Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Always carry a tow-strap ... always! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=214190)

Selkirk 03-31-2014 10:34 AM

Always carry a tow-strap ... always!

You just never know when (and for what) you're going to need one . . .

Mac

bezzola 03-31-2014 11:00 AM

Good on him.there are lots of people that just refuse to help people these days

Selkirk 03-31-2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bezzola (Post 2385389)
Good on him. there are lots of people that just refuse to help people these days

True ^ ... I couldn't agree more!

But there are also lots of people who are just too damn scared, and don't know what to do ... not all of us are cut out to be heros. For them, the best thing they can do is call for help, stand back, and watch and learn.

Mac

bobinthesky 03-31-2014 11:29 AM

It's nice to see good news for a change.

Ken07AOVette 03-31-2014 11:40 AM

wow that's awesome, terrifying, incredible.

Good for him, I can not see how anyone could possibly not stop, but have witnessed it many times.

Nice to see good things happening.

catnthehat 03-31-2014 11:45 AM

Tow strap and rope are standard equipment in my rigs!:)
Good on him for saving the lady!!
Cat

Mekanik 03-31-2014 11:52 AM

good for him.

Most people don't know what to do in emergencies and usually end up doing the wrong things or stand there dumbly watching bad things happen.

Really glad he was happening along that day.

Flieguy 03-31-2014 02:00 PM

I've got a question relevant to the thread....

I like towing people out, it's a good feeling to help people. BUT what if you pull someone out of the snow and somehow damage their vehicle when towing it?

There's always a little fear in the back of my mind that their tow hook is going to break, or the vehicle will slip somehow and the strap (I NEVER use chain) will break their plastic bumper or something....

could you be liable for damage if this happened?

catnthehat 03-31-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flieguy (Post 2385637)

I like towing people out, it's a good feeling to help people. BUT what if you pull someone out of the snow and somehow damage their vehicle when towing it?

There's always a little fear in the back of my mind that their tow hook is going to break, or the vehicle will slip somehow and the strap (I NEVER use chain) will break their plastic bumper or something....

Nope not responsible!
I always tell them they have to hook up their vehicle and if something breaks it's on them!:)
Cat

adogwiththumbs 03-31-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Whenever possible, make the towee hook the strap to their own vehicle. Sometimes this rule has to be broken. For obvious reasons.

stuckincity 03-31-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

I always tell 'em I'll be glad to help, chain, strap, or whatever - but it MUST be at their own responsibility, and they must agree.
And yeah, they should hook up their vehicles themselves as catnthehat mentioned.

Artist 03-31-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 2385641)
Nope not responsible!
I always tell them they have to hook up their vehicle and if something breaks it's on them!:)
Cat

That's some good advice :)

Flieguy 03-31-2014 03:18 PM

I sorta wondered if it fell under the "good Samaritan law", ie if you break someone's rib doing CPR on them, they can't sue you (unlike the US).

but I guess having them hook up their own vehicle would absolve you of liability.

thanks

pikeslayer22 03-31-2014 03:31 PM

Might want to use an CSA approved tow hitch for pulling anyone out...last year Husky had and instance while pulling using a tow strap hooked to hitch with a 2 inch ball...the ball broke off and became a missle went through the window of the truck that was pulling seriously injuring the driver of said vehicle

Seabass.270 03-31-2014 03:39 PM

I've always had my jumper cables with me, but I suppose even if i can't tow someone it's a good idea to have it. Another addition to the car kit.

Great to see someone with the mind to help others. I think many don't know how to react in real time, or just believe someone else will do it.

alacringa 03-31-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 2385641)
Nope not responsible!
Cat

Sage advice.

Always have two strap, booster cables, fire extinguisher, car jack, 4-way, etc. Never hurts to have things that you (or someone else) might need.

Battle Rat 03-31-2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 (Post 2385756)
Might want to use an CSA approved tow hitch for pulling anyone out...last year Husky had and instance while pulling using a tow strap hooked to hitch with a 2 inch ball...the ball broke off and became a missle went through the window of the truck that was pulling seriously injuring the driver of said vehicle

Good advise.
I saw that safety bulletin and know of another incident where the broken ball went through the gill.

skidderman 03-31-2014 05:43 PM

The fellow was a hero but as far as I'm concerned the woman was an idiot. You risk your life and the lives of others for a dog that by the way, can swim. Unbelievable. The dog was smarter than her.

Selkirk 03-31-2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidderman (Post 2385867)
The fellow was a hero but as far as I'm concerned the woman was an idiot. You risk your life and the lives of others for a dog that by the way, can swim. Unbelievable. The dog was smarter than her.

Right or wrong, most family dogs are considered part of the family (a family member). People have been known to risk their lives for family members ... even the canine variety. Idiot or not, the term 'instinct' comes to mind.

It is true that most dogs can swim, but very few know how to get back up on the ice. In most cases hypothermia eventually sets in, and they drown.

Mac

Junglefisher 03-31-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 (Post 2385756)

I can't believe how many people still use a tow-ball as a recovery point. Those things are deadly. If you have a removable hitch, take the hitch out, poke the strap into the reciever and use the pin to hold it there. It's stronger and if it does break, it won't become a deadly missile.