Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   BUSTED - Now what? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=390434)

draytonv 11-12-2020 08:52 AM

BUSTED - Now what?

It’s only my second year bow hunting so I am still learning the art of ambushing deer at close range. I’ve been holding out for a mature deer and was finally given an opportunity last night. I rattled in a worthy 5x5 with two small drop tines and the planned seemed like it was all coming together. To my surprise the wind had shifted and the buck circled around to take a trail that comes directly towards me. At 20 yards there was virtually no opportunity for a shot, at 5 yards he was perfectly broadside but his line of vision was still in view of my tree stand(admittedly my stand is a little low). As he started to walk away, I felt my window of opportunity closing and attempted to draw on him despite not feeling overly confident... he busted me.
So the question I have is, do I need to vacate that spot? Will he even come back to this area again? I have never seen this deer and I have never caught him on camera until last night when he walk past the camera 20 yards from my stand. How would you guys react to attempt another opportunity?. I should mention that this area has incredibly low hunting pressure.

bezzola 11-12-2020 09:28 AM

The rut brought him into the area.
I had the same thing a few years ago i set up my blind and waited a day ended up tagging him a few days later

draytonv 11-12-2020 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bezzola (Post 4266554)
The rut brought him into the area.
I had the same thing a few years ago i set up my blind and waited a day ended up tagging him a few days later

Did you stay in the same spot or move your blind?

Bigwoodsman 11-12-2020 10:44 AM

Be patient and keep hunting the area. The rut changes everything.

BW

bezzola 11-12-2020 11:15 AM

When i first spotted mine I didn’t have a blind but damn cold weather that year so i out it up and bingo

Smoky buck 11-12-2020 02:40 PM

It’s very possible that buck was a one off passing through do to the right and may not come back. Unless I have a buck on cam a reasonable amount I don’t expect them to return

Odds are him busting trying to set up a shot you will not be the cause for him to leave. If he does return don’t be surprised if he knows you are in the tree and stares at you. I have had a buck do this for multiple days on one stand once he knew I was there

Personally I would keep using the location but would not get my hopes high on that buck do to lack of history with it. It is the time of year new bucks can come out of nowhere. If he does hang around the area you may get another chance though

58thecat 11-12-2020 03:53 PM

I would back out and give that area a few days grace then hammer the bugger!!!

draytonv 11-12-2020 04:23 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. Holding off until Sunday evening before I go back in.

Big Sky 11-12-2020 07:17 PM

If your stand is in a good location, I wouldn't worry about it and would be right back out there. As others have said, the bucks are moving a lot more and you never know what will show up.
Maybe he'll be back. :)
Maybe he'll be back at night. :(
Maybe a bigger buck will come by. :):)
You just never know this time of year.

Good luck.