Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Strange catches (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=427983)

antlercarver 12-27-2023 07:30 AM

Strange catches

Snared a coyote carrying a rabbit, the coyote was dead with the rabbit along side the neck inside the snare.
A mink was dragging a muskrat when they went into a 110 conibear, they were both dead side by side.
A muskrat triggered a 330 conibear, the trap was closed with the rat dead and floating 4-5 feet away.
Probably others I cant remember.

H380 12-27-2023 07:54 AM

Ended up with a bone from the baitpile in coyote snares a couple times ,bet most guys have ...coyotes caught by only a couple back toes as well one caught by the end of the nose also in snares .

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

South west trappin RG 12-27-2023 11:21 AM

Caught two young lynx in one 330. Caught a rabbit in a 330 baited with beaver

wwbirds 12-27-2023 11:42 AM

2 gophers in a 110 mag

Big Grey Wolf 12-27-2023 01:17 PM

Guys some interesting strange catches, however we might limit some of the ones that are extreme, PITA waiting for stuff like this.

kingrat 12-27-2023 05:18 PM

Caught an otter in a Fisher box this year set on the ground that's the first for me. Caught several fox in them but never an otter.

Battle Rat 12-27-2023 06:12 PM

Had a coyote leg bone in a snare that another coyote took of the carcass pile.
Had a fisher in a coyote snare about 200km south of where I would expect to see a fisher.

Powder monkey 12-27-2023 06:26 PM

I had a dead coyote in a snare with the head of a wild boar piglet beside it.

oldjeda 12-28-2023 04:48 AM

Odd ones

Caught a coyote in a neck snare but around the base of his tail. He was dragging pieces of an old carcass out of a bait station and had backed into it. Caught a cougar dog after the cougar he was chasing led him and his buddies through the middle of another bait station (smart cat).

H380 12-28-2023 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 4687372)
Guys some interesting strange catches, however we might limit some of the ones that are extreme, PITA waiting for stuff like this.

I think that's why these guys haven't submitted pics.

Big Grey Wolf 12-28-2023 10:44 AM

Rich had interesting catch set mink trap by creek and marten trap/box up real high on leaning pole. When he did trap check had mink on leaning pole and marten down by the creek.

moose maniac 12-30-2023 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by South west trappin RG (Post 4687346)
Caught two young lynx in one 330. Caught a rabbit in a 330 baited with beaver

Ha ha I did to

fred1 01-03-2024 09:28 PM

Strange Catch

One spring I was doing gopher control near my yard. Thought I would try a plastic tube trap (might be called black hole) I think they are designed to place in a mole tunnel. They are not good on gophers. I had a few pieces of popcorn left in a bag in my truck so I thought I’ll try this for bait. In the morning a skunk was hanging from the trap by his very pointy nose. With his wind cut off I don’t think he went 10 ft. If I knew how to load pics I would find it & do so.

Marty S 01-04-2024 08:02 AM

I think i caught a dirt bike once in a snare when i was a kid!

Buddy caught a dutchman once in a ram at the forks, of course i got blamed!

Most strange animal catch was a bobcat in a snare with a cottontail between the snare and its neck, cat still down quick.

Caught a black coon once, very pretty coon, wish i hadnt sold it, tho we have a bunch in the store now tanned.

Never a black coyote or leucistic or albino, not even a single cross or silver fox. Couple blue/gray bobcats, those were neat. Never seen one of those ever at the sale. At least one ended up in a museum somewhere in Ont.

1 cougar once, that was cool for me. Too bad the AB govt prefers to incinerate them rather than somebody utilize.

catnthehat 01-04-2024 10:48 AM

When HMW was building the water reservoir , Timberlea sundivision was still barely developed, and my brother and a friend would set rabbit snares before work and check the at lunch or at quitting time . One day they went to check the snares and their was a big 'ol fisher in one of them!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

antlercarver 01-04-2024 02:32 PM

Rabbit snare

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 4689371)
When HMW was building the water reservoir , Timberlea sundivision was still barely developed, and my brother and a friend would set rabbit snares before work and check the at lunch or at quitting time . One day they went to check the snares and their was a big 'ol fisher in one of them!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

Rabbit snares will never hold a fisher. Someone must have been fooling with you.

3blade 01-04-2024 02:36 PM

The neighbors cat, in a little havahart baited with peanut butter, and the damn thing was facing the wrong way when I found him, as if he backed in. Which meant I had to deal with the sharp end to let him out and he was displeased with his sticky predicament.

I gave him a washing for his trouble, to make sure he didn’t do it again. He didn’t.

catnthehat 01-05-2024 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antlercarver (Post 4689457)
Rabbit snares will never hold a fisher. Someone must have been fooling with you.

Well you can think whatever you want to, I saw the picture, and yes it was a fisher.
My bother put it on his trapline license .

Cat

Big Grey Wolf 01-05-2024 10:59 AM

Cat if your brother included it with license it must have been a fisher as F&W need to fill out report and place metal tag on it. However fisher are very aggressive when trapped, have had them break trapping chains to get away.

Talking moose 01-05-2024 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 4689589)
Well you can think whatever you want to, I saw the picture, and yes it was a fisher.
My bother put it on his trapline license .

Cat

I believe it.
Some people (I don’t know why) snare rabbit with light cable type snares.
And even if it was the heavy gold type(brass?), it might hold a young fisher. Especially if it was caught not long before checking the snare.

Talking moose 01-05-2024 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 4689688)
Cat if your brother included it with license it must have been a fisher as F&W need to fill out report and place metal tag on it. However fisher are very aggressive when trapped, have had them break trapping chains to get away.

Have seen fisher caught in a foothold and toggle. Looked like a war zone and every small tree and shrub was chewed off until the toggle finally held.

dgl1948 01-06-2024 06:10 AM

I caught a weasel in a leghold coyote set once. It clamped onto its body killing it. The weasel died with a mouse in its mouth. It was not letting go of its catch.

Glas Ó Cairealláin 01-06-2024 11:42 AM

Black Coyote

Our friend's grandpa Chester caught a black coyote. He has it all tanned up & it's quite a beautiful animal for sure, so rare! This old fella (just turned 90) has been a trapper and sheep outfitter for over 44 years but only recently sold his trapline. Chester also has an AMAZING trophy barn, and he will be donating all his trophies to a museum in Rocky sometime this year. I think that will include the melanistic coyote.

catnthehat 01-06-2024 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 4689688)

I was running a registered line at the time as well.
We used to use picture hanger wire for rabbit snares.
Cat

204ruger 01-18-2024 02:24 PM

I caught a coyote in a snare but it looked like it had two heads because it had two sets of teeth. What happened was it grabbed a head from a dead coyote I put on bait and running out it got caught in a snare and the skull it had in it’s mouth went perfectly under its jaw. making it look like it had two mouths. It’s hard to explain and I can’t seem to figure out how to post pictures.

I also have caught a black coyote. Completely jet black.

Northwinds 01-18-2024 04:06 PM

I caught a pike in a 330 conibear.

H380 01-18-2024 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northwinds (Post 4694092)
I caught a pike in a 330 conibear.

Haha..me too and a cow [emoji230]...the old man wasn't impressed [emoji35]

AtimoseMan 01-22-2024 08:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Was out cutting wood recently and fell a dead poplar tree. Noticed an abandoned wood pecker hole. Cut the block at the nest and noticed something red. Pulled the insert of the nest out and there was a red face cloth in the nest. Thought it would fit this post of odd catches.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attac...1&d=1705982046

Grizzly Adams1 01-24-2024 05:19 PM

Not in a trap, but in a tree at my place well east of Sundre . First thought was , what's that cat doing up there ?

https://i.imgur.com/1IsPKOC.jpg