Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Antelope backstrap question (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=346919)

osterous 06-23-2018 03:36 PM

Antelope backstrap question

I have just ground up a pound of antelope backstrap. The meat is mushy, squeeze it and it looses all texture. No bad smell. Never had that experience with venison. I understand that this was an old buck.
Is this normal? Is the meat still ok to consume?
Thanks
Roger

Mikeham 06-23-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osterous (Post 3802690)
I have just ground up a pound of antelope backstrap. The meat is mushy, squeeze it and it looses all texture. No bad smell. Never had that experience with venison. I understand that this was an old buck.
Is this normal? Is the meat still ok to consume?
Thanks
Roger

If it smells fine, cook it. But the real question is: why are you grinding backstrap?

Piker 06-23-2018 04:08 PM

Antelope backstrap

Antelope meat has a very fine texture that is why it is mushy. I never ground antelope when I hunted them years ago. I made jerky out of all the scraps left over alth there was never very much.

osterous 06-23-2018 04:55 PM

antelope backstrap

Thanks for the info
Roger

timbertom 06-23-2018 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piker (Post 3802696)
Antelope meat has a very fine texture that is why it is mushy. I never ground antelope when I hunted them years ago. I made jerky out of all the scraps left over alth there was never very much.

x2.....should be good to eat...texture pretty much like spam only taste way better.

dustinjoels 06-23-2018 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeham (Post 3802693)
If it smells fine, cook it. But the real question is: why are you grinding backstrap?

x2 why would you grind up a back strap? Throw some salt on and/or maybe some steak spice and throw it on the grill

sns2 06-23-2018 07:51 PM

What a crime. Shame really.

DiabeticKripple 06-23-2018 08:10 PM

you should be locked up for what you did

Pathfinder76 06-23-2018 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sns2 (Post 3802770)
What a crime. Shame really.

Agreed!

bowhunter9841 06-23-2018 09:56 PM

Two years ago, my brother in law shot a young whitetail buck. He brought it to the butcher, and ground up the whole deer, except for a bit of jerky he had made. I was so disappointed. Told him that next time he could trade me for some ground meat, and I’ll eat the tenderloins and backstraps.

Red Bullets 06-23-2018 11:06 PM

Might as well put the ground backstraps into the blender now, add some liquid smoke and 190 proof whiskey. Meat shots. :oregonian_winesmile

If your ground antelope is too mushy you may have to add some coarse ground beef or pork. Crushed crackers mixed in might add some texture if you are making burgers or meatloaf. Or cook the ground and make a pasta sauce with it.

calgarychef 06-24-2018 12:18 AM

Grinding back straps.....when it's bbq season?

sns2 06-24-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 3802824)
Might as well put the ground backstraps into the blender now, add some liquid smoke and 190 proof whiskey. Meat shots. :oregonian_winesmile

If your ground antelope is too mushy you may have to add some coarse ground beef or pork. Crushed crackers mixed in might add some texture if you are making burgers or meatloaf. Or cook the ground and make a pasta sauce with it.

Literally, I almost spewed coffee out of my mouth. Classic!

Mhunter51 06-24-2018 10:09 AM

Were the backstraps partially frozen yet when you ground them ? If they had ice crystals still in them and you ground it they will certainly end up mushy with no texure. Thaw them completely before grinding.

-JR- 06-24-2018 02:54 PM

If he wants to grind up his Antelope ,nothing is wrong with thats guys,back straps or fronts.

The trick with Antelope is ,you must skin it as soon as it is down,or with in 1 hour.
Leaving any wild game hides on for long time will retain unwanted taste in the meat. I find Antelope to be the worst.

Springer 06-25-2018 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -JR- (Post 3802996)
If he wants to grind up his Antelope ,nothing is wrong with thats guys,back straps or fronts.

The trick with Antelope is ,you must skin it as soon as it is down,or with in 1 hour.
Leaving any wild game hides on for long time will retain unwanted taste in the meat. I find Antelope to be the worst.

I totally agree 100% with this. I carry a Big white costco cooler filled with frozen milk jugs for when we kill an Antelope. High fives, followed by pics then get that hide off and quarters into the cooler and leave it closed for a week then open and butcher. It will be cold to the bone and the finest wild game meat there is in my opinion.

vcmm 06-25-2018 09:06 AM

If it doesn't smell it should be fine. The muscle fibres are smaller and more delicate. That's probably why you have that texture. For some it's a shame for others it's not. To each his own.