Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bobcats killing my pets (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=309014)

Big Harry 12-03-2016 01:07 PM

Bobcats killing my pets

Hi, new to the forum.
I have bobcats in my yard frequently.
They have killed a few of my pets.
What solutions would you recommend?

Redfrog 12-03-2016 01:14 PM

Be polite, be professional and have a plan to kill 'em all.:)

Welcome to AO. where are you located?

Big Harry 12-03-2016 01:20 PM

Thanks Redfrog
I don't want to give a lot away, as I know there are a lot of regulations about what you are "allowed" to do... and at this point I'm not sure what I might try.

I'm just opening up the discussion to all suggestions. Deterrents and trapping/relocation are my two front-runners.
Deterrents (human hair, cougar urine, bright lights, harassing) have been ineffective so far, but open to more input.

Johnny G1 12-03-2016 08:24 PM

SSS and thats all there is to it.

Bushmaster 12-03-2016 08:49 PM

Had an old time fish cop tell me "it's a ****-poor man can't look after his own yard" !

sage 13 12-03-2016 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Harry (Post 3405663)
Hi, new to the forum.
I have bobcats in my yard frequently.
They have killed a few of my pets.
What solutions would you recommend?

Curious as to what kind of pets there killing, and how frequent.
Should be able to live trap them fairly easily if you don't want to
use a lethal method.

Big Harry 12-03-2016 09:25 PM

Sage 13 - I had a decent havahart live trap that allowed you to open/release the animal from behind the trap and not get your hands near the opening. It got stolen, and was too small for the bobcats I think. Caught 2 skunks instead.

The larger ones seem like you have to get your hands in a danger zone to open them up, but that is an option I'm considering.

Can anyone comment on the legality of the trapping of a nuisance animal like this for relocation?

Johnny G1 - not sure I know what SSS stands for.

thanks all

Johnny G1 12-03-2016 09:30 PM

Just think about it for a minute, Shoot.

Attilathecanuk 12-03-2016 09:31 PM

Try to get hold of a licensed trapper in your area, there are many on this forum that are top notch guys and would be able to help you. I am of a mindset of the SSS methodology ymmv

Welcome aboard!!

Marty S 12-03-2016 10:32 PM

Deterents...

Have you tried yelling at them? Perhaps a good scolding, even a little harsh language? Maybe a stick and a large metal garbage can, bang it, probably scare the life out of them.

Btw... do you people realize that there are fish cops going thru this forum and all social media every day? Literally looking for people to investigate.

Beware of Facebook, beware of twitter. Lots of guys that post pictures or talk funny get targeted. Just saying.

My advice to th poster, find a local trapper that's been around for some time and invite him over... if he has time! The festive season is upon us!

Red Bullets 12-04-2016 12:17 AM

A resident trapper is who you want to either live or lethally trap them. Some counties have a county trapper on staff to control problem animals. Call your county office.

Or allow a resident to hunt them if you are in one of these WMUs.

From the trapping regs...
Bobcat may be hunted (but not trapped) by a resident on land which the resident has the right of access for hunting in WMUs 102, 104, 106, 108, 112, 116, 118 and 119 and that part of WMU 110 east of Highway No. 2 and south of Highway No. 3 from November 1 to February 28.

HunterDave 12-04-2016 12:54 AM

The guys saying SSS aren't Trappers or they'd want the fur.

If you are looking for someone to do something illegal then contacting the county is your best bet. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Tfng 12-04-2016 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 3406210)
The guys saying SSS aren't Trappers or they'd want the fur.

If you are looking for someone to do something illegal then contacting the county is your best bet. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

While I wouldn't do it; when he was wondering about the three S's. I was thinking it could also stand for shoot, skin, sell lol

Edit to add snare, skin, stretch, yeah yeah form I know but I needed an s

catnthehat 12-04-2016 02:33 AM

An Internet forum is not the place to ask stuff like this
Speak with animal control if you are in the city or F&W if you are not
Cat

Marty S 12-04-2016 08:11 AM

Just try, "BAD DAWG I MEAN CAT... GO HOME.... GO HOME... BAD DAWG"

waterninja 12-05-2016 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3406232)
Cat

I have to politely disagree with you on this one Cat. I see nothing wrong with the OP trying to get some advise about this problem from AO members.
I do agree that the the best advise he has gotten is to call the County or MD office in the area he is living in, or call F&W.
Besides, now he knows what SSS means (i hope). Something tells me the OP is not a long time Albertan. lol

Big Harry 12-13-2016 01:47 AM

Thanks All
Good comments
Yeah, I was thinking of befriending a trapper, or finding someone who wanted to loan or sell a live trap.

F&W will only do anything if it is a risk to humans, and apparently bobcats are not.

Redfrog 12-13-2016 02:25 AM

I think Princess auto has live traps on sale now.

58thecat 12-13-2016 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3406232)
Cat

Oh my this forum as you are aware of is loaded with questions similar to this.
OP doesn't give too much out but best advice is contact the F&W and go from there.
Good luck!

Marty S 12-13-2016 08:26 PM

Just say, real loud,
Baaaadddd Daawwwggg...

Flight01 12-13-2016 11:43 PM

In my best internet annoying kayak lady voice....

"Bobcat... Please don't eat my pets bobcat."
" why are you here bobcat? You shouldn't be here!"
" bobcat no! Stop eating my pets!"
" why are you doing this bobcat?"
" bobcat no"
" no bobcat no"

:sHa_sarcasticlol: