Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   bears in ministik lake bird sanctuary? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=71944)

whitetalehunter12 10-14-2010 02:42 PM

bears in ministik lake bird sanctuary?

Has anyone seen any bears in there?

fish_e_o 10-14-2010 03:14 PM

i lived around there for a long time and i have never seen a bear

Predator 10-14-2010 04:17 PM

There are a few bears in Ministik just as there are cougars in Blackfoot. Wouldn't doubt there are cougars in Ministik as well.

timsesink 10-14-2010 04:39 PM

I've hunted in and around Ministik and have never seen any tracks or sign. However thats not to say there isn't the occasional one wandering through.

sco22 10-14-2010 04:42 PM

I have a quarter section very close to the Sanctuary and it wouldn't surprise me at all. I have never seen one, but I was in there in the very southeast part 6 weeks ago and I saw some scat. I have also seen bears in the Cooking Lake Park South of the Sanctuary. I would be surprised if there was a cougar in there, but who knows.

Cheers.

buckbrushoutdoors 10-14-2010 04:55 PM

A guy that I work with lives rite next to it and he shot a bear that was in his yard last summer, he came out side and his rotty was going wild thought nothing of it came back out a few minutes later to give the dogs hell and there was a bear just inside the tree line so he blasted it. he showed me pics on his cell phone

dave99 10-14-2010 05:22 PM

Yup, no doubt about it, though I don't think it's a very sizable population. I've seen scat and claw marks climbing up some big poplars in Ministik. Also heard of a farmer Southeast of Miquelon get followed by a bear while out fixing fence about 10 years ago.

bossmann 10-14-2010 05:24 PM

bears

i haven't hunted there in about 3 years but generaly we would see a bear every couple years. that bird sanctuary is a big place not to mention all the undeveloped land around it.

greylynx 10-14-2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors (Post 707222)
A guy that I work with lives rite next to it and he shot a bear that was in his yard last summer, he came out side and his rotty was going wild thought nothing of it came back out a few minutes later to give the dogs hell and there was a bear just inside the tree line so he blasted it. he showed me pics on his cell phone

On my pasture land by the NSR east of the Fort my renter had three calves killed by a bear. The bear got away. My renter is anti-gun. Too bad So sad.

Also,There are some pretty big ***** cat tracks along the NSR east of the Fort. They are not Lynx, that is for sure. Mind you the Lynx seem to doing quite well with the inflated bunny population.

I am not surprised the big predators like bear and cougar are heading south.

There are tons of deer to eat, and lots of hunting bans on two legged predators.

Darwin Rules.

Go figure.

Raptor 10-15-2010 12:03 AM

Many moons ago, I worked at the Ministik Elk farm run by the University. There is definitely bear around there. A fellow worker at the time watched a cougar for 20 minutes chewing on something. He got some pics to prove it. Wou;d have been neat to see. By the way guys. I finally saw a Racoon in alberta. He was DEAD on the side of the road down by Lethbridge.

IR_mike 10-15-2010 12:25 AM

On a related note I seen elk south of there working by Miquelon lake in 1998-1999 also lots of moose, whitetail, some mules, as well as a few lynx and one fisher.

buckbrushoutdoors 10-15-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greylynx (Post 707368)
On my pasture land by the NSR east of the Fort my renter had three calves killed by a bear. The bear got away. My renter is anti-gun. Too bad So sad.

Also,There are some pretty big ***** cat tracks along the NSR east of the Fort. They are not Lynx, that is for sure. Mind you the Lynx seem to doing quite well with the inflated bunny population.

I am not surprised the big predators like bear and cougar are heading south.

There are tons of deer to eat, and lots of hunting bans on two legged predators.

Darwin Rules.

Go figure.

I have pics of a big bear that was road killed just north of bruderheim two years ago also seen sow and 2 cubs last year on my farm when i was shed hunting east of bruderheim

Stinky Buffalo 10-15-2010 03:21 PM

Watched a bear run by in Elk Island park last year...

wbo 10-19-2010 12:29 PM

is ministik open to hunting this year?... i hear they are stopping it?

any one know what is the status right now with ministik lake gamebird sanctuary... i heard some are closing it to hunting? true?

boonedocks 10-19-2010 07:44 PM

I saw a sow black bear with triplets last year while fishing on the NSR not far from the Fort.

whitetalehunter12 10-22-2010 09:51 AM

A guy I know who lives by the sanctuary said he had a cougar on his deck! a couple years ago. He also said he saw 4 different bears there to. dont no if this is true though.

hartmut birkholz 03-17-2011 09:18 AM

bears in ministik

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitetalehunter12 (Post 707111)
Has anyone seen any bears in there?

i bin walkin my dogs in ministik for 16 years and have seen a sow and 2cups about 10 years ago and my dogs treed a young one about 5years ago i also have seen a bear in my backfield i live 10km west of ministik