Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Where to get tying supplies near Rocky? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=154666)

Got2fish 11-01-2012 07:20 PM

Where to get tying supplies near Rocky?

I have searched the net for stores in Red Deer, but nothing has come up.

Any pointers on where to get tying supplies near Rocky Mtn House?

juno 11-01-2012 08:35 PM

Check UFA in Red Deer. They have some supplies.

pikergolf 11-01-2012 08:44 PM

Best bet is mailorder, Fishin Hole is good, way better than there website would indicate, just tell them what you want.
Or http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=104403

Got2fish 11-01-2012 08:50 PM

I have been going to Calgary the past few to times, but I end up spending 200$ plus on supplies to justify the distance.

Yes I tie alot. Some would say I have too much tying supplies, I say there's no such thing.

Thanks for the heads up on UFA.

Does Stream Weaver Flies actually have a shop?

Thanks guys much appreciated.

Got2fish 11-01-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 1679452)
Best bet is mailorder, Fishin Hole is good, way better than there website would indicate, just tell them what you want.
Or http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=104403

The only thing I'll order off the web is died peac0ck feathers, hooks and synthetics.

I prefer to touch naturals in hand.

Thanks though.

Their store in Calgary, near the Ikea has an ok selection, seems like they have alot to offer, but shelves seem a little bare. Do they only restock once a year? This is not a rant, yet a general quesion. I use to work at a fly shop back in Ontario, called Sail. I know how bigger box shops operate. I also know the mom and pop local fly shop will order you anything you want, no minimum order, atleast at the Orvis shop in Ottawa.

fish gunner 11-02-2012 01:07 AM

check out any local taxidermy stores they often have tying materials around, the sporsmans den in red deer has a selection of tying material. the source for sports had some material in sylvan lake , its been a few yrs since I have been there. hope that helps.

Got2fish 11-02-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish gunner (Post 1679829)
check out any local taxidermy stores they often have tying materials around, the sporsmans den in red deer has a selection of tying material. the source for sports had some material in sylvan lake , its been a few yrs since I have been there. hope that helps.

Thanks.

braggadoe 11-02-2012 06:41 AM

for the 200$ you spend at a flyshop. you can 800-1000$ worth of stuff by ordering direct from superfly or hairline. just saying.

Got2fish 11-02-2012 06:45 AM

I thought you needed to be a fly shop to order from Superfly.

I'm going to look in to that.

Thanks.

Got2fish 11-02-2012 06:53 AM

I just sent an email to Superfly. I'll report back here with a reply from them.

Got2fish 11-02-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braggadoe (Post 1679883)
for the 200$ you spend at a flyshop. you can 800-1000$ worth of stuff by ordering direct from superfly or hairline. just saying.

This is an email I got back from Superfly,

"Hi Matt

Thanks for your interest our tying products. 250km away from a tying store would be rough and I feel for you. However, we are a company that whole sales to our vendor partners and do not sell directly to individual consumers.
In your case I would suggest that ordering online from one of our larger vendors would be the best way to go. I would recommend either www.wholesalesports.com or www.cabelas.ca . Both companies carry a huge range of our products.

Hopefully this helps you out.

Have a great day"

Braggadoe, do you order your supplies from them? Are a vendor? Care to sell me some supplies at cost? :)

pikergolf 11-02-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got2fish (Post 1679490)
The only thing I'll order off the web is died peac0ck feathers, hooks and synthetics.

I prefer to touch naturals in hand.

Thanks though.

Their store in Calgary, near the Ikea has an ok selection, seems like they have alot to offer, but shelves seem a little bare. Do they only restock once a year? This is not a rant, yet a general quesion. I use to work at a fly shop back in Ontario, called Sail. I know how bigger box shops operate. I also know the mom and pop local fly shop will order you anything you want, no minimum order, atleast at the Orvis shop in Ottawa.

Here's the Mom and Pop shop I order from, I like you, want quality and trust the Waspi brand name of materials. You can go through the waspi catalog at the waspi site, but cannot order from them. This shop carries their stuff and are very knowledgeable, you do pay a premium for shipping though. Hardest thing I found was finding a shop that carried everything so didn't have to order from multiple suppliers, these guys work for me. I get what I can from Fishin Hole and these guys for the rest.

Got2fish 11-02-2012 11:24 AM

Yeah it's hard to find certain shops that do carry a wide variety of supplies. I might swing over to the fishing hole in Edmonton or is the Calgary location better for quantity of stock.

Thanks everybody for helping me. The savings in fuel are greatly appreciated.

Lornce 11-02-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got2fish (Post 1680223)
Yeah it's hard to find certain shops that do carry a wide variety of supplies. I might swing over to the fishing hole in Edmonton or is the Calgary location better for quantity of stock.

Thanks everybody for helping me. The savings in fuel are greatly appreciated.

Don't know about the Edmonton store but the Calgary one has a great selection.

Jayhad 11-02-2012 11:40 AM

I'm pretty sure Fish Tales will ship to you, email them with a list of what you want, they'll let you know if the have it and for how much.

Dave and Nancy are great people.

greylynx 11-02-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhad (Post 1680251)
I'm pretty sure Fish Tales will ship to you, email them with a list of what you want, they'll let you know if the have it and for how much.

Dave and Nancy are great people.

Fish Tales will ship, and they are fast.

They have stuff no else carries

mattpreat 11-02-2012 01:46 PM

for my supply's i always go to sportsmens den in red deer, and if i can find it there i just wait for a trip to Edmonton or Calgary and get what i need there. One of the guys at sportmens den has been awesome for me, helped loads with advice on tying many flys and helping find materials. as a begginer id definitely recommend going there, but for harder to get things and if you know what your doing id head to Calgary or Edmonton for sure

Got2fish 11-02-2012 01:59 PM

Again thank you so much for the info.

I plan on going down to Calgary on Saturday it seems, so I'll be dropping in a couple shops to see what they have.

Got2fish 11-03-2012 05:43 PM

Made it to the Fishin Hole, Wholesale sports and Fish-tales.

Just want to make a shout out to the staff at fish-tales, thanks for the great service. Very impressed! I will be a return customer for all my fly fishing related gear and tying supplies.

For the other stores, well....I get better service at McDonalds. Enough said.

Flyfisher87 11-03-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got2fish (Post 1682273)
Made it to the Fishin Hole, Wholesale sports and Fish-tales.

Just want to make a shout out to the staff at fish-tales, thanks for the great service. Very impressed! I will be a return customer for all my fly fishing related gear and tying supplies.

For the other stores, well....I get better service at McDonalds. Enough said.

Glad to hear you made out well. I prefer to support the local Mom and Pop shops in the city. In fact, I have 3 within a 5 to 10 minute drive of my house here in Calgary. Fish Tales being one of them. I enjoy the conversation as much as I enjoy buying stuff.

Got2fish 11-03-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyfisher87 (Post 1682298)
Glad to hear you made out well. I prefer to support the local Mom and Pop shops in the city. In fact, I have 3 within a 5 to 10 minute drive of my house here in Calgary. Fish Tales being one of them. I enjoy the conversation as much as I enjoy buying stuff.

What other local shops could you recommend? How does country pleasure's fly shop hold up compared to fish-tales. I was very impressed with the selection of materials. They were saying they are in the process of renovating, and that they will have more tying supplies in stock in the near future. I will be taking advantage of mail ordering from them. Saves me the drive. Certain things I do like to check out in person, but synthetics I don't mind getting online.

Today I purchased some body fur from the fishing hole and fish tales. I'm not discouraging anybody from buying materials from the fishing hole, but inspect what you are getting before buying. The package of body fur from Fish Tales had twice the ammount than the same package from the fishing hole. Not sure if this is standard practice from the fishing hole to stretch out stock but not impressed and no longer making any purchases from the fishing hole.

Flyfisher87 11-03-2012 08:50 PM

Pm sent.

bobly 11-18-2012 01:37 PM

Supplies

Try Thorne's Manufacturing online. rthorne@thornesmanufacturing...
E-mail Address(es):
rthorne@thornesmanufacturing.com

Cheers, Bob.

Outcast 1100 11-23-2012 07:31 AM

go to stream weaver flies in red deer, has a fly shop in garage, the best selection of fly tying gear in alberta, i am not kidding, great prices to. check internet for contact info.

truckon 11-23-2012 08:44 AM

tying supplies

wolverine in RedDeer has a fair bit of supplies