Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Multi day drifts (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=315261)

Pikecrazed 02-16-2017 09:59 PM

Multi day drifts

Since I got my drift raft almost a year ago I have done about 50 drifts in it all on the bow river. For this upcoming season I would like to do a few multi day drifts on some different rivers. Information on these seem far and few between. So I was wondering, other than the bow what are some rivers that could be drifted for more than a day trip?
Thanks for any info

lannie 02-16-2017 10:01 PM

The Elk River.

ÜberFly 02-17-2017 08:04 AM

Red Deer

Smason 02-17-2017 08:27 AM

a short section of the oldman just below dam.
head to montana, lots of water to float there.

goose slayer10 02-17-2017 09:29 AM

The new regs in BC make it a little tough for us Albertans now but there is tons of water in the south east portion of BC that just seems to go forever. I'm sure you could multi day float a lot of it. Might be worth a look.

cheers.

Dr.Shortington 02-17-2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smason (Post 3474105)
a short section of the oldman just below dam.
head to montana, lots of water to float there.

I have never floated the Old Man before. Would you be willing to recommend a popular day trip?

3blade 02-17-2017 11:27 AM

X2 on the red deer. Lots of access options, easy water, big fish. Take an 8 wt and lots of streamers, you can get some beautiful browns and a lot of gold eye, pike and walleye.

RoscoeT 02-17-2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pikecrazed (Post 3473919)
Since I got my drift raft almost a year ago I have done about 50 drifts in it all on the bow river. For this upcoming season I would like to do a few multi day drifts on some different rivers. Information on these seem far and few between. So I was wondering, other than the bow what are some rivers that could be drifted for more than a day trip?
Thanks for any info

I'm curious about drifting rivers in small rafts, is it possible/easy to do solo?
I've always seen it done with someone at the oars.

lannie 02-17-2017 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Shortington (Post 3474264)
I have never floated the Old Man before. Would you be willing to recommend a popular day trip?

Below the Dam is a very short 3 hour float if you stop at the summer view bridge. Past that and you will likely run into a few of the boys from Brocket wanting something of value for being on their river.

professori 02-18-2017 09:40 AM

The Thompson river from Kootenay Lake (Savonna) to Ashcroft. Not rated Class 1 and 2 water (white water rating, not classified waters). Great dry fly fishing in late July early August.

Mr Flyguy 02-18-2017 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by professori (Post 3474966)
The Thompson river from Kootenay Lake (Savonna) to Ashcroft. Not rated Class 1 and 2 water (white water rating, not classified waters). Great dry fly fishing in late July early August.

You mean Kamloops Lake I think!

bergman 02-18-2017 07:39 PM

North sask has some great sections I have canoed. Have never done it in a drift.

From Rocky Mt House to Drayton Valley (Wiley West campground has a takeout) is about a 3-5 day trip IIRC. Drayton to Berrymoor bridge is 2 day float. Neither have rapids.

Red Deer is good, too, but last year levels were way way down and you could hardly canoe the thing. Low rainfall = low dam release.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoscoeT (Post 3474525)
I'm curious about drifting rivers in small rafts, is it possible/easy to do solo?
I've always seen it done with someone at the oars.

I would think about bringing a good anchor or two and setting them upstream of or beside the holes you wanna fish. Dunno if that works or if its frowned upon by anglers. Otherwise eddy out and fish from shore!

bergman 02-18-2017 07:42 PM

Also, the paddling organizations have good river maps for most major rivers.
You can find them at any paddling store, and places like MEC.

Here's a website:
http://paddlealberta.org/paddling/paddling_database.asp

Fishfri 03-07-2017 09:06 PM

north

I just watched a series of vids on youtube about a guy and his girlfriend that did the Athabasca from start to finish. From the glacier north to Arctic circle.

Expedition 2012 Source to Sea [de la Source à la Mer] - Stage 1/5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpKWi5QknrE

good watching.

Flight01 03-08-2017 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishfri (Post 3488601)
I just watched a series of vids on youtube about a guy and his girlfriend that did the Athabasca from start to finish. From the glacier north to Arctic circle.

Expedition 2012 Source to Sea [de la Source à la Mer] - Stage 1/5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpKWi5QknrE

good watching.

Very good. I had particular interest in the section from the town of Athabasca down to Fort McMurray. A few portages and some lining maybe I will do that one year.

Bhflyfisher 03-08-2017 11:51 AM

Most of our rivers can be drifted. Spend some time on google earth/bing maps and look for obstacles. Nice thing about 1 man boats is they can usually be portaged around anything serious/dangerous that you may be uncomfortable with.

Another good source is the back roads map book, has some good info on paddling some rivers, along with the class of water associated with drifts, put ins/take outs. If you're not comfortable with Class III yet, stick to Class I-II, but typically class III can be handled relatively easily with smaller rafts, or worst case, go around.

I'll add, NEVER take the outside bend/line on any river, and always line up with slower inside bend/Face the danger. I've seen pontoons flip on the RDR because of malpractice and thats a pretty mellow river. Always wear a life jacket. Bring a bike and lock it to a tree at your take out, and then bike back up at the end of the day.

Flieguy 03-08-2017 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by professori (Post 3474966)

you cannot fish this section from a boat, the fishing is still decent but you have to stop and wade