Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Proper form (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=375894)

Archery_nut 01-26-2020 04:44 PM

Proper form

Should I be shooting left hand if I’m left eye dominant? I’ve been shooting right hand for awhile now and realized some shoot with both eyes open. Is this proper? If so should I be switching to left hand bow if I’m left eye dominant? Or just keep closing my left eye and continue shooting right hand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4thredneck 01-26-2020 05:05 PM

If you can shoot accurately and consistently the way your shooting why change?

Lefty-Canuck 01-26-2020 07:36 PM

I’m left handed, right eye dominant, shoot with both eyes open. I draw and acquire the target with my right eye closed, aim, and open my right eye before I shoot.

LC

tyrone 01-27-2020 06:59 AM

Lefty, does your sight line change when you open your right eye?
I shoot right handed, but left eye dominant and when I try to use both eyes my left wants to take over and it messes with my sight line. Any pointers?
Tyrone

Lefty-Canuck 01-27-2020 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrone (Post 4100187)
Lefty, does your sight line change when you open your right eye?
I shoot right handed, but left eye dominant and when I try to use both eyes my left wants to take over and it messes with my sight line. Any pointers?
Tyrone

No because I have trained my eye and brain to maintain the sight picture my left eye has acquired. When I open the right eye the left eye sight picture through my peep holds true.

LC

Knotter 01-27-2020 01:02 PM

Still learning things!

A buddy of mine is cross eye dominant like Lefty and struggles with shotguns as a result. I'm going to get him to try the technique you described.

Thanks AOF!

tyrone 01-27-2020 02:10 PM

Thanks Lefty,
I will have to keep practicing.
Tyrone

Lefty-Canuck 01-27-2020 02:36 PM

I do the same with archery, shotguns, handguns, scoped and open sight rifles.

I show my brain the picture to follow and open my eye to gain the peripheral view.

LC

DMS1 02-02-2020 07:52 AM

I am left eye dominant and right handed, as mentioned here, shotguns are the weak point. Using a peep site on the string, I close my left eye. It works, but the biggest tendency is to drop the bow at the shot and look over it with the dominant eye, which results in a bad shot. Same with rifle scopes. Follow through is most important, and a little tougher if you are non dominant eye shooting.

I could not imagine swapping hands and teaching myself.

NCC 02-09-2020 10:32 PM

Both of my daughters are right handed left eye dominant. After struggling to shoot right eyed, they’re both finding much easier to just shoot left handed.

As a result, I have a nice right handed m70 featherweight 223 with a shortened stock that I need a to replace with a leftie.

gramps73 02-10-2020 09:27 AM

I am left eye dominate and shoot left.
it was tough at first to shoot left-handed but now I shoot left handed with bow and rifle