Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Waterfowl with a bow? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=402260)

Desert Eagle 08-14-2021 05:51 PM

Waterfowl with a bow?

Has anyone done it?

Going through the regs like I do every year I saw it is not lawful to use a cross bow, no specific wording about a bow though.

I’m interested to hear if anyone has done it and if you were successful?

Also I’m more than happy to talk about your interpretation of the regs.

Thanks

Lefty-Canuck 08-14-2021 06:29 PM

Yes hunted ducks and geese with the bow, as part of the ABA game awards migratory birds is a category.

From the regs,

“Bowhunting

Hunters wishing to hunt game birds with a bow and arrow, other than a cross-bow, require a Bowhunting Permit in addition to the other applicable licences.

In accordance with federal regulations, cross-bows may not be used for waterfowl hunting.”

LC

Desert Eagle 08-14-2021 06:56 PM

Thanks Lefty!

Anything specific that is required for this, or just lots of arrows with Judo tips?

Any specific practice methods?

I’m excited that this is a thing.

Lefty-Canuck 08-14-2021 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Eagle (Post 4403898)
Thanks Lefty!

Anything specific that is required for this, or just lots of arrows with Judo tips?

Any specific practice methods?

I’m excited that this is a thing.

Look at getting “flu flu” arrows, they slow down fast so you can actually find them. If shooting them out of the air. Also you may want to go with a traditional bow over a compound. Use a broadhead for geese, you might want to use one you can sharpen or replace blades on when they get real bad. You can spot and stalk ducks and geese on ponds but you will prob get wet :)

LC

calgarychef 08-14-2021 10:46 PM

We tried it a couple years ago, the flu flus make a lot of noise and we could watche the geese easily avoiding the arrows. I guess when geese have survived millennia dodging hawks they get fast.. this year we’ll be using regular hunting arrows with bright coloured shafts that we can find easily. I think the faster the arrow the more likely we’ll be to hit a bird in flight.

Old longBow 08-15-2021 06:42 PM

Get An Arrow Dog

Did this a couple of times, not very much success, but that was probably my great skills, get an ARROW DOG, one that can get the birds and get the arrows you cannot find or that are out in the water, my cocker spaniel was great at both, but best of all have fun.

pikergolf 08-16-2021 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old longBow (Post 4404255)
Did this a couple of times, not very much success, but that was probably my great skills, get an ARROW DOG, one that can get the birds and get the arrows you cannot find or that are out in the water, my cocker spaniel was great at both, but best of all have fun.

You are sending your dog after broad headed arrows? :thinking-006:

catnthehat 08-16-2021 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 4404394)
You are sending your dog after broad headed arrows? :thinking-006:

When we hunted birds using stick bows with dogs we used field points , NEVER broad heads
Cat

Old longBow 08-16-2021 10:36 AM

Broad Heads???

Dude look at the name , my broadheads were flint and stone for years....blunts for small game were all I ever used.....and still do today.

pikergolf 08-16-2021 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 4404412)
When we hunted birds using stick bows with dogs we used field points , NEVER broad heads
Cat

You are allowed to use field points for hunting?

catnthehat 08-16-2021 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 4404429)
You are allowed to use field points for hunting?

Birds, not big game.
Cat

pikergolf 08-16-2021 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 4404430)
Birds, not big game.
Cat

Huh, that surprises me.

catnthehat 08-16-2021 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 4404432)
Huh, that surprises me.

Lots of guys use blunts or judo heads for birds.
I normally use broad heads and fluflus for partrridge unless am hunting with the dogs, then it is field points only .
I have always used broad heads when hunting without the dogs for geese and ducks
Cat

pikergolf 08-16-2021 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 4404448)
Lots of guys use blunts or judo heads for birds.
I normally use broad heads and fluflus for partrridge unless am hunting with the dogs, then it is field points only .
I have always used broad heads when hunting without the dogs for geese and ducks
Cat

I can see blunts and judo,s for small upland, but for a strong flier like geese? :scared0018:

catnthehat 08-16-2021 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 4404457)
I can see blunts and judo,s for small upland, but for a strong flier like geese? :scared0018:

I when I mentioned "birds" and blunt s and judos I was meaning partridge and pheasants.
I don't know anyone who ever attempted taking a duck or a goose with a blunt or judo.
Cat

Flight01 08-31-2021 07:24 AM

Judo for game bird but I never knew we could archery hunt for migratory birds. That sounds like fun.

58thecat 08-31-2021 09:03 AM

Judo points and only at birds on the ground or sitting on a branch etc but never in the air for me….I like finding my arrows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lefty-Canuck 08-31-2021 06:11 PM

When we hunt geese and ducks it’s flu flus and broadheads, we aren’t using a dog to retrieve and we aren’t shooting over water.

LC

MyAlberta 09-19-2021 12:18 PM

Consider this from the migratory act;

Hunting Methods and Equipment
15 (1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5) and section 23.1, no person shall hunt a migratory bird

(a) except with a long bow and arrow or with a shotgun not larger than number 10 gauge;

I see however that in definitions;

long bow includes a recurve bow and a compound bow; (grand arc)