Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pain Management (People & Pets) (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=318287)

BackPackHunter 03-28-2017 11:00 AM

Pain Management (People & Pets)

1 Attachment(s)
So at the end of last summer I see my Sammy start slowing down. I can see she is stiff and sore waking up, and not moving like she use too. She is a very large breed dog and their lives are so short . I only want the best for her, so I start researching, vets want her on pain pills.
I found Glucosamine. We got some from the pet store mixed with a bunch of junk for big $$$ and it helped a little. I kept researching and found it at Costco for cheap. Pure Glucosamine in a gel cap. After about 2 or 3 days I have my old Samsquench back, she's running around happy playing with her little brother .
I started giving it to him too even tho he's young and fit.

Couple months later I'm at my friends place , and I see Jack in the same shape as Sam, I told him he needs to try this stuff and if it doesn't work in a week I'll buy it off of him so he's not out anything.
2 days later I get a video of him running and playing like a young pup. He couldn't thank me enough.

Now I'm taking it , and while I do still have chronic pain , I wake up feeling a lot better then before .

Both my dogs are about 160lbs and I give them 1 pill with each meal,
(Jacks is about 80lbs and taking same amount)
I open the cap n dump out the powder n mix it in their food ,

I'm taking 2 pills a day too

calgarychef 03-28-2017 11:09 AM

Costco has a joint pain concoction that I take and it really does make a difference

silverdoctor 03-28-2017 11:24 AM

Is there any chondroitin in those gel caps? if you want to run your dogs au natural for glucosamine and chondroitin, chicken feet, trachea - any raw cartilage really. bone marrow even are naturally high. My dog loves chewing on raw chicken feet, nips the nails off and it's a good chew.

BackPackHunter 03-28-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverdoctor (Post 3504469)
Is there any chondroitin in those gel caps? if you want to run your dogs au natural for glucosamine and chondroitin, chicken feet, trachea - any raw cartilage really. bone marrow even are naturally high. My dog loves chewing on raw chicken feet, nips the nails off and it's a good chew.

I don't see it in there,
I can't give chicken anything because one is very allergic
The young one is on raw diet because of his allergys but I can get turkey necks from where I get is food, I'll give it a try next time I reload his food
Thanks for the info

silverdoctor 03-28-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackPackHunter (Post 3504475)
I don't see it in there,
I can't give chicken anything because one is very allergic
The young one is on raw diet because of his allergys but I can get turkey necks from where I get is food, I'll give it a try next time I reload his food
Thanks for the info

Just don't overload the dogs on neck, there's evidence to show that thyroxine can seep into the surrounding tissue from the thyroid - resulting in a hyperthyroid condition in the dog. Like anything, moderation :)