Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Reloading .308 Win (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=332288)

outdoorguy 10-27-2017 08:25 PM

Reloading .308 Win
 
I ve picked up a T3 compact in .308 and have been trying to get an accurate load out of it with no consistent success. I have been using fired, tumbled, chamfered, trimmed Rem brass, Fed 210 primer, 46 gr Varget , 165 Nosler ballistic tip and OAL is 2.81. Does any one have some loads that have been accurate with their 308 that you would be willing to share.
I may also switch to 150 gr accubonds as in what I have been reading that appears to be a popular one for hunting.....
Can anyone help out with some information.

Thanks All!

ruger300 10-27-2017 08:38 PM

My daughters 308 in a Rem 760 shoots all 150 gr bullets 1" or better at 100 yds. It seems to be the bullet weight for her rifle.
Use Varget in that load as well.

50BMG 10-27-2017 08:53 PM

Your first issue might be that brass you're using. Upgrade that and you might see better results. Other than that, here is a load I use on my PGW Coyote.

Barrel length: 24"
Brass: Lapua
Primer: CCI BR2
Powder: Varget 47.2gr
Bullet: Lapua Scenar 155gr
Ogive OAL: 2.230" .007" jump (MY RIFLE, NOT YOURS)
Velocity: 2903fps 5 shot average S.D.=5 E.S.=10

Start low and work your way up. This load is 1/3moa out to 1300m.

EDIT: btw, this is not a hunting load.

buck12 10-27-2017 09:09 PM

308 reload
 
My 308 likes 150 grain(hornady btsp) and I use IMR 4895/ 44.0 grains. nice group @200 yards. Simple but effective

hogie 10-27-2017 09:13 PM

I use 130gr ttsx up to 178gr amax bullets in multiple rifles. All will shoot well if I can find the right load. Varget and IMR 4895 are the powders I use.

If I'm struggling with getting accuracy with my handloads I will buy some factory match ammo to try. If that won't shoot then I'm looking at other issues. 308 is nice because lots of options available.

I've had a couple of rifles that really took some time and experimentation to find what reloads will work. Always been able to get results .

tasco 10-27-2017 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am also working on a load for my .308 BLR takedown. It is a challenge trying to find out what a gun likes. Attached is a load test that I did for my BLR. I haven't had time yet to check out the two best velocity nodes. But if you have access to a chronograph, this may be a very fast way for you to come up with a good starting point or load to test. I have posted this graph in another thread. You don't need to go in .3 grain increments like I did. .5 grains should be more than adequate.

260 Rem 10-27-2017 10:33 PM

I dont know if I should be offering any advice on 308 loads given that I am currently having a terrible time getting accuracy out of a newly chambered Bartlein barrel that to date has failed to produce a single 1/2 group at 100M:(
I should try 50BMGs recipe given his stellar results (1\3MOA @ 1000 yds tops International Benchrest Nationals results.)

I have shot a fair amount of 308 out to my hunting comfort zone of 300M so dont worry about loading hot. I suggest you start at 41.5 gr Varget and work up in .5 gr increments.
I have almost always found a sweet spot at about 42.0 grs with both 155 and 168 gr bullets... and often, another at about 44.0 grs.
If your barrel is telling you it doesnt like a particilar bullet, it is time try something else.

propliner 10-27-2017 10:46 PM

Try some Accurate 2230 powder with some 155gr Hornady bullets. I shot three groups of five in a row that all measured under 1/2". It is the best load I've fired in anything, ever. This was in a factory LTR with a good trigger.

qwert 10-27-2017 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasco (Post 3653652)
I am also working on a load for my .308 BLR takedown. It is a challenge trying to find out what a gun likes. Attached is a load test that I did for my BLR. I haven't had time yet to check out the two best velocity nodes. But if you have access to a chronograph, this may be a very fast way for you to come up with a good starting point or load to test. I have posted this graph in another thread. You don't need to go in .3 grain increments like I did. .5 grains should be more than adequate.

While your graphing is good, the results are not definitive, but I suspect indicate possible nodes @~2725 & 2815 and perhaps 2850 fps, and possible high pressure or inconsistent combustion @ 45.4gr.
It would be helpful to have the POI drops @ 300 yds for these shots. They might provide additional information on the effect of velocity and pressure on your rifle's barrel harmonics and POI.
The inability of a Magnetospeed to collect both velocity and accurate POI drop for every shot is exactly why I do not use one.

Audette's suggested increment is .5%, or in your case .227gr.
If loading with a lab quality 'magnetic force restoration scale' then I would try .25gr increments, but for ease of loading I usually use .3gr for 308W.
I suspect that a .2gr increment is unlikely to provide much additional usable information, but that a .5gr increment is likely to miss significant indications.

The BLR can be a challenge for load development.
The barrel is not 'free floating' and can have quite different barrel harmonics than a typical bolt action.
A takedown is seldom as consistent as one solidly attached to the receiver.
The BLR action lacks the closing force of a bolt action and require more resizing and shoulder bump for reliable feeding than a typical bolt action.
The triggers tend to be less than target quality and will also reduce consistency and precision.
IMHE they are fine rifles and can be very accurate with a bullet it likes.
IIRC my BLR 308W has a barrel twist of 1-12, and tends to shoot more precisely with a shorter bullet like a 150 or 165gr.

I suggest you continue testing and collection of results data.


Good Luck, YMMV.

skidderman 10-27-2017 11:10 PM

Browning BLR 308 using 165 grain nosler partitions, RL15 powder and Federal primers. Shoots lights out.

abhunter8 11-01-2017 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tikka T3 .308:
RL15 44gr
Fed Brass
CCI primer
Nosler accubond 165gr.

vic1 11-01-2017 11:27 AM

Try Hornady 150 gr SST with the same components. My T3 with 18.5" barrel shoots them very well.

dogslayer403 11-01-2017 11:33 AM

I had luck with 150g-180g in my last 308win using imr3031 it shot 168g berger classic hunters and hornady 180g btsp very well with that powder

gtr 11-01-2017 12:13 PM

Win 748 with 150 grainers, works well for me.

markg 11-01-2017 12:18 PM

Similar
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 50BMG (Post 3653632)
Your first issue might be that brass you're using. Upgrade that and you might see better results. Other than that, here is a load I use on my PGW Coyote.

Barrel length: 24"
Brass: Lapua
Primer: CCI BR2
Powder: Varget 47.2gr
Bullet: Lapua Scenar 155gr
Ogive OAL: 2.230" .007" jump (MY RIFLE, NOT YOURS)
Velocity: 2903fps 5 shot average S.D.=5 E.S.=10

Start low and work your way up. This load is 1/3moa out to 1300m.

EDIT: btw, this is not a hunting load.

I have had similar result with a similar load. Only shot mine out to 600m but the combo of Varget / Lapua/ CCI Br 2 is excellent. I have had similar results with sierra match kings as well. We were shooting clay pigeons or what ever you call them at 500 yards (think they are about 4 inches in diameter). Mine were a little lighter in powder and a bit slower but hyper accurate.

markg 11-01-2017 12:21 PM

Foot Note
 
We were not throwing the clay pigeons in the air. We placed them on the ground with the orange side facing the shooter.

Pioneer2 11-01-2017 09:17 PM

A Gooder.........
 
Varget

pkmckee 11-01-2017 09:23 PM

Still learning,but if varget is not available imr 4320,imr 4064 and h335.

peakseeker 11-02-2017 02:13 PM

150gr scirrocos, 45.5gr varget, fed 210, rp brass. 168gr smk, 44gr varget, wlr primer, rp brass. 165gr speer grand slam, 45.5gr imr 4064, fed 210gm, rp brass. all shoot really well from my tikka t3.

PAB270 11-02-2017 02:46 PM

18 bbl
1:10 twist
2.81 COAL
Winchester brass
Federal 210m primer
150gr ttsx
44.5gr varget

Scottmisfits 11-02-2017 06:19 PM

Federal brass and 210 primers, IMR4166, and Barnes 165 or 168 grain Triple Shocks worked very well for me. I started to load up 165 grain Sierra Game Kong’s but didn’t get very far in development yet because, you know, life happens and then it’s season. But it’s looking very promising.

SlightlyDistracting 11-02-2017 06:44 PM

Reloader 15 and varget. 4064 in semi autos

260 Rem 11-02-2017 07:28 PM

When Enduron 4166 first came out, I did some side-by-side comparisons with Varget in a consistent 308. Couldn’t say one was better than the other.

fps plus 11-03-2017 06:03 AM

I've had luck with 150-165 gr bullets and imr4320and re15

At present using 15o Barnes ttsx and re-15

elkhunter11 11-03-2017 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outdoorguy (Post 3653613)
I ve picked up a T3 compact in .308 and have been trying to get an accurate load out of it with no consistent success. I have been using fired, tumbled, chamfered, trimmed Rem brass, Fed 210 primer, 46 gr Varget , 165 Nosler ballistic tip and OAL is 2.81. Does any one have some loads that have been accurate with their 308 that you would be willing to share.
I may also switch to 150 gr accubonds as in what I have been reading that appears to be a popular one for hunting.....
Can anyone help out with some information.

Thanks All!

How far are the bullets seated from the lands?

kayaker 11-03-2017 08:41 AM

I have had very good results with 150gr Speer SPBT, Hornady SPBT and Nolser Ballistic Tips over 45gr Varget, CCI 200 or BR2 primers, Federal brass (apparently junk according to the interwebz?) and seated to 2.8". All shot extremely well out of a Howa heavy barrel and Savage Mod 11. They shoot OK out of my Ruger Scout but it seems to like longer bullets.

150gr Barnes TTSX over 45 gr Varget, 2.8" OAL, CCI 200 or BR2 primer in Winchester brass (more case volume than Fed which helps with the longer monometal bullets) alos shoots well for me. I put a very light Lee factory crimp on these.

In my limited experience with Accubonds (not in .308) they are very user friendly and not particularly sensitive to seating depth, well not as sensitive as some other bullets.

EZM 11-03-2017 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markg (Post 3657197)
We were not throwing the clay pigeons in the air. We placed them on the ground with the orange side facing the shooter.

Chuck Norris could have hit them out of the air at 500m using iron sights ...... while fighting off Russians.

BLR20019 07-10-2019 07:17 AM

Seating depth
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tasco (Post 3653652)
I am also working on a load for my .308 BLR takedown. It is a challenge trying to find out what a gun likes. Attached is a load test that I did for my BLR. I haven't had time yet to check out the two best velocity nodes. But if you have access to a chronograph, this may be a very fast way for you to come up with a good starting point or load to test. I have posted this graph in another thread. You don't need to go in .3 grain increments like I did. .5 grains should be more than adequate.


Hey mate whats your overall cartridge length on your hand loads??

barsik 07-10-2019 08:02 AM

finding an accurate load can be frustrating if the rifle has a bit of unwanted bedding pressure. you might want to check your barreled action to stock fit and check the crown before spending money on reloading components.

Subaru297 07-10-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker (Post 3658743)
I have had very good results with 150gr Speer SPBT, Hornady SPBT and Nolser Ballistic Tips over 45gr Varget, CCI 200 or BR2 primers, Federal brass (apparently junk according to the interwebz?) and seated to 2.8". All shot extremely well out of a Howa heavy barrel and Savage Mod 11. They shoot OK out of my Ruger Scout but it seems to like longer bullets.

This has been my best load so far as well. I have had a couple <1/2moa groups but need to shoot more to see if this is consistent. It has shot a few ~1" groups as well.
Federal brass
45gr Varget
150gr Speer BTSP
CCI 200 primer
2.83" COAL (Max mag length)

Shoots pretty well out of my T3x and the Speer bullets are cheap!

I have tried the 178gr ELD-X as well and got a decent group but it was a compressed load when seated to mag length.

Cheers


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.