Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The more you know! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=320182)

trophybook 04-21-2017 12:56 PM

The more you know!

So you can now get a pal/rpal without a picture! It's called a religious exemption. I urge all of you to write to your mp about this. It's quite scary. Don't believe me? Call the Canadian​ firearms​ center at 18007314000 and tell them you just passed your pal/rpal and have not yet submitted your application and you wear a full face niqab because of your religion and you are wondering how to proceed with the application..

dmcbride 04-21-2017 02:22 PM

Was just watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn2Hn85zMag

slickwilly 04-21-2017 02:52 PM

Guns are for everyone, right?

Scott N 04-21-2017 02:54 PM

I worship at the Church of 1911.

catnthehat 04-21-2017 03:15 PM

Personally speaking, I find the PAL/RPAL the most worthless pieces of plastic in my wallet- they are worthless as photo ID anywhere but buying a firearm.
Cat

Okotokian 04-21-2017 03:34 PM

Relax guys. This isn't just a muslim issue. Many Amish and Mennonites also refuse to be photographed for religious reasons. A large number of US states grant exemptions for drivers licenses and have done so since long before this whole veil issue came up. Wouldn't expect Rebel media to point that out however.

Here's an older story from 2007
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/25/us/25mennonites.html

Newview01 04-21-2017 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okotokian (Post 3522722)
Relax guys. This isn't just a muslim issue. Many Amish and Mennonites also refuse to be photographed for religious reasons. A large number of US states grant exemptions for drivers licenses and have done so since long before this whole veil issue came up. Wouldn't expect Rebel media to point that out however.

Here's an older story from 2007

Canada has never allowed this exemption on official ID. Until now apparently.

Okotokian 04-21-2017 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newview01 (Post 3522738)

That isn't quite true either. Some provinces that have photo ID for healthcare cards have a religious exemption. Of course Alberta doesn't demand a photo of anyone to dole out hundreds of thousands of dollars of healthcare services. SO one as to wonder about the value of photos on things like healthcare cards or PAL's anyway. What's the purpose of a photo on a PAL? You aren't even legally required to show the card to purchase a firearm.

58thecat 04-21-2017 05:19 PM

Yup, here we go again...sad but true, all Canadians but treated differently...I am at a complete hard shake of the head but I just got back from work and a cold beer will be on hand shortly!:sHa_shakeshout:

Bigwoodsman 04-21-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 3522804)
Yup, here we go again...sad but true, all Canadians but treated differently...I am at a complete hard shake of the head but I just got back from work and a cold beer will be on hand shortly!:sHa_shakeshout:

Isn't that what makes Canada, Canada?

We shouldn't be surprised or shocked by this. It's a government program!

BW

KGB 04-21-2017 06:51 PM

No photo require for PAL/RPAL !!!!!

I think I have seen it all but apparently not....
Did you know that there is an exemption available for your PAL /RPAL. Well here you go!
https://youtu.be/vn2Hn85zMag

JareS 04-21-2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 3522708)
Personally speaking, I find the PAL/RPAL the most worthless pieces of plastic in my wallet- they are worthless as photo ID anywhere but buying a firearm.
Cat

Exactly. Tried getting into an establishment a year or two ago. Refused to accept my PAL as valid photo ID, even with my AB Health card, Social Insurance, etc etc. They told me that the reason was that, and get this, "they're too easy to fake." So its legitimate enough for me to buy a gun, but not prove that I'm over 18....

elkhunter11 04-21-2017 07:01 PM

Just another example of the stupidity of our federal government.

270person 04-21-2017 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okotokian (Post 3522722)
Relax guys. This isn't just a muslim issue. Many Amish and Mennonites also refuse to be photographed for religious reasons.

Amish buying guns these days?

whiteout 04-21-2017 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3522893)
Just another example of the stupidity of our federal government.

Which government would that be, considering that it's not a new exemption you can request.

This really is a non-story.

If you apply for a PAL and have a religious exemption to the photo requirements, do people seriously think the background checks and reference checks are waived as well?

It's not just the "scary brown people" who might be asking for this exemption. There are other religious groups that object to photos appearing on identification.

Is the photo on a PAL really that much of a security feature? You can buy everything you want online these days, no physical person in front of the seller to compare to the picture on the license.

elkhunter11 04-21-2017 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteout (Post 3522921)
Which government would that be, considering that it's not a new exemption you can request.

This really is a non-story.

If you apply for a PAL and have a religious exemption to the photo requirements, do people seriously think the background checks and reference checks are waived as well?

It's not just the "scary brown people" who might be asking for this exemption. There are other religious groups that object to photos appearing on identification.

Is the photo on a PAL really that much of a security feature? You can buy everything you want online these days, no physical person in front of the seller to compare to the picture on the license.

If a picture is not a security feature, then why ask for a picture on the application? Why not just drop the picture requirement for everyone?

pikergolf 04-21-2017 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 270person (Post 3522894)
Amish buying guns these days?

Hutterites do.

whiteout 04-21-2017 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newview01 (Post 3522738)

Up until 2003, and probably 2009 due to legal battles, you could get an AB driver's license without a photo.

lannie 04-21-2017 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 3522936)
Hutterites do.

True, I have personally seen Hutterite licenses from the Lehrerleut sects that were without photos in the early eighties.

roger 04-21-2017 08:49 PM

theism is the root cause and the fact that decent society cant criticize it is deplorable.:sign0176:

Kim473 04-22-2017 07:23 AM

Firearms licences, no photo id required

What is wrong with this country and Government ? You have to watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn2H...&feature=share

WOW !

58thecat 04-22-2017 07:27 AM

Thought this already circulated yesterday...equality for all.....not!

elkhunter11 04-22-2017 07:45 AM

Total stupidity1 If a picture isn't required for everyone, then do away with the requirement for everyone.

dmcbride 04-22-2017 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3522930)
If a picture is not a security feature, then why ask for a picture on the application? Why not just drop the picture requirement for everyone?

A picture less Pal could be used by someone else to purchase firearms. I have never been asked to show another piece of ID, not that it would make a difference if there wasn't a picture.

Redfrog 04-22-2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 3522936)
Hutterites do.

Exactly and then they run amok though the neighbourhood wearing coloured socks and terrorizing the citizenry.:thinking-006:

wildbill 04-27-2017 10:16 PM

PAL photograph exemption?

I didn't realize certain people were exempt to having photos on their PALs, wow, just wow, the 1022 10+ mags are prohibited, and ARs, restricted, but there are people wondering around this country without photos on their pals? I gotta start smokin crack so I'm on the same page as these imbeciles, OH MY!!!

Newview01 04-27-2017 10:55 PM

It's not the crack they smoke, it's the books they read.

sailor 04-27-2017 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trophybook (Post 3522627)
So you can now get a pal/rpal without a picture! It's called a religious exemption. I urge all of you to write to your mp about this. It's quite scary. Don't believe me? Call the Canadian​ firearms​ center at 18007314000 and tell them you just passed your pal/rpal and have not yet submitted your application and you wear a full face niqab because of your religion and you are wondering how to proceed with the application..

C'mon don't you know that every photo of you is stealing a part of your soul?:)

silverdoctor 04-28-2017 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okotokian (Post 3522786)
That isn't quite true either. Some provinces that have photo ID for healthcare cards have a religious exemption. Of course Alberta doesn't demand a photo of anyone to dole out hundreds of thousands of dollars of healthcare services. SO one as to wonder about the value of photos on things like healthcare cards or PAL's anyway. What's the purpose of a photo on a PAL? You aren't even legally required to show the card to purchase a firearm.

C'mon Oki, you're trying to be the voice of reason on AO? Too much fact and common sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfrog (Post 3523312)
Exactly and then they run amok though the neighbourhood wearing coloured socks and terrorizing the citizenry.:thinking-006:

LOL. OMG Red. Keep it coming bud. I need to swing by with a bottle of forty creek sometime and shake your hand.

wildbill 04-28-2017 10:32 AM

I think I'll invent a religion so I can do whatever I want, and be exempt to following laws. This country has to stop catering to people who use use religion as an excuse not to follow the law, people pack around concealed knives, not have PAL pics, you know what, if you can't beat em' join em'. I'm going make a religion where I need to pack around a prohibited Colt Python .357 concealed with no picture ID of course, who's with me?