Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Whats the Theory of the PM (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=101700)

chubbdarter 08-16-2011 10:45 PM

Whats the Theory of the PM

I can understand trying to keep secrets BUT whats the point of posting in a thread.....sent you a pm for some secret spots....or....pm me if you want to know more. Anyone reading the thread that wants to know will then PM you so whats accomplished?.......might as well have just posted it for all to read.
Dont post anything and just pm that person, so it stays relatively secret

finsnfeathers 08-16-2011 10:49 PM

lemme send you a PM...but remember...it's top secret!!! Don't tell anybody you got it or who it was from!! :scared0018:

0liver 08-16-2011 10:52 PM

maybe I like only 1 person who is posting on my thread and I only want to give said advice to a select few.

idk interesting to see what will be said on this one

chubbdarter 08-16-2011 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0liver (Post 1048244)
maybe I like only 1 person who is posting on my thread and I only want to give said advice to a select few.

idk interesting to see what will be said on this one

Then why not send that person a pm without posting for the whole membership you have the answer. What do you reply to the people you dont like when they pm you?..........lol

bloopbloob 08-16-2011 10:57 PM

Because members have reputations on here, so for the most part, the offering members know who will not abuse the information. Also, for every active member on this site, there are hundreds (maybe thousands) who can see the published threads. Shows up in google searches etc. But non-members cannot PM... Publishing secrets to the world is a good way to destroy a good spot. Not everyone has the respect for our resources like most members on here do. Helping out a true fellow outdoorsman in a PM is the better way of going about it. :)

chubbdarter 08-16-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloopbloob (Post 1048252)
Because members have reputations on here, so for the most part, the offering members know who will not abuse the information. Also, for every active member on this site, there are hundreds (maybe thousands) who can see the published threads. Shows up in google searches etc. Publishing secrets to the world is a good way to destroy a good spot. Not everyone has the respect for our resources like most members on here do. Helping out a true fellow outdoorsman in a PM is the better way of going about it. :)

understood......so why post....PM sent...or PM me?........youve just told the world you know the answer and they will PM you......what do you reply to their PM's?..........oh i forgot....or.....sorry i cant tell you.....or....your not in the cool club.......

NSRfishing 08-16-2011 11:04 PM

i dont like pm i will continue to post my fishing reports about hermitage on this forum i have received several pm asking to stop i wont give away my honey holes but well known spots i will post reports pming me asking me to stop only makes me want to do it more just saying

horsetrader 08-16-2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloopbloob (Post 1048252)
Because members have reputations on here, so for the most part, the offering members know who will not abuse the information. Also, for every active member on this site, there are hundreds (maybe thousands) who can see the published threads. Shows up in google searches etc. But non-members cannot PM... Publishing secrets to the world is a good way to destroy a good spot. Not everyone has the respect for our resources like most members on here do. Helping out a true fellow outdoorsman in a PM is the better way of going about it. :)

If they know who will and who wont abuse the info why not just send the info to the people you figure won't abuse it and save the rest of us the rejection

Mike_W 08-16-2011 11:16 PM

I like the PM feature for buy sell as I get emails that I have a private message and I don't need to log in and check every hour if there was a question.

Lefty-Canuck 08-16-2011 11:18 PM

How else can we talk about you behind your back? Its way better in a PM....

LC

finsnfeathers 08-16-2011 11:21 PM

Personally, I'd think it would make a lot of sense in the "Buy and Sell" section, to allow ONLY PM's, and no thread replies or responses. Too many people ridiculing with posts in public on those threads about price etc. Buy and Sell is no place for public scrutiny. IMO...

I get your point chub, and really it makes no sense other than to blow your own horn when posting "PM sent" or "I'll PM you the bestest mostest wonderfullestest trophy honey hole in the wholest widestest world" Maybe it's to rack up more posts...maybe its to bump the post..who knows...:thinking-006:

bloopbloob 08-16-2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chubbdarter (Post 1048257)
understood......so why post....PM sent...or PM me?........youve just told the world you know the answer and they will PM you......what do you reply to their PM's?..........oh i forgot....or.....sorry i cant tell you.....or....your not in the cool club.......

to boost your post count!!!!!!!!

nice pics, thanks for posting!:)

chubbdarter 08-16-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloopbloob (Post 1048291)
to boost your post count!!!!!!!!

nice pics, thanks for posting!:)

pm's boost your post count?

bloopbloob 08-16-2011 11:29 PM

no. but replying in a thread to say you sent a pm does.......
and so does this!!
+1

finsnfeathers 08-16-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chubbdarter (Post 1048295)
pm's boost your post count?

no the post stating "PM SENT" boosts post count

chubbdarter 08-16-2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloopbloob (Post 1048301)
no. but replying in a thread to say you sent a pm does.......
and so does this!!
+1

Great explaination.....thanks for sharing

finsnfeathers 08-16-2011 11:31 PM

this could turn into "who's on first"

bloopbloob 08-16-2011 11:33 PM

For myself, I appreciate when someone says pm sent in one of my threads. I only have access via my Iphone a lot, and the notification does not show up on there most of the time, so then at least I know, and go looking for it.

chubbdarter 08-16-2011 11:34 PM

Everyone send HorseTrader a PM...he has a secret

bloopbloob 08-16-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chubbdarter (Post 1048308)
Everyone send HorseTrader a PM...he has a secret

PM sent
:sHa_shakeshout:

finsnfeathers 08-16-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloopbloob (Post 1048313)
PM sent
:sHa_shakeshout:

ditto
X3

finsnfeathers 08-16-2011 11:42 PM

anyone else notice that our post counts aren't counting..? errrr.....wait a minute....what?

bloopbloob 08-16-2011 11:45 PM

mine are! at 327 before this one.... It's a secret. PM sent!

chubbdarter 08-16-2011 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finsnfeathers (Post 1048316)
anyone else notice that our post counts aren't counting..? errrr.....wait a minute....what?

Rocky has deleted thousands of my posts....i stopped counting

finsnfeathers 08-16-2011 11:49 PM

i'm convinced cabelas is paying everyone $1 every time they mention cabelas on this site......

horsetrader 08-16-2011 11:51 PM

Only secret I got is I don't answer PM'S cause i got nothing to hide

Tezma 08-17-2011 12:17 AM

Its like, what came first the chicken or the egg? Well your wrong its the Rooster.

+1 Post count:sign0161:

FishlessFool 08-17-2011 06:51 AM

I think some people just want others to know that they have secret honey holes, so then they will think "Oohhh so-and-so must be such a good fisherman, they've got secret honey-holes that they only share with their friends!" Then they get a good ego-stroking when new people PM them asking to share their secrets.

I've got some 'skunk-holes', PM me for them, I'll share, honest.

WayneChristie 08-17-2011 07:41 AM

purely to irritate those who think they know everything about everything

chubbdarter 08-17-2011 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayneChristie (Post 1048425)
purely to irritate those who think they know everything about everything

hahahhhahahahahahh....i dont think the membership stops laughing long enough to be irritated......unless Pike are gaurding their nests again:scared0018: