Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   TFO broken rod (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=325739)

Twch 07-18-2017 10:39 PM

TFO broken rod

Hey,

So...let's just say that my truck door accidentally closed on my 2 piece TFO rod and broke it in right through in 2 places so now it's a 4 piece rod. If I bring this rod into Calgary TFO, are they able to fix this? The website says $30 per broken section. Thanks.

CNP 07-18-2017 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twch (Post 3586341)
Hey,

So...let's just say that my truck door accidentally closed on my 2 piece TFO rod and broke it in right through in 2 places so now it's a 4 piece rod. If I bring this rod into Calgary TFO, are they able to fix this? The website says $30 per broken section. Thanks.

Yes. I've mailed a broken section to them and had a new section returned in the mail.

Twch 07-18-2017 11:21 PM

Ok thanks for the reply!

goldscud 07-18-2017 11:33 PM

Probably have to pay for both broken sections

calgarygringo 07-19-2017 06:41 AM

Just call or stop by their office in Calgary. They are really good about fixing customers broken rods quickly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twch (Post 3586341)
Hey,

Scott N 07-19-2017 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgarygringo (Post 3586410)
Just call or stop by their office in Calgary. They are really good about fixing customers broken rods quickly.

X2. I brought my broken rod in, the guy took it into the back to find a matching section, and I was on my way with a brand new section of rod. Took all of about 5 minutes as there was another customer in front of me being helped.

graybeard 07-19-2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott N (Post 3586463)
X2. I brought my broken rod in, the guy took it into the back to find a matching section, and I was on my way with a brand new section of rod. Took all of about 5 minutes as there was another customer in front of me being helped.

They are so accommodating there......it takes 5 minutes not 5 months like some of the other rod makers.
I would never own a Sage or other rod maker for that reason alone.

Cheers to TFO.... :)

SNAPFisher 07-19-2017 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graybeard (Post 3586482)
They are so accommodating there......it takes 5 minutes not 5 months like some of the other rod makers.
I would never own a Sage or other rod maker for that reason alone.

Cheers to TFO.... :)

I didn't have a great experience with the TFO 7 wt. Went through about 8 of them in 3-4 years - no joke. At least twice were new rods that were sent back to me and broke on the first use...trolling, catching and landing a fish. They were always good about replacing the part and consistent about it. But, I've moved on from TFO due to the less than great quality that I've seen first hand. Maybe it was the specific rod I was using but that should not matter.

I have a 6 piece Reddington I've had all through this and it will not break. I also bought an Echo 7 wt to replace the TFO and 3 years with no issues. Both the Redd and Echo are the cheaper ones from both companies. So I think that is a valid comparison to the TFO ones that I will never buy again.

The best rod replacement policy is the ones you don't have to bother at all :)

Pikebreath 07-19-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNAPFisher (Post 3586495)
I didn't have a great experience with the TFO 7 wt. Went through about 8 of them in 3-4 years - no joke. At least twice were new rods that were sent back to me and broke on the first use...trolling, catching and landing a fish. They were always good about replacing the part and consistent about it. But, I've moved on from TFO due to the less than great quality that I've seen first hand. Maybe it was the specific rod I was using but that should not matter.

I have a 6 piece Reddington I've had all through this and it will not break. I also bought an Echo 7 wt to replace the TFO and 3 years with no issues. Both the Redd and Echo are the cheaper ones from both companies. So I think that is a valid comparison to the TFO ones that I will never buy again.

The TFO you speak of, wasn't by any chance, a BVK?

SNAPFisher 07-19-2017 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pikebreath (Post 3586554)
The TFO you speak of, wasn't by any chance, a BVK?

Good question. I cannot recall but will check when I get home. They were always a medium green if that helps. BVK does not ring a bell so likely not but I'll check.

millartech 07-19-2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott N (Post 3586463)

Same for me. They were quick and friendly. I have replaced 2 different sections on my 5wt bvk and both times the service was great. The reason for the breaks were owner stupidity and had nothing to do with quality of rod.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

ericlin0122 07-19-2017 01:44 PM

I never have any problem with TFO rods and their warranty service.

fishstix 07-20-2017 07:39 PM

If you have broken 8 of them in 3 to 4 years i'd say operator error is most likely to blame.

SNAPFisher 07-20-2017 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishstix (Post 3587542)
If you have broken 8 of them in 3 to 4 years i'd say operator error is most likely to blame.

Some of it was me but I count 2 or 3 that broke first use, first fish. One I can see in a rare situation but 2 or 3...quality problem, therefore bye bye TFO and things have been great since with other manufacturers.. So where is the user error now? I'm still me.

How would you if you paid $30 for shipping and get the rod piece back and it breaks on first use, trolling. What would you do? Yeah, I called them and complained, bitterly. Guess what I got, send it in and another $30 or drop it off when you get down to Calgary....great....What a company.

calgarygringo 07-20-2017 08:46 PM

Keep in mind from a guy that is d to be in the business Echo is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNAPFisher (Post 3586495)

SNAPFisher 07-20-2017 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgarygringo (Post 3587586)
Keep in mind from a guy that is d to be in the business Echo is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

And yet here it is, out lasting all the TFO 7 wts I had.

f checked and I don't have a piece of bill or nothing left to say which one exactly it is. I was wondering if someone on here had the same green 7 wt. They were common at the Fishing Hole if that helps. Anyways, I had a bad experience with them so they are not in the cards for me anymore.

SamSteele 07-21-2017 06:47 AM

My green TFO rod is a Lefty Kreh Signature rod. It's a 5 wt and so far has had no issues. I've had it for probably 8 years or so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildbill 07-22-2017 12:38 PM

Tfo has the best warranty, take it to their warehouse, give them 30$ and they give you a new section. They may not be the nicest rods, but then again you're not afraid to pack them with you up that cliff, cut bank, thick brush ect. My essox pike rods is one of my favorite rods of all time, it effortlessly launches 12" boat anchors with ease! Their guys at that warehouse are really good too!

trigger7mm 07-22-2017 02:01 PM

Tfo broken

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNP (Post 3586355)
Yes. I've mailed a broken section to them and had a new section returned in the mail.

Me too.

spurly 07-22-2017 02:12 PM

Tfo

Quote:

Originally Posted by trigger7mm (Post 3588816)
Me too.

My self included. About a 5 day turn around. Great rods for the price
Great to deal with.

SNAPFisher 07-23-2017 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamSteele (Post 3587760)
My green TFO rod is a Lefty Kreh Signature rod. It's a 5 wt and so far has had no issues. I've had it for probably 8 years or so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that is it. It sounds familiar...been a while though. Mine would be the 7 wt. Maybe a flaw in the design and that particular rod wt?

Anyways, it is obvious that most on here have done really well with TFO and the company is there to back it up so you can't go wrong...but stay away from the Lefty Kreh signature 7 wt! :)

crazyfish 07-23-2017 02:25 PM

I'm in N of Edmonton , any chance you guys can share an address or phone number to the Calgary office /warehouse ? Thanks

spurly 07-23-2017 03:43 PM

Tfo

Google it . You will get the address as well as instructions for warranty.

Pikebreath 07-23-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNAPFisher (Post 3589169)
I think that is it. It sounds familiar...been a while though. Mine would be the 7 wt. Maybe a flaw in the design and that particular rod wt?

Anyways, it is obvious that most on here have done really well with TFO and the company is there to back it up so you can't go wrong...but stay away from the Lefty Kreh signature 7 wt! :)

Was the rod a two piece or 4 piece? Signature Series are a 2 piece green blank. The BVK is a 4 piece green blank.

calgarygringo 07-23-2017 05:34 PM

http://www.springbrook.ca/
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfish (Post 3589461)
I'm in N of Edmonton , any chance you guys can share an address or phone number to the Calgary office /warehouse ? Thanks

AspenCreekOutdoors 07-23-2017 07:41 PM

TFO is an awesome company section of my rod broke sent it in Wednesday from Edmonton to Calgary $43 later and next day my rod was back

SNAPFisher 07-24-2017 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pikebreath (Post 3589572)
Was the rod a two piece or 4 piece? Signature Series are a 2 piece green blank. The BVK is a 4 piece green blank.

2 piece for sure.

Mr Flyguy 07-24-2017 08:33 AM

Well this is interesting. I just remembered that I had a TFO that hadn't been used for years so went to find it. Sure enough, it's a Lefty Krey Signature Series four piece 7wt (black blank). 2 inches broke off at the top while just taking it out of the bag to rig up at Policeman's years ago. I didn't send it in; just replaced the tip top so now it's a 8'10" rod! BUT, never bought TFO again!

TheHotChili 07-24-2017 01:22 PM

Ive only ever owned 1 rod, and it was a TFO so i cant really compare it against anything, but their customer service have been great.
Decent price on flies, and accessories as well. I always end up walking out of there with a cup full of flies, and usually a fly box, or long needle nosed pliers...
Chou and Andrew have been great to me...
Decent prices too.