Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Quantum vs Pflueger (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=404009)

dr.crentist 10-07-2021 04:07 PM

Quantum vs Pflueger

I've been using a Quantum HSX 54 Hellcat combo for a few years now, been pretty good for a 12lb medium rod. I noticed my son picking it up instead of his Zebco 33 and I thought it would be a good time to get another medium combo for the family.

Checked out Cabelas and the Pflueger President is on sale, virtually the same specs but a few bucks more than I paid for the Quantum. I thought it would be a good time to compare but was disappointed when I got it home and held them side by side. On the water test will have to come later. The Pflueger reel is a fair bit smaller, lighter but not in a good way, less bearings and looks like it contains more plastic compared to the Quantum. The rod looks nice, I went with a cork handle rather than the molded pistol grip but the eyelets look flimsy.

Next purchase I'm going to piece together with a nicer rod and reel rather than buying a combo. Suggestions? (6'6" or 7' - 12lb line - medium action)

dustinjoels 10-07-2021 04:46 PM

I have almost every pflueger reel made. From the purist/Trion on the low end up to the patriarch. And I will never go back to shimano.

I’ve never tried the quantum reels so I have no comparison.

mlee 10-07-2021 05:53 PM

The newer presidents aren't as good as the older ones from even 10 years ago.....that said they are still probably a top 3 reel under $100. I own 4 in 3 sizes.....and they have been through hell and back. Can't comment on the rods. The last president combo I bought was a 6' ML fenwick eagle rod with a 2500 president like 7 years ago.

sk270 10-07-2021 06:26 PM

I have a Pflueger Patriarch and a Supreme. They compare well to Shimanos owned by friends. Never had a Quantum spinning reel so no direct comparison.

elkhunter11 10-07-2021 06:58 PM

I have two Quantum Energy reels, one is 7-8 years old with 10 bearings, the other around 10 years old with 7 bearings, both have been excellent reels.

Willowtrail 10-07-2021 08:33 PM

I run a lot of Quantum gear.

Anything from lower end Throttle to the Smoke.

In Spinning reels I have a few Throttles, an Energy, couple Vapor and a Smoke. Haven't struggled with any and can't say anything bad about them. They all work great and sound great screaming with a 7lb walleye on them.

I don't have any Pflueger anymore. I had a Trion but didn't like it but I think that's because it was a 40 series

trigger7mm 10-07-2021 08:39 PM

Quantum vs pfluger

I really like my pflueger reels. President and supreme. Better than my Shimano reels in my opinion.

calgarygringo 10-07-2021 09:27 PM

You guys realize the answer is about the same as askung who makes the best pickup. They all make decent reels at the different quality levels. Saying that they all have their quirks. When I sold them you could spin any mfg story and make it sound good or bad. I like the old retail theory that you should never buy the cheapest or most expensive. The cheapest is garbage and the top of the line is the same as the top of the middle line with more glitz. Was in retail for too many years and know how the game really works.

The Fisherman Guy 10-07-2021 09:29 PM

Both are good brands, my vote goes to Pflueger. Have beat up many different President & President XT reels over the years - and never once - has one failed me.

CptnBlues63 10-08-2021 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinjoels (Post 4423038)
I have almost every pflueger reel made. From the purist/Trion on the low end up to the patriarch. And I will never go back to shimano.

I’ve never tried the quantum reels so I have no comparison.

My last big reel purchase was a Pfleuger Patriarch. I love it. I have it on my 7' med/light rod.

Took a friend fishing last year and let him try my rod/reel while I used the wife's for a bit and it has a mid range Quantum on a really nice 6'6" rod my best friend gave me (he had two identical ones and gave me it).

I liked my Pfleuger a lot more than the Quantum and prefer the longer rod. That's just my preference though. Everybody has their own taste.

35 whelen 10-08-2021 01:01 PM

Pflueger all the way I have three or four of them great reels

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OL_JR 10-10-2021 08:19 PM

I wouldn't overlook Daiwa stuff in your search.

roper1 10-10-2021 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgarygringo (Post 4423142)
You guys realize the answer is about the same as askung who makes the best pickup. They all make decent reels at the different quality levels. Saying that they all have their quirks. When I sold them you could spin any mfg story and make it sound good or bad. I like the old retail theory that you should never buy the cheapest or most expensive. The cheapest is garbage and the top of the line is the same as the top of the middle line with more glitz. Was in retail for too many years and know how the game really works.

Experience speaks, Thanks!

SamSteele 10-10-2021 09:52 PM

I have Pfleuger Supreme XTs, Shimano Symetres, Shimano Saros, Abu Garcia Soron STXs, Shimano Stradic Ci4+s, and Shimano Vanfords. The Vanfords and Ci4+s are my favs of this lot. I have also had Quantum and Diawa reels in the past and they have not stood up well, in my experience. Shimano has never let me down.

fish99 10-11-2021 05:15 PM

I as well have a lot of old quantum reels that are not great anymore . they did not last as long as i thought they should

AlbertanGP 10-11-2021 05:41 PM

Ci4+'s and Vanfords are in a different league from anything either of these manufacturers make, and yes you will notice the difference.

I have owned pretty much every Pflueger model in recent memory. One of the best bang for the buck brands out there and hard to beat at their price point. I've only owned one Quantum spinning reel that I can recall. It's a discontinued Energy PT reel that still finds its way through the crowd onto one of my better rods every season. It's probably the biggest surprise reel I've bought, and nothing better comes to mind other than my Ci4+'s. I seem to recall it being a $200+ reel years ago when I got it, so it really should be better than a Pflueger. ;)