Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   You all kidding me (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=407800)

Don Andersen 01-23-2022 01:01 PM

You all kidding me

I couldn’t believe it either but here goes.

The Buck for Wildlife first on stream project is now over 50 years old on Stauffer Creek.
And the cows are still going through the north fence which is in a sorry state of repair.
Anybody know how to rectify the issue?
Seems like after 50 years, somebody competent might show up.
Back to guide fees>

Don

Larry.S 01-23-2022 02:48 PM

Find out who owns the land, offer to repair it pro bono, get some wire from UFA, organize a fencing party this spring using this forum? I’d gladly pitch in and come out for a day.

Don Andersen 01-24-2022 08:36 AM

There are laws that should be used to keep the cows outta the creek.
Why should I or any one else pay to keep the cows home?
And why is this occurring after 50 years?
One might think that the agencies and land owners would have sorted it out by now.

Don

Smoky buck 01-24-2022 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Andersen (Post 4475504)
There are laws that should be used to keep the cows outta the creek.
Why should I or any one else pay to keep the cows home?
And why is this occurring after 50 years?
One might think that the agencies and land owners would have sorted it out by now.

Don

The man gave you a very solid option to address the issue and it actually accomplishes solving the problem

flyrodfisher 01-24-2022 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4475509)
The man gave you a very solid option to address the issue and it actually accomplishes solving the problem

Such a sad response....

You obviously don't know Don and his history with this stream...and his 50 year history of fishery conservation efforts....

Order of the Bighorn

lannie 01-24-2022 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4475509)

In this case your mistaken....

This is the fly fishing section of AO. When a problem is brought up here its not because anyone is looking for a solution....

Smoky buck 01-24-2022 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyrodfisher (Post 4475923)
Such a sad response....

You obviously don't know Don and his history with this stream...and his 50 year history of fishery conservation efforts....

Order of the Bighorn

Regardless he was offered a solution

58thecat 01-24-2022 07:50 PM

Why are the fly fishing threads getting so heated lately....ohhh I know ya can’t toss flies on hard water and get results:)

Larry.S 01-24-2022 08:27 PM

I should have articulated my idea better. I made that proposal because it was Don. The ability of someone with the know how, connections, and leadership to organize something like that would far surpass most others (I’d be willing to bet if I made a plan and posted it on here there would be me and a few muskrats).

Not trying to stir the pot and I get your point as well as Don’s about how existing regulations should be sufficient. Sadly that is not the case for many of our streams. My only other recommendation is for everyone to give a few bucks to TU every year (absolves my conscience if nothing else).

Don Andersen 01-31-2022 08:19 AM

If the solution was only so simple.

Frankly after thousands of hours of volunteering plus a pile of personal $’s, how about some of you lead a parade to fix what’s wrong?
Taint hard, been doing that for 50 years.

The point is - this creek has been presented in song and fable of how to care for streams with the first project over 50 years old and the damn cows are still in the creek.
Are we so damn dumb we can’t fix things after 50 years,

Humans are a pathetic bunch,

With that, I’m off to write another letter to ID frac water removal in smaller streams.

Don

lannie 01-31-2022 09:01 AM

The cows and brown trout were both stocked by people who thought their "project" was the most important. We need to start putting our efforts into the species that are indigenous to areas we are trying to rehabilitate.

nimrod 02-01-2022 03:51 PM

I might be able to help with rebuilding the fence, In have a auger for fence building, let me know if we can put a group together to rebuilding the fence.

Don Andersen 02-02-2022 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lannie (Post 4479678)
The cows and brown trout were both stocked by people who thought their "project" was the most important. We need to start putting our efforts into the species that are indigenous to areas we are trying to rehabilitate.

Suckers and pike?

Don

lannie 02-02-2022 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Andersen (Post 4480964)
Suckers and pike?

Don

Yes because the suckers and pike belong there.

I would also bet the cattle were there before the trout.

Kind of reminds me of people who move in to an area with a gun range then ask to have it shut down because they don't like the noise.

jungleboy 02-03-2022 10:53 AM

Let’s bring this down a notch. Thank you .

Bigwoodsman 02-03-2022 10:59 AM

I'd spend a Saturday or three assisting anyone that wants to do reparation to the site this coming spring.

BW

Larry.S 02-03-2022 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman (Post 4481818)
I'd spend a Saturday or three assisting anyone that wants to do reparation to the site this coming spring.

BW

Count me in.

smitty9 02-05-2022 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungleboy (Post 4481814)
Let’s bring this down a notch. Thank you .

Lol. Literally in the top 3 funniest things ever said in AOF, given the crap the mods allow in the general discussion. Oh gawd...I'll be laughing the rest of the weekend....

Smitty