Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   2013 WT Winter Kill ?? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=230943)

gumbo2go 09-21-2014 07:18 PM

2013 WT Winter Kill ??

2013 winter kill....
I just returned from an area near Caroline where I WT hunted last year. Things do not look good for WT numbers. Looks like the local WT population took a big hit last winter. Locals tell me that between the deep snow and increased predators the deer got hammered.

Anyone else seeing the same thing?

FreeLantz 09-21-2014 08:05 PM

Nope. Deer herds seem no worse for wear here.

Ken H 09-21-2014 09:14 PM

The area I hunt has the same issues. The deep snow and high predator count did a number on the whitetails.

coyotekiller 09-21-2014 09:51 PM

Deer numbers look good here where I'm hunting

gumbo2go 09-25-2014 09:38 PM

Got room for one more hunter? :thinking-006:

just kidding, good luck this season.

I'll take my chances. I enjoy just going out there and spending time in the woods.

HunterDave 09-25-2014 10:30 PM

Deep snow is not good for predators either unless there's a crust on top that'll hold them up. The last 2 years we have had wet summers/good growing seasons so there was lots for the deer to eat in the bush without having to travel too far for food and become more vulnerable. Other than lots of snow, was there any weird weather down that way (ie. a thaw and then freeze)?

jacenbeers 09-26-2014 08:24 AM

I was also near Caroline last weekend and I would agree that numbers are lower than previous years.

Buck Krazy 09-26-2014 10:53 AM

too many does being shot period!

Mateo 09-26-2014 04:13 PM

Lots of deer West of Rocky still. They are in the bush more. Not seeing them out in the open because of the good feed in the forest. Follow some good game trails and you'll see them. Shot my first deer of the season doing the ol' Stalk n Spot. Makes for a fun day when you aren't restricted to just morning and evening hunt. When you get in the forest and move around you have good chances any time of day.

Dan4570 09-26-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mateo (Post 2561174)
Lots of deer West of Rocky still. They are in the bush more. Not seeing them out in the open because of the good feed in the forest. Follow some good game trails and you'll see them. Shot my first deer of the season doing the ol' Stalk n Spot. Makes for a fun day when you aren't restricted to just morning and evening hunt. When you get in the forest and move around you have good chances any time of day.

X2 on getting into the bush.

roger 09-26-2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

2013 winter kill....
I just returned from an area near Caroline where I WT hunted last year. Things do not look good for WT numbers. Looks like the local WT population took a big hit last winter. Locals tell me that between the deep snow and increased predators the deer got hammered.

Anyone else seeing the same thing?
i have to ask..and not being ignorant here....
going out once doesnt really determine a problem does it?:sign0176:
maybe the wild horse population is in compettion for food?:sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol:
why is it we look for excuses..its too hot, it was too cold, too many poachers, too much snow, not enough snow, people complaining that there are no big bucks but refuse to let a 150" walk because someone else will shoot it, filling doe tags and so on.:)
maybe its because there is less and less habitat with higher and higher hunter concentration.
be happy you got to enjoy the day, dont give up on the area.

coy coyote 09-26-2014 08:04 PM

2011 ,2012 the wt took a hit here. Found a bunch of dead deer at the stack yards. Had all the hay they needed but the snow was crusted over. Seems like they have recover. Muleys faired better. There's at least 90 at the silage pit and feed bunkers every night

gumbo2go 09-27-2014 01:01 PM

Good Luck

Thanks for replying. Best of luck this season. I'm taking the hand that I'm dealt and having some fun with it. I'm certain that there are a few nice ones left there. Just not the quantity.

Sort of like last season when I decided to take the rattling game on the move. 2 hours here and then 2 hours there in different pre-chosen locations. I never tried hunting that way before but it worked out great. Middle of the day I finally crossed paths with a nice buck. Each season is another lesson and that's why I enjoy hunting. It's the chase and not so much the kill.

HunterDave 09-27-2014 01:10 PM

There should be plenty of sign in the bush at this time of year. The bucks will have rubs from removing their velvet and scrapes in the ground should be showing up in a couple of weeks. Find a spot with lots of sign and hunt that area. Good luck!

Team Anzac 09-27-2014 01:20 PM

From what I've been told SRD wants to keep the supplemental tags going, basically they want to wipe out the deer herd to eradicate CWD. Not sure how much truth there is to that rumor, at least they could knock it back to a single supplemental instead of 2.

Dan4570 09-27-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Anzac (Post 2561940)
From what I've been told SRD wants to keep the supplemental tags going, basically they want to wipe out the deer herd to eradicate CWD. Not sure how much truth there is to that rumor, at least they could knock it back to a single supplemental instead of 2.

Most if not all WMU's where the supplemental tags are still valid in have never even had a CWD problem. Theres actually a few WMU's that had CWD cases and supplementals that are now no supplemental zones this year. Theres so many rumors on this forum. SRD employees can never even give solid explanations for decisions that are made.

edmhunter 09-27-2014 03:01 PM

has anyone heard about wmu 200 and the muley population?

Rabbit Snarer 09-27-2014 04:26 PM

whitetail numbers

Whitetail numbers west of Red Deer in the Rocky, Caroline areas are so far down from 5 years ago it's ridiculous due to the shooting of does and fawns. Mule deer have been gone for years for some reason. Predators and a bad winter are not to blame.