Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Installing iron sights. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=369184)

Bushleague 09-09-2019 02:11 PM

Installing iron sights.

Hello, I'm planning to have iron sights installed on one of my old Husky's, and was just wondering what everyone would recommend, if they know anyplace that sells what I'm looking for, and if they could recommend a good gunsmith to do the work. Not interested in putting a peep sight on this rifle, and I've never been a fan of flip down rear sights. I just want a nice set of open sights.

I have a set of Remington irons, which I like, but the front sight is one piece (bead is not dovetailed in) and the rear sight has somewhat limited windage adjustment. I'm worried that unless the smith is right on the money I might not be able to get the sights zeroed.

The rifle the sights are going on once had irons, the front must have been soldered on as there are no screw holes, and the rear sight sat in a dovetail (3/8 ish I think?) that now has a blank installed. So another possibility would be to find a rear sight to fit the dovetail and have the front drilled to accept a sight ramp. Marbles seems to have plenty of options in this regard.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

catnthehat 09-09-2019 02:45 PM

Yvan at High River Gunworxs can do it as can Bob at Custom Gunworks I am sure, or David at D. Henry Gunsmithing.
All are very competent:)
Cat

buckbrushoutdoors 09-09-2019 03:05 PM

check out NECG sights. (new England custom gun) they ship to canada

Bushleague 09-09-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 4024511)
Yvan at High River Gunworxs can do it as can Bob at Custom Gunworks I am sure, or David at D. Henry Gunsmithing.
All are very competent:)
Cat

Thanks! What type of irons would you reccomend putting on such a rifle?

catnthehat 09-09-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushleague (Post 4024529)
Thanks! What type of irons would you reccomend putting on such a rifle?

Well, I am a receiver/peep sight lover but my Ruger has an excellent set of NECG open express sights on it.:)
They sell single, two, three and four leaf express sights and also those that can be set in a dovetail.Check out their website, lots of good stuff there.
The big issue I have with the folding Williams is, well, they are always folded down when I want to use them!:budo:
Cat

Pioneer2 09-09-2019 06:42 PM

how about

I have a buddy with a real Husqvarna rear sight maybe he would sell it?

Bushleague 09-09-2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioneer2 (Post 4024639)
I have a buddy with a real Husqvarna rear sight maybe he would sell it?

I would be interested, so long as its not a flip down or a semi buckhorn.

Pioneer2 09-09-2019 07:02 PM

I'm sure it's a flat top

I'll get back to you when he takes a look at it.

Bushleague 09-09-2019 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 4024564)
Well, I am a receiver/peep sight lover but my Ruger has an excellent set of NECG open express sights on it.:)
They sell single, two, three and four leaf express sights and also those that can be set in a dovetail.Check out their website, lots of good stuff there.
The big issue I have with the folding Williams is, well, they are always folded down when I want to use them!:budo:
Cat

Is there still a receiver sight on the market that will work on a Husqvarna 1600?

catnthehat 09-09-2019 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushleague (Post 4024666)
Is there still a receiver sight on the market that will work on a Husqvarna 1600?

Not sure of your dovetail width, but I'm sure they have different widths, and this one is a fixed open sight:)
https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/....php?prod=7837
Cat

petew 09-10-2019 02:57 AM

Trackofthewolf.com has sights too.