Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Treestands (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=390431)

ab_hunter 11-12-2020 07:51 AM

Treestands

Hi there,

Just wondering what everyone is using for treestands for archery hunting whitetails? My big game treestands have to be the loudest thing on the planet when I shift my weight or move my feet.

Thanks in advance

ramonmark 11-12-2020 08:08 AM

I have 5 of the cheap big game tree stands. Had the same issue. What u do now is spray the stand with under coating to help with noise from items hitting it (all tree stands should have this in.my opinion). I used to use hockey tape but that took forever to install. Then I use a cheap ratchet strap to tighten the stand to the tree. I leave the strap on for extra security and it also takes away the squeeks when shifting in the stand. Haven't had an issue yet. I like the cheaper stands so I can leave them set up on private property year round. Bought all 5 for 80$ shipped each on Amazon . Can't beat that price.

bucksnbears 11-12-2020 07:45 PM

Cold will cause many problems with metal stand.
Fewer moving parts the better.

muirsy 11-12-2020 07:53 PM

I bought a tree saddle this year and will never look back. Game changer.

Prdtrgttr 11-12-2020 10:29 PM

Lone wolf. Easy to set up. Stable and whisper quiet.

Passthru 11-12-2020 11:29 PM

I just bought a Millennium M100U stand this year. Quiet, light, real easy to setup and the most comfortable treestand I have ever sat in. Game changer for all day sits. You get what you pay for.

jayquiver 11-13-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ab_hunter (Post 4266471)
Hi there,

Just wondering what everyone is using for treestands for archery hunting whitetails? My big game treestands have to be the loudest thing on the planet when I shift my weight or move my feet.

Thanks in advance

tape every part with hockey tape. it works. make sure its super tight when attached to the tree.

I have a Big Game and a Lonewolf. I don't leave my Lonewolf out on crown land. lol. If someone steals my Big Game not a huge deal.

58thecat 11-13-2020 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ab_hunter (Post 4266471)
Hi there,

Thanks in advance

I got three of these and added additional ratchet straps to cinch them up real good...no noise issues at all.

ab_hunter 11-13-2020 07:47 PM

I might have a lemon because I have 2 straps tight on my stand and if I shift my weight at all you can hear the stand popping. I am not a heavy guy either. Time to buy a higher quality stand.

dfrobert 11-13-2020 11:00 PM

The Hawk hang on’s are the quietest I’ve run. Solid no flex in the platform as well.

Passthru 11-14-2020 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ab_hunter (Post 4267691)
I might have a lemon because I have 2 straps tight on my stand and if I shift my weight at all you can hear the stand popping. I am not a heavy guy either. Time to buy a higher quality stand.

Dumb question but did you clear all the snow off your boots before stepping onto your stand. Hard snow on metal is super noisy

58thecat 11-14-2020 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ab_hunter (Post 4267691)

I put one by the seat area and each rung gets one for a total of four plus what was provided...the bottom of the stand is pushed into the earth too....when I shift around the only thing that moves a bit is the tree....I can stand up and turn around to look behind with no noise at all....gotta cinch them up snug....

dfrobert 11-14-2020 08:55 PM

Some brands of stands are just loud. Last few I’ve bought have been Muddy and Hawk, quite and sturdy.

DeadEyeGardner 11-15-2020 05:21 AM

I have a low quality ladder stand that was loud as hell too. I used plastic washers on all the bolt connections, I put a piece of marine/boat floor vinyl on the platform and connected with zap straps, I used a pool noodle to go on all the arm rests and safety bar then wrapped them in camo fabric. I picked up a foam hunting pad with back rest at princess auto. If it’s strapped properly to the tree, it hardly makes any noise anymore, with me standing and turning around. I weigh 210lbs. Picked it up for $100 at a garage sale. Put a few bucks into it (literally a few) and it’s handling the cold weather well.

I believe that not all problems need to be solved with spending lots of money... just being resourceful. We are outdoorsmen and outdoorswomen after all.

MrDave 11-19-2020 07:19 PM

I've always been a ground hunter. This season someone set up a Big Game stand near where I hunt. Then haven't been back. So I tried it and am so glad I didn't buy one. Seat is too narrow to quietly turn. With the bar down I can't move my crossbow very well. So sticking to the blind and my tree impressions.

As for noise, make sure you tighten the bolts really good. The stand I tried had loose blots and the metal moved at the joints. Every time I scratched my nuts, it sounded like am old Ford door.

Vacation 11-19-2020 08:13 PM

I had a buddy weld a support on the middle of the base on my stand. Quieted it down. Doesn't spook critters now.

Stik'em 11-20-2020 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muirsy (Post 4267022)
I bought a tree saddle this year and will never look back. Game changer.

x2

cuttincircles 11-20-2020 09:11 PM

Following, always been a ground hunter, looking at getting in the air as well. Don’t mind spending a decent dollar if it’s good quality and lasts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stinky Buffalo 11-20-2020 09:27 PM

I've really enjoyed using Lone Wolf stands. Pricey, though. Also, not always easy to find around these parts.

58thecat 11-21-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuttincircles (Post 4271879)
Following, always been a ground hunter, looking at getting in the air as well. Don’t mind spending a decent dollar if it’s good quality and lasts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got two big game stands that are 10 and 11 years old...still strapped to the same trees....cheap one last two and like I said earlier one ratchet strap per section really tight minimizes any movement/noise....plus another thing I did was the two bottom legs are stuck into the earth...loose a foot of height maybe but man are they secure and noiseless.