Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   An Odd Request...Does anyone read handwritten Polish? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=329544)

Red Bullets 09-18-2017 12:52 AM

An Odd Request...Does anyone read handwritten Polish?

Wondering if any of our members can read handwritten polish? It might be russian too. The reason for my request is I have to old pictures with writing on the back of them. They have importance to my family tree.

If you do read either of these languages maybe I could PM you a picture of the writing.

I unfortunately don't read either language. I thought the AO forums might have a translator resource. Couldn't find a translator online that would work with the pictures.

Thanks

Red Bullets

super mario 09-18-2017 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 3624203)
Wondering if any of our members can read handwritten polish? It might be russian too. The reason for my request is I have to old pictures with writing on the back of them. They have importance to my family tree.

If you do read either of these languages maybe I could PM you a picture of the writing.

I unfortunately don't read either language. I thought the AO forums might have a translator resource. Couldn't find a translator online that would work with the pictures.

Thanks

Red Bullets

sand the pict thx

Red Bullets 09-18-2017 12:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Wasn't sure how to post a pic in a PM so I will just post them here and hopefully someone is able to PM me the translations. Thanks for the responses.

HoytCRX32 09-18-2017 12:16 PM

Seeing the "i" in the writing I know it is not Russian...the Russian alphabet does not have an "i"....could be Polish...they are quite similar so someone who could read either one should be able to translate...I lost my Russian reading ability year's ago.

shooter12 09-18-2017 12:18 PM

That would be Ukrainian language

HoytCRX32 09-18-2017 12:20 PM

I did make out "Photographs" on the top of the second picture

Roderek 09-18-2017 12:55 PM

You could try typing it into google translate.

KGB 09-18-2017 04:35 PM

That isn't Russian or polish, that looks ukranian to me.

colour86 09-18-2017 04:42 PM

on a smartphone google translate lets you hover the camera over the image and it tries to translate it right on the phone screen. give give that a try. probably wont work with hand written stuff but worth a shot.

jednastka 09-18-2017 04:43 PM

Russian and Ukrainian are both written in the Cyrillic alphabet, an eastern alphabet that has no similarity to our own. This writing is not in Cyrillic, therefore it is neither Russian nor Ukrainian. I recognize a few words that may be Polish, but my reading of Polish is limited to typed text. I could not read either of my parents' Polish writing.

Vic

ak-71 09-18-2017 04:47 PM

I agree with KGB. With the exception of a single letter "i", all other letters are proper handwritten Cyrillic, maybe "K" is written as a Latin version too, hard to see .
Looks like Ukrainian to me, at least few words I can make out, like "Просимо", name "Иванку" sounds Ukrainian as well.

Or some other Slavic language, but not Russian

russ 09-18-2017 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 3624409)
Wasn't sure how to post a pic in a PM so I will just post them here and hopefully someone is able to PM me the translations. Thanks for the responses.

Possibly one of the Balkans states? Any former CF members here recognize the script?

Skoaltender 09-18-2017 04:53 PM

Slovakian

3blade 09-18-2017 08:03 PM

Sent to a friend who's fluent in polish and Slovak, and knows something of most Slavic languages. I'll let you know either in a post or pm.

KGB 09-18-2017 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jednastka (Post 3624608)
Russian and Ukrainian are both written in the Cyrillic alphabet, an eastern alphabet that has no similarity to our own. This writing is not in Cyrillic, therefore it is neither Russian nor Ukrainian. I recognize a few words that may be Polish, but my reading of Polish is limited to typed text. I could not read either of my parents' Polish writing.

Vic

I will bet you $50 just for the heck of it that it is written in a perfect Cyrillic alphabet. I'm sure that AK -71 will throw in another $50! :sHa_shakeshout:
We will then go and have a few shots of vodka - and you are invited!

CMichaud 09-18-2017 09:37 PM

What about serbo-croat

andyzolik 09-18-2017 09:41 PM

Its not in Slovak for sure. We use latin alphabet.

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk

CMichaud 09-18-2017 10:10 PM

It seems that the letter m has a line above it in several od the words. I believe these are called a macron

Is this wtitten in Kurrent?

Kurrent is an old form of German-language handwriting based on late medieval cursive writing, also known as Kurrentschrift, Alte Deutsche Schrift ("old German script") and German cursive. Over the history of its use into the first part of the 20th century, many individual letters acquired variant forms.
Wiki link here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurrent

ak-71 09-18-2017 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KGB (Post 3624817)
I will bet you $50 just for the heck of it that it is written in a perfect Cyrillic alphabet. I'm sure that AK -71 will throw in another $50! :sHa_shakeshout:
We will then go and have a few shots of vodka - and you are invited!

That would be highly unethical of me, but free 50$ and vodka... :thinking-006:

Ukrainian is the only language using "i" along with Cyrillic alphabet that I can think of.

ak77 09-18-2017 10:16 PM

my vote is for ukrainian as well. polish is using latin alphabet, this is cyrillic.
btw "i" that is "not russian" as someone mentioned - all depends on the date of the writing. for a while cyrillic had both "i" and "и".

to the OP - sorry while i can understand spoken ukrainian and even can read some, i'm not 100 fluent, and with the quality of the photos i can't be much help

ak-71, belarussian language also using "i". probably some eastern slavik languages as well. maybe bulgarian...

ak-71 09-18-2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ak77 (Post 3624856)
my vote is for ukrainian as well. polish is using latin alphabet, this is cyrillic.
btw "i" that is "not russian" as someone mentioned - all depends on the date of the writing. for a while cyrillic had both "i" and "и".

to the OP - sorry while i can understand spoken ukrainian and even can read some, i'm not 100 fluent, and with the quality of the photos i can't be much help

I think Ukrainian still use "i". Older Russian alphabet used another funny letter absent in this text.

CMichaud 09-18-2017 10:25 PM

Ok this is fun...

In Russian cursive, as well as in some others based on the Cyrillic script (for example, Bulgarian), a lowercase Т looks like a lowercase m, and a macron is often used to distinguish it from Ш, which looks like a lowercase w (see Т). Some writers also underline the letter ш to reduce ambiguity further.

ak-71 09-18-2017 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ak77 (Post 3624856)

ak-71, belarussian language also using "i". probably some eastern slavik languages as well. maybe bulgarian...

You are right about Belarussian, Bulgarian doesn't use "i", I just looked it up.

ak77 09-18-2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ak-71 (Post 3624866)
You are right about Belarussian, Bulgarian doesn't use "i", I just looked it up.

lol, i'm from belarus, i should know :)

ukrainian actually using both "i" and "и" and they even sound differently.

OP, the first letter is actually more legible. seems like regular correspondence between friends or family members.
"Comrade Ivan(ko), i hope this letter finds you and your family in good health..." kind of deal.

ak-71 09-18-2017 10:35 PM

Such an innocent post, yet it uncovered most of FSB agents stationed in Alberta :angry3:

ak77 09-18-2017 11:06 PM

doh, i think those agents are losing qualifications if they fall for something so simple and innocent.

lol

KGB 09-18-2017 11:39 PM

Ok we will take AK77 into the vodka party:sHa_shakeshout:. He is one of us....
But only one condition: he is bringing the caviar....

Red Bullets 09-19-2017 12:33 AM

Thanks for the dialogue folks. I thought it might be written in ukrainian so I will see if a ukrainian minister I know can read the notes.

Interesting how two 100+ year old handwritten messages of unknown family origin bring together a brothership of vodka and caviar in the new millennium.
Can I come? I will bring the borscht for borscht/vodka shooters and sauerkraut perogies.

trophybook 09-19-2017 06:22 AM

Dai Bozhe

KGB 09-19-2017 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 3624904)
Thanks for the dialogue folks. I thought it might be written in ukrainian so I will see if a ukrainian minister I know can read the notes.

Interesting how two 100+ year old handwritten messages of unknown family origin bring together a brothership of vodka and caviar in the new millennium.
Can I come? I will bring the borscht for borscht/vodka shooters and sauerkraut perogies.

Well let's see: I'm in Edmonton and AK-71 is in Calgary, we don't know where AK77 is.... yeah I think we can meet at your place in central Alberta. I do like borscht a lot!! It's all depends on how RED are your bullets, LOL!!:sHa_shakeshout: