Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sausage Thread (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=355271)

HunterDave 11-28-2018 10:44 PM

Sausage Thread

Looking for ideas for different types of sausage to get made. After years of the old reliable Garlic coil and pepperoni, I’d like to step out of my comfort zone. I make my own jerky and I know that you can’t go wrong with smokies, but what are other good options out there? Has anyone tried the Mergues or Nürnberger at Victoria Meats?

kingrat 11-29-2018 06:26 AM

American garlic from jb sausage...... enough said. By far one of the best sausage I've ever made. Everyone that has tried or made it loves it. Not sure if they have any stores in alberta, check out their website all their spices are good and they ship.

Beeman3 11-29-2018 07:17 AM

I just made a few varieties of sausage. Got my spices from LEM and Walton's Inc. in the U.S. Made breakfast, Cajun, Hot and sweet Italian, and Bratwurst, all from LEM. All were excellent. Next up is Texas hot links, the seasoning is from Walton's. The pepperoni seasoning from Walton's is the best I have ever had. Looking forward to trying the roasted garlic and onion hamburger seasoning this weekend when processing a elk.

Camdec 11-29-2018 07:39 AM

This is my favorite. With high temp cheese added.

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/be...icy6716s-group

Northwinds 11-29-2018 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camdec (Post 3881472)
This is my favorite. With high temp cheese added.

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/be...icy6716s-group

when using this seasoning,use apple juice instead of water,the apple flavour becomes stronger

Sawridge 11-29-2018 08:17 AM

For making sausages, what kind/model of smoker would you guys recommend? I'm looking to get a smoker but cant decide on which one would be the best for sausages.

ghostguy6 11-29-2018 08:22 AM

Honey garlic, kielbasa, sweet Italian, summer sausage, bratwursts, apple and maple breakfast sausages but the list is endless. I made all the ones listed this year but so far my favorite is the fresh kielbasa stuffed into a 32mil casing, lightly smoked with a hickory/oak blend then bbq'ed to a crisp skin.

Husty 11-29-2018 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawridge (Post 3881499)
For making sausages, what kind/model of smoker would you guys recommend? I'm looking to get a smoker but cant decide on which one would be the best for sausages.

How much sausage you making? If you want to do it in one batch you can get an old steel fridge, cut a hole in the bottom and top, get a gas stove and burn your woodchips. We used to do it this way until we made a walk in smoke house. Its very convenient being able to do as little smoking as possible as it can add up a lot of time.

silver 11-29-2018 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawridge (Post 3881499)

I am using a Masterbuilt, it is digital, it will make temperature at -30, you can use any chips, and the price isn't bad.

fishinisgood 11-29-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver (Post 3881539)
I am using a Masterbuilt, it is digital, it will make temperature at -30, you can use any chips, and the price isn't bad.

X2

gtr 11-29-2018 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostguy6 (Post 3881503)
Honey garlic, kielbasa, sweet Italian, summer sausage, bratwursts, apple and maple breakfast sausages but the list is endless. I made all the ones listed this year but so far my favorite is the fresh kielbasa stuffed into a 32mil casing, lightly smoked with a hickory/oak blend then bbq'ed to a crisp skin.

Crap, that last one sounds good!

Red Bullets 11-30-2018 12:05 AM

This website has several sausage recipes. Each category has a few recipes.

http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/

Mike_W 11-30-2018 10:57 AM

I have always enjoyed a landjaeger which is traditionally a mixture of pork and beef cured and cold smoked.
I have had hot smoked version in collagen peperoni casing which just uses a different cure and less salt really and is a great snack stick that is different.

Diesel_wiesel 11-30-2018 11:02 AM

www.sausagemaker.com
has some good spices and recipes as well

FinnDawg 11-30-2018 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostguy6 (Post 3881503)

What honey garlic recipe did you use? My wife really enjoys honey garlic and I would love to make some for her and the landowner that allows me to hunt their land.

elkhunter11 11-30-2018 12:07 PM

My favorite by far are the jalapeno and cheese smokies from Victoria Fancy Meats. I had 80lbs made last year, and am down to my last 5lbs or so.

ghostguy6 11-30-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinnDawg (Post 3882448)
What honey garlic recipe did you use? My wife really enjoys honey garlic and I would love to make some for her and the landowner that allows me to hunt their land.

I get the mix from Halfords. I just add a little more powdered honey and a teaspoon of my secret dry rub for a little added kick. On its own the Halfords mix is perfectly fine. I just like a little more sweet heat.

AndrewM 11-30-2018 02:06 PM

Hoping to try this Jalapeno Cheese Smokie recipe soon:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...lapeno-Smokies

nube 11-30-2018 05:00 PM

Just finished 90 lbs of it today after2 long days. 4 flavors and got the packages from Halfords. It's pretty fun figuring it out. Just ate some and it is awesome. I mainly just make it and freeze it but I did do 20 lbs to smoke as well.

chola 11-30-2018 08:51 PM

http://www.stuffers.com/Recipes-s/2075.htm

FinnDawg 11-30-2018 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostguy6 (Post 3882519)
I get the mix from Halfords. I just add a little more powdered honey and a teaspoon of my secret dry rub for a little added kick. On its own the Halfords mix is perfectly fine. I just like a little more sweet heat.

I'll check it out, thank you.

Does anyone here use a traeger to smoke their sausages/smokies?

HunterDave 12-01-2018 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_W (Post 3882388)
I have always enjoyed a landjaeger which is traditionally a mixture of pork and beef cured and cold smoked.
I have had hot smoked version in collagen peperoni casing which just uses a different cure and less salt really and is a great snack stick that is different.

I’ve had the landjaeger made at SandyView Farms and it is outstanding. The problem with them is that it takes up to two months to get your meat back. If it was the first week of hunting i’d Consider getting it again but at the end of the season there are way too many people ahead of me and it’d be February before I saw it.

chola 12-01-2018 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinnDawg (Post 3882906)
I'll check it out, thank you.

Does anyone here use a traeger to smoke their sausages/smokies?

I have a junior elite and it’s all I use the last 4 years

AndrewM 12-06-2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewM (Post 3882551)
Hoping to try this Jalapeno Cheese Smokie recipe soon:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...lapeno-Smokies

I made this and it turned out awesome. I used old cheddar from Costco. 17.50 for just over 2kg on sale. I would add some more jalepenos if you want a bit more heat. My kids eat it with no complaints of heat.

gatesniffer 12-07-2018 08:19 AM

Wedliny domowe. Enter this in google and find the english version.

7600shooter 12-07-2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingrat (Post 3881436)
American garlic from jb sausage...... enough said. By far one of the best sausage I've ever made. Everyone that has tried or made it loves it. Not sure if they have any stores in alberta, check out their website all their spices are good and they ship.

I am with you ,as is everybody that I know that has tried it,best pre mixed stuff I have tried.

omega50 12-07-2018 02:50 PM

JB has good nitrosamine avoidance practices that marginally impact flavour profiles

FinnDawg 12-07-2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omega50 (Post 3887730)
JB has good nitrosamine avoidance practices that marginally impact flavour profiles

What does this mean lol

omega50 12-07-2018 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinnDawg (Post 3887897)
What does this mean lol

Nitrosamines are carcinogens that could increase cancer risk. Typically formed when nitrates and nitrites are overheated/burnt as would happen in burning bacon in a skillet.

However, nitrosamines can also form when raw cure and certain spices are premixed and allowed to sit over time.

So to be safe, cure used to packaged separately from the premix to prevent premature nitrosamine development.
However, conceptually if you exclude the reactive spices from the premix,you can limit their formation even with cure present in the premix.

It is becoming a more common practice recently.
However this leaves open the very real spectre of missing flavours/colours that one might be used to seeing and tasting.And cure tends to settle out and down to the bottom of your premix.

Sausage 101:)

farmer23 12-07-2018 08:04 PM

I have found this website (thespicysausage.com) has some really good recipes to make from scratch. The currywurst and bratwurst are a couple of the best one's but there are lots of others in there. Those 2 recipes are under the pork listing but I use 1/3 deer or moose to 2/3 pork. I was surprised how much the kids liked the currywurst, I made 15 lbs and they only lasted 3 weeks!