Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   My 12 year old Daughter wants a rifle, What to get? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=320143)

needmoretoys 04-20-2017 07:42 PM

My 12 year old Daughter wants a rifle, What to get?

So my 12 year old Daughter wants her own rifle for this fall. She is pretty petite and only 60lbs. I'm thinking a nice Browning Midas series Xbolt in .243

She is a very good shot ( helps to be patient) with her 10/22 Target. She shoots foam ear plugs at 50 yards and usually beats me on our duelling tree at 100 yards. Guess I should stop using the bolt action 😑

She is not scared of the guns, but I do not want anything that causes here to be scared. This will then reck my plan of having a great hunting partner.

She has also expressed interest in a 20 gauge with light loads for grouse this fall. Going to be a fun and expensive shopping trip.

JustBen 04-20-2017 07:48 PM

I just bought my wife a model seven in 243. If you handload, it's a very capable caliber.

catnthehat 04-20-2017 07:48 PM

Try to get her behind some friend's rifles and try them out for fit and felt recoil .
Could be she can handle a 243 or a 260 etc, no problem:)
Don't know and can't tell until she tries it !:)
Cat

double gun 04-20-2017 07:49 PM

Good choice.
Also look at the cz 527 carbine in 7.62x39 and the Remington model 7 in 243

Dick284 04-20-2017 07:55 PM

Let her choose the rifle.

Sounds like a daddy daughter, shopping trip is in the making.

.243, 260, 6.5 Swede, 7-08, 7x57, 30/30, 7.62x39....... and some I've missed for sure.

Scottmisfits 04-20-2017 08:00 PM

Check out the Remington 700 ADL. They offer it with a youth stock in a few different configurations.
The rifle I got for my son is a Weatherby Vangaurd S2 in 243. Great functioning rifle. I really like the 3 position safety on the bolt.
Head to your nearest shop and let her feel a few and see what will be good. Even a full sized rifle and putting a stock that can be cut down to fit her might be ok. That's where I really like the Remington 700 youth stock. It's not great but it has removable spacers to change the LOP for someone with sorter arms.

BuckCuller 04-20-2017 08:05 PM

243 is a great kids gun.

Start out slow on the 243 when you go shooting have her shoot the 22 between groups of 243 helps from getting a flinch.
I picked up a savage axis youth model 243 from a fellow AO member for my kids. I developed a load that shoots .8 moa pretty consistent.
Pretty darn good for a 450 dollar package rifle.

Deer Hunter 04-20-2017 08:08 PM

Model 7 compact in 243win. Short LOP, lighter weight. Great 1st gun.
It's great that she's interested in guns and hunting!

58thecat 04-20-2017 08:09 PM

I like this thread, father and daughter adventure into her very own big game rifle...nothing wrong with the little .243, a very user friendly, very capeable calibre now let her shoulder a few rifles to see what fits, feels good to her.

JTRED 04-20-2017 08:16 PM

Last summer I bought a Savage Axis youth Model in 7mm-08 for my two daughters, aged 13 and 15. Both love shooting but only the younger one likes to hunt. The Savage is a really good entry level rifle, in fact I took it on all of my backpack hunts last fall, it is almost 3.5" shorter than all my other hunting rifles. I like what the 7mm-08 has to offer low recoil, good bullet selection and still a viable option for moose and elk. I know the 243 is capable of taking moose and elk I just think it's marginal, especially in the hands of a relatively inexperienced hunter.

sage 13 04-20-2017 08:18 PM

7mm-08 would be my choice

needmoretoys 04-20-2017 08:18 PM

Ya, she is pumped. She had me book her the Alberta Youth Hunter Education Camp for her this July. She wanted me to volunteer, but they already had enough for,the week she picked.

Love her determination when she has a goal in mind. I almost feel bad for the grouse and deer this fall. She is also talking about how it might be nice to go for a cougar this winter.

fps plus 04-20-2017 08:24 PM

If you could find a good bolt action in 250 savage .i have owned both 243 and 250 and the 250 feels to recoil less . The problem is lack of rifle selection in that caliber .

colroggal 04-20-2017 08:47 PM

Sounds exciting. Although we have no kids I have nephew who is beginning to show some interest. Until then I live vicariously through guys like you.

Almost any short action cartridge should suit her. (.308 and fatter can get a little snappier) but .243 would be my pick. It's a shame th3 .243 wssm never really caught on because it is darn near the perfect youth round.

I started with a 30-30 and my own uncle always said I needed to get close enough to see the whites of their eyes.

I'd say buy a decent new rifle or a decent used rifle because she'll likely outgrow it and you can recoup most of your original cost if/when you sell it.

Whatever you get for her, get her shooting off sticks single knee or standing first. This will mitigate her first impressions of recoil. Put her on the bench once she splits a cheek from grinning. Mind, you might be the one to split a cheek first.

As for the shotgun, a single shot Cooey or H&R will be cheap enough. Cut the butt to fit and slap on a decent recoil pad. Both have an external hammer and simple functions. Keep in mind the hammer weight on some of the later Cooey 840s can be a little heavy for little hands both to cock and lower to safe.

Good luck and make sur3 we get pics of that grin.

Colin

Brobee 04-20-2017 09:09 PM

I think your idea for a Micro Midas in .243 is an excellent idea...it's what I have for my 11 year old daughter and she's been shooting it like a champ. She turns 12 this summer and is pumped for her first big-game hunt this coming fall. In the meantime we practice every couple of weeks with her .243.

Re shotgun - if all you're hunting is grouse I would recommend a .410 like the mossberg 510 mini or 500 youth. My oldest has graduated from the .410 to a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 Bantam, however she can only handle winchester AA extra light low recoil low noise shells - anything heavier causes her pain. My 10 year old is afraid of the 20 gauge, but is just now getting to the point she is comfortable with the .410.

Cheers, and good luck!

Jason

700-223 04-20-2017 10:43 PM

Add Tikka Compact T3 to your list. That's what I got for my daughter in 243, though I would have gone 7mm-08 if it had been available. Has a shorter LOP and a 1 inch spacer you can put back in when they're older. I believe it has a 12.5 - 13.5" LOP.

Savage Lightweight hunter might be a good one too. Pick out a few good candidates and let her pick.

My daughter wanted a Weatherby something or other compact with a horrible pink speckled stock. Had a 20" barrel, but was much heavier and not as nice (IMO) as the Tikka so I talked her into the Tikka. The Tikka might've been a better choice for her, but I should have just bought her the #*@ rifle she was excited about.

Sask Bearman 04-20-2017 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sage 13 (Post 3522083)
7mm-08 would be my choice

Agreed. Started 3 of my kid's off with this caliber and Remington makes a reduced recoil load. Not that regular loads are heavy recoil but I did load it down a bit for my kids to start.

LarryG 04-21-2017 02:32 AM

Considering she is only 60 lbs, I suggest sticking to a .243 and something like Hornady Custom Lite Ammo. You can upgrade it later on as she gains size and experience.

As far as which model, it sounds like you want to buy new. Going to the gunshop and checking them out is the only solution. I would look at the savage axis, the browning xbolt micro and the ruger compact.

I shot a 20 gauge single as a 12 year old, and even with a recoil pad found it to be pretty intense to shoot. Which translated into a flinching problem I had to overcome later. I have coached smaller kids a few times, and they all loved the 410 cooey single. But even a 28 gauge cooey was too much for them kick wise, surprisingly.

So go easy on her and start light!

For a shotgun, I recommend a full choked 410 single shot,and lots of practice for grouse. Corwin arms still has a few of their single shot 410's left in stock. One of them would be perfect.

Check out brobee 223's videos on youtube if you haven't already regarding some homegrown videos of him and his daughters.

Ithaca Dog 04-21-2017 06:41 AM

.243 compact makes sense for such a small shooter.

For the shotgun, I would look at a .410 if you are going to be shooting grouse on the ground. I have a .410 single shot that my son has been shooting since he was 5. My daughter has graduated to it now. If you are going to be wing shooting anything I would suggest a 20 ga gas operated semi in a compact model. Cheaper one would be a rem 1100, mid-grade Winchester X3, expensive browning silver. Don't go with the mossberg 510 mini 20 ga. In .410 they would be great. In 20 they kick like a mule and have created a recoil sensitive shooter in my son.

With the semi you can plug the entire magazine, you don't worry about small hands manipulating an exposed hammer, you have a visually reassuring safe with the chamber open, lower felt recoil with the gas semi, heavier gun to reduce felt recoil, the compact model makes handelng comfortable.

Also. Buy a recoil shoulder pad like the ones sold by P.A.S.T. It makes things more fun. Both my wife and son use one when shooting trap. My wife's fits on her bra under her shirt. My sons just goes over his shirt.

For all firearms purchases for youth or anyone who you are buying a gun for have them handle as many as they like and buy what they want. They are shooting it and excited about it not you. ( ok it's really exciting for us too) If they like what you buy they will be happy to shoot it.

I've been researching this topic and buying firearms for my boy for 3-4 years now to get him ready for his first hunting season. This is advice from my experience over that time. Do what is right for your girl. You and her know what that is.

gtr 04-21-2017 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by needmoretoys (Post 3522023)
So my 12 year old Daughter wants her own rifle for this fall. She is pretty petite and only 60lbs. I'm thinking a nice Browning Midas series Xbolt in .243

She is a very good shot ( helps to be patient) with her 10/22 Target. She shoots foam ear plugs at 50 yards and usually beats me on our duelling tree at 100 yards. Guess I should stop using the bolt action ��

She is not scared of the guns, but I do not want anything that causes here to be scared. This will then reck my plan of having a great hunting partner.

She has also expressed interest in a 20 gauge with light loads for grouse this fall. Going to be a fun and expensive shopping trip.

Sounds like your on the right track. The Midas is built for her stature. If it fits, that is a great choice for certain. The 243 is a proven choice as well. Good luck to her.

pickerlton 04-21-2017 10:07 AM

you might consider a 257 Roberts,there not a popular chambering any more but i9f you could track one down they are 1-3lbs more recoil than a 243. if you hand load maybe you could load down a bit for her! older rifles chambered in this caliber included browning micro medallion,,ruger m77 mark 2 ultra light and maybe even a win model 7o feather weight, all might fit her nicely. a real nice old often over looked caliber that was one of ken waters favorite cartridges!

ronkaren 04-21-2017 01:59 PM

good advice from LarryG. Start her off light, maybe a 204 or 223 if those aren't problems for her, try the 243.

Unregistered user 04-21-2017 03:01 PM

30-30 lever.

Okotokian 04-21-2017 03:16 PM

If you are talking about a rifle for big game in Alberta, .243 seems to have the lowest recoil from the tables I've seen (less than 30-30 or .257 Roberts). That would seem to me to be the caliber to go with.

gtr 04-21-2017 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered user (Post 3522698)
30-30 lever.

I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy.

roger 04-21-2017 06:31 PM

anything that shoots 75-100 gr bullets. perhaps a 2506, 257 roberts

urcayuse 04-21-2017 08:06 PM

I bought a 260 for my son when he was 12. He really enjoys shooting it,got two elk with it now.

222rem 04-21-2017 08:30 PM

I would buy .22 rimfire it is a rifle .
But that's me .

aardvaark 04-21-2017 09:00 PM

Remember you want it to be as positive an experience as possible. So I'm guessing she'll be practicing with it for a while. So in order to make this as recoil-friendly as possible, get some varmint rounds in as light-weight bullet as you can in order to keep the felt recoil as gentle as possible. Let her shoot them for a while to get her 'climatized' to felt recoil.

sns2 04-21-2017 09:41 PM

Midas in 243 gets my vote! Good job, Dad!