Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Stream Crossing Waders (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=382221)

Pynchie 05-27-2020 11:27 AM

Stream Crossing Waders

Good day everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions of what folks are using for crossing a stream about knee-deep with water around 2-10°C. We went down to 402 last year early in the season for day trips for mostly scouting missions and with the early September snowfall & melt the streams were fairly deep.

We figured there'd have to be something like a hip or thigh-high packable wader to quickly slip on/off over boots. With the potential for quite a few crossings, I want something that is easy on/off, but without having to walk around in the climbing temps of late Sept afternoons; or something that is comfortable without the usual fishing wader 'swish-swish' when walking.

I've looked at most of the major and minor equipment stores in Southern Alberta and Northern Montana and have not had much luck.

Entertaining all thoughts and suggestions.

Rackmastr 05-27-2020 11:40 AM

Wiggy's waders work good for quick stream crossings while hunting.

wildwoods 05-27-2020 12:21 PM

Crocs on the feet and strip down to the skivvies (if necessary)or roll up the pants. That is how we do the deeper ones. waders= too much weight and time to mess around with. Easy on/off + waterproofing is a tall order

coxy95 05-27-2020 12:36 PM

X2 on the wiggy's, quicker than taking your boots off and on if you have a lot of crossings and only 10 oz.

Grizzly Adams 05-27-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildwoods (Post 4177120)
Crocs on the feet and strip down to the skivvies (if necessary)or roll up the pants. That is how we do the deeper ones. waders= too much weight and time to mess around with. Easy on/off + waterproofing is a tall order

Waders full of water, get swept off your feet and it could be curtains time very easily. I learned to carry an old pair of runner.

Grizz

Pynchie 05-27-2020 01:42 PM

Thanks for the replies.

wildwoods and Grizzly, that was the backup plan going in with a light pair of shoes and nothing else. 1-2 crossings? Sure, but that cold runoff really eats at you after that.

Rackmastr and coxy95, thanks for the suggestion. I looked them up & for under $100 as well, great suggestion!

Thanks, folks!

robson3954 05-27-2020 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 4177142)
Waders full of water, get swept off your feet and it could be curtains time very easily. I learned to carry an old pair of runner.

Grizz

That’s an old wives tale. If it were true, fly fishermen would be dying by the thousands. Waders full of water weigh the same as your legs when you’re in the water. Now, you gotta do some work to get the water out before you stand up. I may have some experience.... lol:thinking-006:

Manning74 05-27-2020 06:21 PM

Wiggys waders are the best solution in my experiences.

Dubious 05-27-2020 06:26 PM

Crocks and Them pasty white legs. when the water is that cold pee before you go in... you’ll be ready for a victory pee once you hit the other side to.

Engels 05-28-2020 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildwoods (Post 4177120)

X2 on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk