Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Locking gas caps? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=343364)

Mr Flyguy 04-19-2018 07:44 AM

Locking gas caps?

So if gas goes up to (or even over) 2$/L in BC this summer are we (Albertans) going to need locking gas caps to prevent siphoning whilst out fishing there?

Or is there just another way to get into a gas tank? :scared0015:

JB_AOL 04-19-2018 07:46 AM

Just kick out your current gov't (and help get the pipeline built), and your problems go away..

JohninAB 04-19-2018 07:49 AM

Thought I saw somewhere where the crooks just drill up thru the bottom of the plastic gas tanks and drain the fuel that way.

As with anything in life it seems, the crooks will find away around no matter whta we do to try and protect our stuff.

zabbo 04-19-2018 07:50 AM

Just stay in Alberta to fish. Problem solved! :)

ghostguy6 04-19-2018 07:52 AM

Its easier and faster to just punch a hole in the bottom of your tank then drain it into a jerry can. Most vehicles are equipped with anti siphoning devices now anyways. Cheaper in the long run to let them have the gas rather than pay for a tow and a new tank.

If your unlucky enough to have the key break or get lost your hooped anyways. Don't ask how I know this, its still a rather sore spot.

Mr Flyguy 04-19-2018 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostguy6 (Post 3773202)
Its easier and faster to just punch a hole in the bottom of your tank then drain it into a jerry can. Most vehicles are equipped with anti siphoning devices now anyways. Cheaper in the long run to let them have the gas rather than pay for a tow and a new tank.

If your unlucky enough to have the key break or get lost your hooped anyways. Don't ask how I know this, its still a rather sore spot.

Ha, I know all about that. Many years ago, I went off to Carson (McLeod) Lake to fish and stopped at Whitecourt to fill up the Suburban. Whoops, had left the gas cap key back home! Had to get a locksmith out to open the cap...$$$ and time wasted.

ghostguy6 04-19-2018 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy (Post 3773205)
Ha, I know all about that. Many years ago, I went off to Carson (McLeod) Lake to fish and stopped at Whitecourt to fill up the Suburban. Whoops, had left the gas cap key back home! Had to get a locksmith out to open the cap...$$$ and time wasted.

I was at the far end of an old logging road with no cell or radio reception, at least I had a cordless drill and some drill bits. For the record, my ford did not run well without a gas cap:sign0176:

Iskra 04-19-2018 10:00 AM

A bear spray and our three dogs should solve that problem. LOL

Bigbuzz 04-19-2018 10:35 AM

gas cap

it seems that thieves don't steal gas much anymore they steal the vehicle

WCTHEMI 04-19-2018 11:55 AM

I won't spend a penny in BC until this is resolved.

Tfng 04-19-2018 12:05 PM

I’ve pried more than a couple locking gas caps off. Most are a joke and can be removed in less than one minute.

Jack Hardin 04-19-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfng (Post 3773376)
I’ve pried more than a couple locking gas caps off. Most are a joke and can be removed in less than one minute.

I remember back when the Government guys used to go around to parking lots checking for purple gas. I asked one what do you do when there is a locked gas cap. He said it was no problem he had a gizmo that opened it as fast as with a key.

jcrayford 04-19-2018 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCTHEMI (Post 3773369)
I won't spend a penny in BC until this is resolved.

Searching for the "Like" button......

J.

CaberTosser 04-19-2018 12:43 PM

This one is Fox news but happened in Edmonton https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjz3bRiRfDw

Jeron Kahyar 04-19-2018 01:04 PM

If you have a newer vehicle a locking gas cap will be of no benefit. There is already a valve at the top of the tank at the fill tube that will prevent siphoning your tank. It is designed to close off in the event of a rollover. It also has the added benefit of stoping a hose from being inserted into the tank.

If they want your gas a cheep hand drill is what they will use. Even a sharp punch and a hammer will get the job done.

FCLightning 04-19-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostguy6 (Post 3773251)
I was at the far end of an old logging road with no cell or radio reception, at least I had a cordless drill and some drill bits. For the record, my ford did not run well without a gas cap:sign0176:

A big screwdriver got it open for me when I needed to - borrowed it from the gas jockey who found it in the shop.
My son was less than impressed with the security of the cap.

FCLightning 04-19-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 3773414)
This one is Fox news but happened in Edmonton https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjz3bRiRfDw

I read about it happening in Red Deer at the cinema parking lot as well.

ctd 04-19-2018 01:46 PM

I have a locking fuel cap to deter some jerk from dumping something into my tank. Insurance may or may not cover the damage
As for drilling the fuel tank, it would be a pain and could possibly be fatal Insurance will cover the damage.

You have to be pretty desperate to drill fuel tanks for fuel. But everybody has a story. Hopefully the Police catch the ones doing it. Or maybe they catch fire, either way.

gopher67 04-19-2018 09:09 PM

They will just drill into the gas tank to siphon

Marten1576 04-19-2018 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JB_AOL (Post 3773197)
Just kick out your current gov't (and help get the pipeline built), and your problems go away..

Huh you want him to kick out notley? Mrflyguy is from alberta!