hunting spots”, but on these particular quarters the problem is almost exclusively “local”, and the folk doing bad things are not even from the town, but from the county or from a county next to that one. In fact, in one case last year and the worst I have seen so far, it was the guy next door, so to speak, who shot up a bunch of elk and only took one of them. He dragged the rest of them with his quad out of view, but I guess he didn’t think of the birds making a fuss and that there could be someone hunting on that piece of land with no house on it. I mean there are just dumb people out there. Another funny thing is that some of them are dumb enough to do their hunting where they shouldn’t in their company trucks, lol. Back in September-October, I “caught” a dude hunting out of a Richardson Pioneer truck. There were a few others in the few years past.

The fact everyone knows each other is also not exactly a fact. One guy is probably 90 or something years old and lived on his quarter most of his life. He doesn’t know half the people who own land around his. Probably partially because it had been sold and bought a few times in his lifetime; and then some of it is owned by farmers living in another county whom he sees seeding, spraying and combining the fields, so about three or four times a year and always in the cabin. A few years ago he was shot at unintentionally while standing next to his house. The bullet just missed him. After he drove out to the field to approach the guy, the guy had to literally be slapped by the his wife who was hunting with him back into his senses and admit the guilt and apologize. The guy was local. (This one is the landowner’s story, from his mouth to my ears).

I also find it hilarious when after being asked what the person is doing here and if they have permission to be here, most say they do, in fact, have permission, and say some random name they got the permission from. “Oh yeah, it’s John.” Some have it in them to continue the narrative even after being confronted “No? Oh, John is the guy who rents the field.” “No? Well, that’s the legal land description he gave me!”

Two or three years ago, there was a dog chasing a buck before he was shot after lights out, all caught on trail camera. The two guys who drove into a swathed field were not recognized by the landowner but were by someone else as residents of the same county. Then there was a guy who drove over the swaths all the way to the other end of the field to load in a doe and he was a “towny”.

And I am not even a landowner to have these stories I witnessed myself in the past 4-5 years. In this period of time, I also met one landowner who I am sure would be certified as insane if he was tested and surely prescribed some serious medications; this opinion was also confirmed to me by the guy leasing a huge chunk of land around his quarter.

Long story short, it’s pretty shortsighted to believe that one group of people is worse than the other because of where they live. It’s probably about the location. I am pretty sure people are more or less equally crazy, regardless of where they reside. And both groups depend on each other: some folks grow crops/cattle for others to buy; some folks built machines for others to use; and so on. It’s not rocket silence. Neither could have the livelihood they do without existence of another.

Edit: holy smokes it turned out to be long post.

RO CC 11-07-2019 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 270person (Post 4051937)
Biggest difference? City hunters will ask for permission 50% of the time.

Rural guys will ask for permission 2% of the time.

It's not the city boys pulling down fences with their quads on the pvt land I hunt, allowing 70 cattle from the adjacent lease to walk in. Fun job for the 83 yr old landowner. It's guys living within 10 miles that don't feel there should be fences on land they want to hunt. It's their land too apparently.

The trespasser I caught on land this September in 521 near Crooked Creek? All he'd done was drive down a no access allowed road, parked beside a grazing lease with 200 head on it, and walked right in with his rifle. I took lots of pics, called report a poacher thru ihunter....bingo...2 days later Mr Debolt got a visit from the authorities.

The 58 trespassers on colony land in North 521 in October all lived in the area. Worst truck hunting, shoot from vehicle jackhandles I've come across in 50 years hunting.

Sorry kids. Want to know who's on your land without permission? Check out your own neighbourhood.

Hear, hear!