Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Coyote Skinner Wanted (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=403904)

HunterDave 10-04-2021 04:23 PM

Coyote Skinner Wanted

I'm looking for a coyote skinner within driving distance of Morinville for this upcoming season. Please PM me if you are interested or if you know of someone that might be.

coy coyote 10-04-2021 09:42 PM

Seems like custom coyote skinners are a thing of the past anymore. Talked with some guys last Sunday about the exact same thing. They're not touching them under 30 a coyote. Seems like someone spoiled them. But there's always someone that does it cheaper lol [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Trapperdylan 10-05-2021 10:51 AM

average going rate

I am starting to do coyotes for the hutterites close to grande prairie this year, curious what people charge as I am new to this but have gotten pretty efficient at putting up coyotes. shot coyote vs snared? Not trying to derail this at all just curious as id do them for you Dave but we live a little far from one another.

Thanks

Marty S 10-06-2021 08:32 AM

Lowest i hear is $12, highest $35, not counting the 50/50 guys. Lotsa guys at $20

Shot should be more than snared unless zero damage.

Im happy paying $15 on snared, and grouchy at $20.

The more proficient a person is, the less he/she needs to charge, and still do a super job. A Hutterite kid starting out might take 2 hours to do a coyote and a seasoned pro might take 15 minutes and have a much superior finish.

If you do coyotes for $10, people will be beating your door down and you will be swamped, if you do decent work. If you charge $35, you’ll make more per coyote but many trappers will treat you like you got both covid and syphillis!!! Apparently both are a problem here in AB so watch out!

Bushmaster 10-06-2021 10:21 AM

OK you three.I know all three of you are very experienced at skinning coyotes. And I've done my fair share years ago. But I'm curious to know...how long did/does it take you to skin the hide off the carcass...nothing more? No fleshing included.

coy coyote 10-06-2021 10:57 AM

Avg of 6 mins a coyote all evening long. That's from the pups to the old greasy fat coyote . that didn't get away from te bait pile all day long . Now that's 45 to 50 coyotes an evening

Marty S 10-06-2021 08:53 PM

Skinning varies. Depends upon the dawg and condition it is in, hot,cold, stiff, size, age, fat content vs x-lean/dry. Just skinning proper kiyute or fresh/hot, people like me can skin regularly at 3 minutes and some under 2 minutes. I have a video of kiyute cartel member A.P. at 1:25 but small coyote. His two bestest buddies same calibre. I think Garrett Patton got timed at 1:37or 1:34 at trapper convention but with an adult coyote, but nice one to skin. Same contest my first time beat his first time, is individual coyote dependant, but 1:30 something was the winner. Lotsa guys are capable of this, especially guys who skin mass quantities for furbuyers as in 2000-5000 between 2 or 3 guys. Beasley had a guy one winter that wanted $$$$$$ and skinned his whole collection that winter… smoothest skinner i ever witnessed peel in my life and he did everything manually, as in no winch. Lucky dawg tho fleshed everything on a fleshing machine and stretched hide out so no turning combing or even washing. Ugliness in the raw but perfection once dressed.
GFW has a crew of Mexican skinners that will burn thru 500+ in a day. Each guy has a job, production line, one guy peels. Sounds batty to the uninitiated, i know but whatever.

Anyways, not all coyotes are 2 or three minutes, some are tough, and takes time to turn skin and haul carcass out the door, hang, unhang. Some tough suckers at 5 minutes even 6?

coy coyote 10-06-2021 09:04 PM

Back in the late 80s and 90s we were skinning for 8 different guys. So 70 to 80 coyotes an evening was the norm. There was two guys skinning. Both were over 200 pounds and they would skin the legs and pull to the shoulders take the front legs out ,pull to the ears and skin the head. Most were skinned around the 3 min mark. 99 percent were dogged and shotgunned coyotes. Guess who did the sewing . At a mere 1.50 a coyote . Sometimes you had to skin a mangy one for parts of fur. Lol good times.

Marty S 10-08-2021 08:37 AM

Just give Jeffy Bakker a call Davey. Hes right in your backyard. Does good work.
Thot you’d know who your local fur putter uppers were?

Esox 10-08-2021 10:13 AM

anyone in the camrose area do custom skinning? Planning on running 3 or 4 baits this winter on some land I have permission on.

pikeslayer22 10-08-2021 05:02 PM

Couple colonies did last year

coy coyote 10-09-2021 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esox (Post 4423261)
anyone in the camrose area do custom skinning? Planning on running 3 or 4 baits this winter on some land I have permission on.

I know a few guys in that area that you could contact, they custom skin and will vouch for them

coyotekiller 10-26-2021 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coy coyote (Post 4423823)
I know a few guys in that area that you could contact, they custom skin and will vouch for them

I’m interested as well I’ll send you a pm

NewGuyTrapper 10-28-2021 09:32 PM

Anyone skinning coyotes down by Lloydminster. New to the trapping game but shoot a few coyotes.

Albertacoyotecaller 11-07-2021 09:06 PM

Looking for a skinner in the Peace area.

wolfcrazy 11-07-2021 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albertacoyotecaller (Post 4436505)
Looking for a skinner in the Peace area.

Where about I know a few in the area.

Albertacoyotecaller 11-08-2021 09:06 PM

Peace River area

wolfcrazy 11-10-2021 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albertacoyotecaller (Post 4436883)
Peace River area

PM sent