Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Canned Bacon (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=41066)

Glockster 09-10-2009 10:42 AM

Canned Bacon

I remember 20 years ago when my Dad would always buy a couple of cans of canned bacon to take on this hunting trips, that and a couple of cans of whole canned chicken. Pretty good idea but seems its one item thats no longer available. Anybody seen this on the shelves anymore?

Denadii Cho 09-10-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glockster (Post 386200)
I remember 20 years ago when my Dad would always buy a couple of cans of canned bacon to take on this hunting trips, that and a couple of cans of whole canned chicken. Pretty good idea but seems its one item thats no longer available. Anybody seen this on the shelves anymore?

OMG!! You really do want to die early don't you? grin.

Well....I hope I'm not helping you commit suicide here... :o

http://gizmodo.com/5346206/tactical-...e-for-10-years

http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...d-Bacon/Detail

tbosch 09-10-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Every bird hunting trip we ate that and canned spam on dry bread, as well as some fresh ruffies in a pan. I haven't seen canned bacon in years either. Sure brings back great memories though.

winged1 09-10-2009 11:46 AM

Canned bacon, how yummy can that be? Give me good ol beef jerky any day.

CNP 09-10-2009 11:57 AM

Don't use bear bait when I'm not hunting bears lol................bacon grease and me sleeping on the ground........wouldn't allow me sleep peacefully.

LongDraw 09-10-2009 12:16 PM

Ahh... I remember Camp brand canned bacon! Lotsa greasy goodness in every can!

Scott N 09-10-2009 12:20 PM

I saw a picture once of a canned full chicken. It didn't look very appealing! :sick:

Sentinel9 09-10-2009 12:22 PM

If you are just looking for pre-cooked bacon, I am sure you could find some pre-cooked bacon in boxes. What scares me is that some of the bacon is not refrigerated and with due dates 3 months down the road. Not sure how good that would be.

javlin101 09-10-2009 01:43 PM

Canned bacon was not that bad but enough salt in it stop your heart right then & there. some of my Dad's fav's during hunting

- Chuckwagon Stew
- Klink, Spam, anyone of the mistery meats
- Homade Bread & Honey
- Runny eggs
- Instant Mash Potatoes
- Powdered Milk
- Cowboy Coffee

freejoe 09-10-2009 02:06 PM

You needed to have something to drink when you fried up and ate a can of that salty surprisingly delicious bacon

that stuff was always a ice fishing favorite

good luck in your search

redneck posse 09-10-2009 02:32 PM

i remember the whole canned chickens. that was my uncles favourite hunting meals with pork and beans:sick:. i also remember not eating much when it was uncles turn to cook.

double gun 09-10-2009 04:49 PM

You can still get it!(canned bacon) :) My brother found a source. It is out of the US but he ordered 3 cases (minimum for free shipping).....only problem was they shipped it UPS not USPS. Brokerage(?) fees were big. 3Lbs/can, 12 cans in a case, and of course its pre-cooked. I can find out the brand and where he ordered from if there is any interest.

600twin 09-10-2009 05:00 PM

http://www.canned-bacon.com/

http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/StoreFront Ships to Canada

MountainTi 09-10-2009 06:05 PM

Was actually thinking about the whole canned chicken the other day. Haven't had it since I was a kid hanging out in the mountains for the summer with my Dad. It was pretty good actually if memory serves me correctly.

moosemad 09-10-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainTi (Post 386431)
Was actually thinking about the whole canned chicken the other day. Haven't had it since I was a kid hanging out in the mountains for the summer with my Dad. It was pretty good actually if memory serves me correctly.

We had to eat it once on an extended hunting trip with nothing else in the grub box. Once you scrpe off all that clear colored jelly stuff on the outside some of it wasn't too bad. Then again we were pretty hungry:lol:

jaylow? 09-10-2009 07:47 PM

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...%3D2%26hl%3Den

this is a link to a canned cheeseburger!!!!!. i wouldnt be too excited about that though:lol:

i looked at the canned bacon...doesnt look all that bad, but when i seen the whole canned chicken i almost gagged.:sick:

deanmc 09-10-2009 07:51 PM

“When you’re in my house you shall do as I do and believe who I believe in. So Bart butter your bacon.”

Homer Simpson

Redfrog 09-10-2009 09:14 PM

We used to use canned bacon on hunt trips. It was made in Denmark and was at least as good as store bacon. I was loking for it a few weeks ago with no luck.

Canned chicken is meant to be used in soup or stew or chicken pie. And that clear jelly will melt when heated. It is chicken broth,:)

209x50 09-10-2009 09:53 PM

Canned bacon! Now that brings back some memories. The stuff we always got was called Tulip I think, it has been a while but it was not cooked and was wrapped in a wax paper in the can.
Canned chicken is heavenly! We used to can 50 of the Huts old laying chickens every year in quart jars. Dang now I want a canned chicken sandwich...

Grizzly Adams 09-10-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

The stuff I remember was Tulip Brand and came from Denmark. Haven't sen it in years, but it was real handy, if a bit greasy. Still like to take canned ham and instant ptatoes. Yummy.:D
Grizz

Iron Brew 09-11-2009 12:14 AM

The one I always liked was the canned cake. Haven't seen it in over 20 years now... Was actually quite good...

mtylerb 09-11-2009 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Brew (Post 386710)
The one I always liked was the canned cake. Haven't seen it in over 20 years now... Was actually quite good...

Canned bacon, canned chicken, canned cake (??) ... You know, I bought some canned oxygen, one time. Yup, whole lot of oxygen. Try everything once, right? It wasn't that great, though, I prefer the fresh (free) stuff.

ceedub 09-11-2009 05:32 AM

Like Grizz mentioned, we ate many a can of "Tulip" brand Danish bacon, I remember it being pretty good actually.

Craig

honda450 09-11-2009 07:06 AM

Yup that old canned bacon does bring back memories. I still buy that canned corned beef and canned potatoes.:wave: Cut up corned beef and potatoes, mix together and fry it up. Easy meal.:wave:

honda450 09-11-2009 10:14 AM

Here's one my grandpa and father used to eat in the morning. Goose grease and toast. Never acquired the taste myself but they had jars of it. Think it was an old country favourite. (Scotland) :wave:

Orion 09-11-2009 10:39 AM

Yep, that canned bacon brings back a lot of fond memories.

Another hunting favourite was and still is canned corned beef hash. But you have to fry it until it's crispy. I only eat it a couple times a year now.
There's enough sodium in it to completely rust away a '59 Chevy in a week. :scared:

honda450 09-11-2009 10:50 AM

KD throw in a can of salmon or tuna, your good to go. Man gotta get a deer or moose when ya first get there to get the heart and liver. BAM ya got a meal. Hey my cooking skills are limited. :evilgrin:

FishBrain 09-11-2009 10:51 AM

canned bacon? oh mn I must really be young never heard of it and dont plan to try it. lol
I know at costco you can get precooked bacon, my boss swears by it.
THe canned chicken looks like it was regurgitated by something.
I guess if I had to I would eat it but unless it is needed...

Mish 09-11-2009 11:25 AM

Never heard of canned bacon, but saw a canned whole chicken at an outdoor store in Yellowknife last week. Might could convince me to pick some up next time I'm there...if you'd be willing to send me some jerky from Bergen :)

honda450 09-11-2009 12:19 PM

Dang years ago huntin (tag along)with my grandpa who's passion was sheep. When he got one the liver was on the menu that night. She was hard to swallow. Grandpa and Dad and the hounds used to eat most of it :evilgrin: