Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Boat Inspection Station (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=365159)

FlYiNGuY 06-11-2019 11:20 PM

Boat Inspection Station

I’m looking for a boat inspection station that is consistently open. I haven’t been out of AB for 90 days with my boat (sk) but am going to Minnewanka in the near future and would like to get a inspection completed before going.

I know the rules, it only applies if out of AB BC in the past 30 days but I’d rather not have to go through the proof of that (no one can prove that) and just a piece of mind.

I’m between Calgary and Red Deer most with the boat and have yet to come across one.

Thanks!

Weavster 06-12-2019 02:12 AM

As far as I'm aware these inspections are only along the border. I know when we leave cold lake to head over to Saskatchewan there is one right there and we get an inspection when we come back into Alberta.

Scott N 06-12-2019 05:15 AM

I haven't been west of Calgary yet this year fishing, but the boat inspection station at the Jumping Pound Truck Inspection Scare was usually open last year.

mlee 06-12-2019 06:49 AM

The one on hwy 16 just east of vermilion is always open friday-sunday.....not sure about weekdays but pretty sure it is. Same with the one on hwy 14 east of Wainwright.

TROLLER 06-12-2019 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott N (Post 3988429)
I haven't been west of Calgary yet this year fishing, but the boat inspection station at the Jumping Pound Truck Inspection Scare was usually open last year.

Should be open since the May long.

SNAPFisher 06-12-2019 12:33 PM

This is a weird ask and post in my mind but maybe I'm missing something.

Why don't you just drain, dry and clean your boat as per their instructions they provide? You really want to seek them out so they can do what? See that you did your part? All they have done when I've been stopped is look and check. They have not done any special testing that I'm aware of.

fish99 06-12-2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott N (Post 3988429)

shut down due to budget cuts

1bowhunter12 06-13-2019 03:15 PM

Last time coming from Saskatchewan into ab I asked the girls if they were afraid of getting a little clean water into Alberta lakes lol they were not impressed hah

MooseRiverTrapper 06-13-2019 03:45 PM

Do you legally have to stop at these?

mlee 06-13-2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper (Post 3989023)

Yes. Up to $5000 fine I believe if you dont. And they do chase you down....saw it happen once lol.

Scott N 06-13-2019 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper (Post 3989023)

Sometimes the girls are kind of cute, if you need some extra motivation to stop.

1bowhunter12 06-13-2019 06:24 PM

That was literally the only reason I stopped lol

FlYiNGuY 06-13-2019 10:36 PM

Thanks all.. not overly concerned but the fine is up to 25K and no real proof other than an inspection. Hence the question. Better safe than sorry, I’d rather seek out an inspection than contaminate a watershed. Who knows what lakes around here might have been exposed it’s really just a matter of time.
I’d also rather not argue with co.s. Proof of inspection would end that conversation.
Cheers.

338Bluff 06-13-2019 11:12 PM

What are you supposed to show them for proof? The floating key chain or the cheap chamois?

Sorry, but I too seem to be missing something.

mlee 06-14-2019 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 338Bluff (Post 3989175)
What are you supposed to show them for proof? The floating key chain or the cheap chamois?

Sorry, but I too seem to be missing something.

They are looking for invasive mussles...plant matter and water in the boat etc. They dont really care about anything else. I had no plate or registration with me for my boat trailer last time and they didnt care.

barbless 06-16-2019 08:40 AM

Came back to Calgary from Revelstoke yesterday and stopped in at Golden and they were set up on the westbound side not the eastbound side. Stopped anyways. They said basically not interested cause I was leaving and not coming in (hmmmm) so off I went. Got to Jumping Pound, not open. So no boat check (hmmmm). The last time I went through one (last year) at Jumping Pound they had a dog sniffing around the boat and gave me an inspection report to carry with me in case I came across another one within a certain amount of time. Not sure how long.
They are suppose to do an inspection at Crawling Valley when you arrive but all they do is ask you some questions and give you a sticker to put on your boat. They don't even look (hmmmmm) :thinking-006:

RRED88 06-20-2019 06:52 PM

There is a number to call 18553362628.

BUSHRVN 06-20-2019 10:37 PM

I was told by an inspector at the Alberta station by Hinton last year that you had to have the paper copy with your boat when checked by a CO when stopped where ever to prove you've been checked at the provincial entry point. This is of course if you're from "out of Province" which makes sense.
So I keep mine with the rest of my paper work in a waterproof box on the boat.

RavYak 06-20-2019 11:13 PM

Unless you have muscles stuck to your boat or something along those lines you have nothing to worry about. The fines especially max fines are only if you knowingly are spreading around muscles or trying to dodge inspection stations etc. If they find signs of muscles otherwise they will just tell you what you need to do/send you to get boat decontaminated.

A CO isn't going to fine you for this either. They might fine you if you don't drain/dry your boat or travel with drain plugs removed but that is about it.

Unless you have been out of the province with your boat the chances it is infected with muscles is next to nil.