Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Fly Rod Repair (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=348010)

mvaughan 07-16-2018 10:20 AM

Fly Rod Repair

Hey guys,

Anyone know a good place here in Calgary to fix my Sage 8wt Rod. Broke the tip off ( not sure how much is broken ) but sage is 4-5 weeks for repairs. Hoping to find a local place with good rep to help me out a little faster

Cheers,
Mike

Scott N 07-16-2018 10:35 AM

I'm mostly thinking out loud here, but I wonder if Pieroway Rods could help you since they build custom rods here in Calgary? Might be worth a phone call.

mvaughan 07-16-2018 10:41 AM

Yes they are on the list to call, they are closed today though

pikergolf 07-16-2018 01:53 PM

Is Sage going to repair or replace the tip piece. If they are going to replace it is certainly worth waiting for.

scel 07-16-2018 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvaughan (Post 3812830)
Hey guys,

Anyone know a good place here in Calgary to fix my Sage 8wt Rod. Broke the tip off ( not sure how much is broken ) but sage is 4-5 weeks for repairs. Hoping to find a local place with good rep to help me out a little faster

Cheers,
Mike

It is a somewhat expensive service (I think $75 USD), but Sage will hand-make you a perfect section for your rod then Fed Ex it back to you (a service that is worth $40 all by itself). It is a long wait, but it is not a repair as much as it is a replacement. Sometimes it can be pretty quick. I think I have received a replacement within 3 weeks.

mvaughan 07-16-2018 03:43 PM

Sage told me $95 USD plus shipping and 4-5 week turn around currently.

With freight we are at least $150 cad now, plus hoping for faster turn around I would like to fish some more

Flymph 07-16-2018 06:33 PM

Loaner?

I recall breaking a rod on a fishing trip. While rod was sent off to Sage for repairs the local fly shop provided me with a very nice sage rod as a loaner at no extra charge. Not sure if this still happens but might be worth an inquiry.

Albany 07-16-2018 08:03 PM

I have sent dozens of rods back to sage over the years - there is now a cost (used to be free) and a bit of a wait but well worth it and personally the only way I would go about such a repair - it will come back good as new.

If you are in a time crunch and you can provide either collateral or proof that you are not going to run away with it I can probably loan you a sage 8wt - I have a few kicking around here (calgary)

Cheers

BPman 07-16-2018 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvaughan (Post 3812830)
Hey guys,

Cheers,
Mike

If you lost only an inch or two then take it to any trout shop and buy a new tip guide that fits onto the shaft. Put it on with hot glue as the factory does. Send it back to Sage after the season when not needed for a few weeks. You cannot effectively "Repair" a graphite rod - Sage will replace the section.

mvaughan 07-18-2018 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albany (Post 3813112)
I have sent dozens of rods back to sage over the years - there is now a cost (used to be free) and a bit of a wait but well worth it and personally the only way I would go about such a repair - it will come back good as new.

If you are in a time crunch and you can provide either collateral or proof that you are not going to run away with it I can probably loan you a sage 8wt - I have a few kicking around here (calgary)

Cheers

I appreciate the offer, thank you. I would just be to paranoid using someones rod. Would be to scared to break it. For now I will just fix the tip and come this winter I will send in the piece they are requesting and get it replaced. Thank you all for the tips

403Bowhunter 07-18-2018 08:24 AM

As noted above, if its just a few inches bring the section to FishTales and they'll have a tip top piece that'll fit. Call and ask when Wayne is working (he usually works once a week) and bring the piece to him. He's the shop's rod building expert and will be able to tell you whether or not it's fixable, what your options are, etc.