Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Elk in 402 (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=369248)

Carts27 09-10-2019 06:02 PM

Elk in 402

Not looking for pin point directions or anything. I have been talking to some people and they seem to think there’s no elk in 402, I can’t wait to hear all the answers of look and you will find them blah blah blah. I ran into 4 guys that day they have hunted 402 for 35 years and yet to see a elk, I have been in there a few times, no elk, no elk sign. Just wondering if anyone else has seen them in there, or is it all a myth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bessiedog 09-10-2019 06:12 PM

It’s a myth.

Damn tasty myth too.

Daaaaam. Tasty........

Mythical elk steaks........ mmmmmmmmm

Them 4 fellas must be excellent hunters. I’d take their advice.

Perhaps Frank Lake.... ;)

dalewig 09-10-2019 06:45 PM

The 2018 alberta harvest report says there was 68 bulls taken out there, so I think there would be a couple kicking around !

Jjolg123 09-10-2019 06:49 PM

Alot of fella's bugling out there driver side window for no reason if there's no elk lol. Ive taken a few out of 402 and they all came in to calls but were not vocal at all. Go high is my moto

Dubious 09-10-2019 07:29 PM

The population in 402 has suffered in the last 5 years there’s a reason the draw tags keep dropping and it’s not because of a ballooning population. There are elk there for sure but there a lot more in the 300 zones

Carts27 09-10-2019 09:55 PM

Also suppose that 402 is a rather large zone, appreciate the comments. There will be some boot leather worn out forsure. Just thought it was strange to hear that minimal elk were seen. Mostly in the northern part of 402. And FYI the one of the guys that told me he’s never seen an elk is a pretty legit source but never the less figured I’d ask for some more intel is all. Thanks

roper1 09-10-2019 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carts27 (Post 4025272)
. And FYI the one of the guys that told me he’s never seen an elk is a pretty legit source

Read post#3, then go back & question his legit..........

LKILR 09-11-2019 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roper1 (Post 4025286)
Read post#3, then go back & question his legit..........

I would not trust them reports to be accurate. People are not always honest when reporting their harvests. If you read through them you’ll see what I’m saying.

Esox 09-11-2019 06:09 AM

Have they hunted elk there for 35 years or just hunted? If they've been elk hunting, then he is plain and simple lieing to you. No one in their right mind would hunt an area for 35 years if they haven't seen an elk in that time stretch...

270person 09-11-2019 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carts27 (Post 4025153)
I can’t wait to hear all the answers of look and you will find them blah blah blah.

With that attitude I'm surprised anyone would tell you anything. You already seem to have all the answers.

Mountainaccent 09-11-2019 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esox (Post 4025334)
Have they hunted elk there for 35 years or just hunted? If they've been elk hunting, then he is plain and simple lieing to you. No one in their right mind would hunt an area for 35 years if they haven't seen an elk in that time stretch...

I wouldn’t hunt an area after 35 days of not seeing an elk lol

calvin 09-11-2019 07:49 AM

I don't think you see the big herds of 10 or more at all anymore. I've only ever seen groups of 3-4 at any one time. Maybe later in November there may be bigger groups. Find good vantage points and let your glass do some walking for you. I recall being up in the area in about '85 and glassing herds of 50-75 up on sugarloaf, it wasn't uncommon to see 2-300 elk scattered around up there. Racehorse would have another 200 or so. Regal creek was an elk super highway with herd after herd going thru migrating out to the Waldron. I don't go up there late season anymore to know if that migration still exists. There were never many bulls though, but spikes were legal and anything with nuts got shot at quickly. There were also lots of elk going thru the gap as well. We never hunted further south so I'm not aware of what went on that area.

Carts27 09-11-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 270person (Post 4025338)
With that attitude I'm surprised anyone would tell you anything. You already seem to have all the answers.

Attitude? Simply saying what I figured I would get for responses, just looking for some information. Take it as you think,

Carts27 09-11-2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esox (Post 4025334)

Hunted in there for 35 years would assume mostly sheep, that source was just a fellow hunter I stumbled across on my travels in there, so who knows how legit that was.

artie 09-11-2019 10:03 AM

I have noticed more elk in 402 after the foothills zones open. It seems opposite now years ago the elk went from the mountains to the foothills. Now you get elk back in 402 when there is too much pressure on the foothills zones.
What I have noticed in the Crowsnest Pass area you hardly ever see moose but there are tracks around. I do not see many elk until November but there are lots of whitetail deer around. Back in the sixties and seventies you hardly ever saw a whitetail deer. Lots of mule deer in town and cougars hanging around to grab them. Someone had a trail cam picture of a cougar dragging a mule deer down a street in Coleman last winter.

marlin1 09-11-2019 10:24 AM

15 years ago when I used to hunt there we saw elk . Up high . With all the hunters now I'd say they'd be spookier but still there .

walking buffalo 09-11-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carts27 (Post 4025414)
Hunted in there for 35 years would assume mostly sheep, that source was just a fellow hunter I stumbled across on my travels in there, so who knows how legit that was.

You need a better BS detector.

elkhunter1234 09-11-2019 11:35 AM

I’ve killed lots of bulls up Dutch and the Oldman over the years. I haven't hunted it in the last 10 years since logging real took it over. And yes I’ll say it, they are there you just need to find them. Here’s a hint, you’re not going to find them from sitting behind the steering wheel of your truck.

Jim...

Carts27 09-11-2019 12:48 PM

Went in there wanting to put my camp in, after most the quad trails are shut down I figure it would be perfect to get out and burn some boots up, definitely won’t be behind the steering wheel. Camp is going in this week, hoping to get on some elk, or maybe find a ram. If not the adventure is always worth the tag soup! Ha maybe.....