Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Worst Meat you've ever eaten (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=50258)

sheephunter 01-17-2010 07:50 PM

Worst Meat you've ever eaten

In the same vein as the best meat thread and Pat's experience with Javelina, what your least favourite meat?

For me, javeilina, llama, camel, late October caribou and late November bighorn.

I don't think you could talk me into eating any of them again....:sick:

In the surprisingly good category are lynx, beaver, swan, porcupine, caribou head and zebra.

IR_mike 01-17-2010 08:00 PM

Yes I had the privelage years ago to try late season bighorn...your right it was the worst meat I have ever eaten hands down.

IIRC the dog would not eat the uneaten portion of the steak I BBQD or the raw one.

Dont blame him, there is no odour or taste quite like it.

Rutted up white tail is better by a factor of 10.

jrs 01-17-2010 08:05 PM

Friend shot a cougar a few years back, that was pretty awful meat. Was like eating sandy beef marinated in pike slime. I hear it's not always that bad but i will never forgot the gritty odd flavor it had. Wasn't unlike llama meat in some ways, but the flavor was worse. That and coot, had to eat one my first year duck hunting. I see why they're so plentiful.

whitetail Junkie 01-17-2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrs (Post 484439)
That and coot, had to eat one my first year duck hunting. I see why they're so plentiful.

:lol::lol::lol: Coot, I have been tempted to shoot one and eat it but not now.

180+ 01-17-2010 08:09 PM

I shot a 400 pound wild b:wave:oar north of sangudo in november!! might as well cooked up my ball glove tough stuff the 200 pound pigs are pretty good tho!! any body got some recipes for wild boar these are the free range ones running wild out by mayerthorpe!!

Rigby 01-17-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IR_mike (Post 484431)
Yes I had the privelage years ago to try late season bighorn...your right it was the worst meat I have ever eaten hands down.

IIRC the dog would not eat the uneaten portion of the steak I BBQD or the raw one.

Dont blame him, there is no odour or taste quite like it.

Rutted up white tail is better by a factor of 10.

I also harvested a bighorn in november in cadomin in 2006 and the meat actually tasted what i imagine the rock on that mountain tastes like. And the smell was no better.

AxeMan 01-17-2010 08:47 PM

For me:

Muskox, it was the worst, it actually tasted musky.

Ruff grouse that had been eating a diet of high bush cranberries. Only happened only once though.

Heavily rutted up big whitetail bucks, they mostly all go into sausage now.

sheephunter 01-17-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AxeMan (Post 484490)
For me:

Muskox, it was the worst, it actually tasted musky.

No kidding. Mine was absolutely phenominal. I actually paid extra to fly some home. I wonder if it had to do with time of year? There's actually quite a thriving commercial business in musk ox meat.

AxeMan 01-17-2010 08:57 PM

Sheep, I don't know the full details on the Muskox I tried. A buddy just gave me some hamburger from one when he was up north. Maybe it was just a bad one or a bad cut ground up. I have heard many others say it is good as well.

Ken07AOVette 01-17-2010 08:58 PM

roasted snow goose about 25 years ago. Mom cut it up chicken style, put it in the oven and cooked it.

We all got most of a mouthful down or at least in, and that was the end of it. I have to admit it was the most economical meal ever, 1 bite and you were full.

bruceba 01-17-2010 09:17 PM

over the years I've had my share of some gawd awful tasteing meat but a big X 2 on the llama. The rubber smell that floats around at the drag races after a burn out smells about how that llama tasted.

hunternuts 01-17-2010 09:21 PM

Bull caribou late in the rut, without a doubt!

whitetailhntr 01-17-2010 10:04 PM

not a fan of bighorn in general...taste like barnyards smell:tongue2:

whitetailnut 01-17-2010 10:10 PM

Definately spruce hen's. Taste like a spruce tree branch.

sheephunter 01-17-2010 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitetailnut (Post 484574)

Okay, you have to try this. Soak the breasts in salt water for a full 24 hours. Then cut into bite-sized pieces. Dredge pieces in egg/milk and coat in Shake and Bake. Slow fry in butter until outside is brown and cripy and enjoy. I'll guarantee you'll change your thoughts on the lowly spruce hen. Works great for ptarmigan as well.

ishootbambi 01-17-2010 10:17 PM

antelope far and away. tastes like a sagebush marinated in urine. cant even hide that crap in sausage its so gross.

Rocks 01-17-2010 11:10 PM

Goose.

Matt L. 01-17-2010 11:30 PM

Sheep, I've had camel balls and they were actually pretty good. Also I've found cougar to be pretty good. One meat I've heard of, though haven't actually tried it, that is bad is walrus. Local F&G had it for the banquet one year and I guess it was rather intersting.

180+, get ahold of Earl or Debbie Hagman for recipes and how to cook wild boar. They've spent quite a while researching how to cook them. hogwild.ab.ca

Rockymtnx 01-17-2010 11:43 PM

A Mulie buck I shot in the middle of the rut in 2005.
I stunk and you could not eat it. I even tried making jerky with it an that was a no-go.

sheephunter 01-17-2010 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt L. (Post 484622)
Sheep, I've had camel balls and they were actually pretty good. Also I've found cougar to be pretty good. One meat I've heard of, though haven't actually tried it, that is bad is walrus. Local F&G had it for the banquet one year and I guess it was rather intersting.

I've eaten a lot of bighorn and Stone sheep nuts and domestic calf nuts but you're definitely one up on me with the camel nuts. There has to be a story there.....

Walrus is definitely on my bucket list of things to hunt. I understand they bury it for several months and then dig it up and eat it. It doesn't sound overly appitizing.

Matt L. 01-17-2010 11:59 PM

Oh, did I say balls? I meant meatballs:evilgrin: As for the walrus, I guess it was the oiliest shyte you ever did see.

sheephunter 01-18-2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt L. (Post 484639)
Oh, did I say balls? I meant meatballs:evilgrin: As for the walrus, I guess it was the oiliest shyte you ever did see.

Whew!:D

pottymouth 01-18-2010 12:14 AM

Black bear, never again:sick: and I don't care who the chef is:sick:

sheephunter 01-18-2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pottymouth (Post 484654)
Black bear, never again:sick: and I don't care who the chef is:sick:

V made some jerky this year out of her bear that I bet would change your mind.....I have to admit that I was skeptical as well.

IR_mike 01-18-2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt L. (Post 484639)

I walked into a freinds place one day and after a few minutes I asked him if he was in the habit of burning oily fish with a handheld propane torch as there was this oily fishy smell pervading his house which he had bought 2 years prior.

He replied no but to first get going he had lived in the basement and rented the top floor to a maritimer family who were awesome tenants with one exception wich was that they had a care package of seal meat sent to them and had fried up on the stove..................8 months previous.:sick:

Plummerbutt 01-18-2010 02:51 AM

My 2008 Whitey was the worst eating thing I've ever tried getting down. He was 11 1/2 year old big bush buck. Tried it twice and then gave it all away. It tasted like sweaty wool sock marinated in skunk puke! Smelled just like he tasted.

MountainTi 01-18-2010 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitetailnut (Post 484574)

Squirrel tastes identical, might as well just put bbq sauce on a pinecone :lol:

209x50 01-18-2010 06:41 AM

November bighorn, Wild boar (armpit pork), black bear. Austarlian Possum (NZ), guinea pig Ecuador - just like a greasy lump of snot!

packhuntr 01-18-2010 06:59 AM

How could one leave out those good eatin slammer old ruttin mules.... Mmmm-mmm.:lol:

bullgetter 01-18-2010 07:07 AM

I hate sheep meat, domestic or wild. Antelope is 2nd worst IMO.