Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Transmission Jack (Edmonton) (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=339732)

masalma 02-20-2018 08:26 PM

Transmission Jack (Edmonton)

Throwout bearing went on my Jeep and managed to drop the transmission using a floor jack but putting it back in the next couple of days once I change the clutch and pilot bearing, don't really want to use a floor jack as it would require a lot of work lining it up.

Anyone have a transmission jack I could rent for a day or two or know of a place that rents them? Can't really justify spending $250+ on one for a single use. And don't want to do the buy and return as I think it is unethical.

Or if anyone has any tips to getting it back on using a floor jack that doesn't involve too much swearing.

MyAlberta 02-20-2018 10:45 PM

Oh man, great workout, especially for an older fellow. My last one was the auto in my exploder. My technique with the floor jack is to build a 2x4 base that sets the trans angle while giving a level point over the CG to rest on the hoist. I slide the Tran under, then using 2x4 blocks, see saw it up into the hump. Once high enough, slide the jack and wood base under to complete the hoist. One hand to steady the trans, other runs the jack. When you get close to home the trans is contained in the hump, so it just becomes position and assist to slide it home. Make sure to pilot your friction plate if you had done any work there.

Kristopher10 02-20-2018 10:50 PM

Check at Princess auto, I think they used to sell a transmission adapter plate that would work on a regular floor jack.

partsman 02-20-2018 11:29 PM

Man I remember laying in the dirt pulling my Borg warner automatic transmission out of my 1961 Zodiac onto my chest, then off me onto the dirt to be able to change the engine rear oil seal which was the old rope seal, had to use a Chinese finger to take out and then pull new one in.
Then squeeze back under and work trans onto me and work it back into place, the things you can do when young!

Kristopher10 02-20-2018 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristopher10 (Post 3736251)
Check at Princess auto, I think they used to sell a transmission adapter plate that would work on a regular floor jack.

Here is the link.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ck/A-p8667891e

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaberTosser 02-21-2018 01:24 AM

Tool rental shops might well have such an item available.

jpohlic 02-21-2018 04:58 AM

I did the clutch in my jeep TJ twice and it wasn't too bad using a floor jack. I used a ratchet strap to hold the tranny to the jack but kept it loose enough that I could still move it around to line everything up. The worst part was having to crawl under the darn thing. I told myself if I ever had to do it a third time I'd rent a shop bay with a vehicle lift for a day. If you need a clutch alignment tool I have one you can borrow.

1899b 02-21-2018 05:12 AM

330k on the Jeep Wrangler sitting in our garage right now. Hope reading this thread didn’t jinx us! Good luck with your install..

2000victory 02-21-2018 02:45 PM

I think Partsource rents them out

Ken07AOVette 02-21-2018 03:33 PM

I wish you were closer, I would just put you up on the 4 post lift :(

Opalsasquatch 02-21-2018 07:02 PM

The last one I did for my brother was an older ford half ton
Some times it’s just as easy to hand bomb it if it isn’t a steel case and 300lbs
Helps to have a helper push on it while you’re starting the bolts

That transmission adapter from PA sounds like a good idea too, I might have to pick one up.
Have input seal to do one day on my truck, and I’m not benching a 4L60

"Shuuuuuuussssshhhhh.

You can't post stuff like that, too many heads will explode."
Hillbillyreefer

RandyBoBandy 02-21-2018 08:21 PM

masalma has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
:)

masalma 02-22-2018 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy (Post 3736908)
masalma has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
:)

Sorry just cleaned up my. Inbox. Got the throw out bearing replaced. Just have to slap on the new pilot bearing and clutch. Need to pick up a bearing puller on the way home.