Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Upland Hunting Calgary (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=362891)

TheBigShooter 04-25-2019 08:41 AM

Upland Hunting Calgary

Hi All

Looking for a place to go upland hunting this fall and I know that no one is going to tell me where the honey holes are and that's totally fine. I've been looking at the Beiseker - Crossfield area, does anyone have experience with partridge and grouse hunting in these areas?

Am I better off going more west into the mountains or more south towards Lethbridge?

My experience in upland hunting is from Sask where we just walk up and down hedgerows in fields.

Thanks in Advance

Big Shooter

robson3954 04-25-2019 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigShooter (Post 3967744)
Hi All

Looking for a place to go upland hunting this fall and I know that no one is going to tell me where the honey holes are and that's totally fine. I've been looking at the Beiseker - Crossfield area, does anyone have experience with partridge and grouse hunting in these areas?

Am I better off going more west into the mountains or more south towards Lethbridge?

My experience in upland hunting is from Sask where we just walk up and down hedgerows in fields.

Thanks in Advance

Big Shooter

You’ll find more huns than grouse in those areas but walking hedgerows is a start. A dog helps. Let me know if you find healthy coveys of Huns and I might meet you with my dog.

TheBigShooter 04-25-2019 08:28 PM

Re: Upland Hunting Calgary

Thanks, I have driven past that are many times on my way back to Calgary and it looks like a good place for some upland hunting - I'll update you when the time comes.

Puma 04-25-2019 08:28 PM

Grouse

Head into the forest reserves SW of Calgary.

dfrobert 04-25-2019 10:33 PM

Look for the good thick grassy cover around the barley and canola crops you should find Huns. The best cover will be where the tractors and combines have never been able to cultivate. Have had luck with Huns outside of Strathmore

Deemoss 04-26-2019 05:01 PM

I've personally had luck with huns and sharptails in farmland, but grouse (ruffed and spruce) in the woods, so a drive west of where you are. I do hunt with a dog

nafiul15 04-26-2019 09:10 PM

Need dog

Train your dog and make sure it goes around the grass not just walk past

Versatile 04-27-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nafiul15 (Post 3968414)
Train your dog and make sure it goes around the grass not just walk past

A dog should be able to run a down wind edge and smell game in grass. If not send him back. If he walks while hunting and not running, send him back.

Versatile 04-27-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigShooter (Post 3967744)
Hi All

Thanks in Advance

Big Shooter

I am in Lethbridge and you can come here if you like but last fall was one of the worst years for bird populations in a long time. Bird counts are down atleast 60% across the board. If your thinking of making a trip I would save your money for a couple years to let numbers come back up then make a week out of it.