Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Parker Hale Midland .270 Win???? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=11503)

deanr 02-10-2008 08:34 AM

Parker Hale Midland .270 Win????

I was thinking about buying this rifle but I don't know anything about Parker Hale. Can anyone help - what sort of quality, accuracy etc could I expect?

Thanks in advance

Dean

catnthehat 02-10-2008 08:40 AM

Good midrange rifles , the Midland has a '98 action, adjustable PH trigger.
Cat

bingo1010 02-10-2008 08:41 AM

can't go wrong with the mauser action. generally they shoot quite well, the clip if you have it is nice , reliable and easy to load. triggers are adjustable (most anyway i think on the parker hales) and work ok, not a rem trigger though. all around they are a good hunting rifle. one bad thing though is the bolt knob to scope clearance, it is quite tight. but you get used to it and learn to palm the bolt instead of grabbing it.

Dick284 02-10-2008 08:47 AM

Be very leary of the clip models, the clip is a stamped steel POS, I gor rid of the one one the wifes rifle, if se had the bolt open and gave it a bit to hard of a thump into position it would unload the ammo all at once, right under the scope:mad2:

Midland's I do believe are the low end of the PH family, scroll engraved aluminum floor plate.
As stated just a gutzied up 98 Mauser, with a better trigger, 4 land barrel too.

catnthehat 02-10-2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick284 (Post 110241)
Be very leary of the clip models, the clip is a stamped steel POS, I gor rid of the one one the wifes rifle, if se had the bolt open and gave it a bit to hard of a thump into position it would unload the ammo all at once, right under the scope:mad2:

Midland's I do believe are the low end of the PH family, scroll engraved aluminum floor plate.
As stated just a gutzied up 98 Mauser, with a better trigger, 4 land barrel too.

Yup, the lower end.
The action is not the Sanata Barbara , it's a reworked surplus I believe.
Cat

raised by wolves 02-10-2008 11:07 AM

Nice gun in their day, but be cautious of the barrel wear. A bit of a classy look to the sporting models. Most guys trying to sell a Parker-Hale are asking way too much for a well used gun.

Compare the asking price to a new rifle that you will break in and know what it has been used for and how it has been treated.

Personally speaking, I would never own a Parker-Hale. My experience is only with the C3 sniper rifle. It shot reasonably well, but I always thought it was a piece of crap in comparison to a lower priced Remington 700.

SakoAlberta 02-10-2008 11:55 AM

Midland was their economy model. I almost bought one(teenager in the 80's) and Canadian Tire had them on for $219.00 .

Rem7 02-10-2008 10:55 PM

Bought my first rifle at 14. PH Midland 30-06. Used it one season and then dumped it. Didn't like the bolt clearance from the scope and I didn't like how sloppy the bolt felt when I pulled it back. It may have had some accuracy issues...but what did I know at 14? I bought a Remington 700 Classic in 7Mag and still hunt with this rifle 24 years later. No buyers remorse. See if you can try some different rifles and see how they shoot before you buy:)

abhunt 02-10-2008 11:02 PM

I bought a new Midland .270 in 1987 and hunted deer etc with it for 20 years.It was quite accurate and still is.The bolt was quite sloppy from the time it was new and tends to jam a shell in the chamber once in a while.You had to work the bolt slowly.Not a very good quality unit IMO.

Alberta Bigbore 02-10-2008 11:04 PM

i had a .308 win in a Midland long ago. bought it used at wholesale sports, with scope, for $350. it would shoot the head off a nail. then, like usual, stupidly sold it. wish i hung onto that sucker. The floor plate had some kind of scrolling of a bighorn sheep. felt more of a plastic than a metal