Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   DIY archery targets (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=336145)

Rol 12-28-2017 07:33 PM

DIY archery targets

So I've googled this as well and I see there are tons of ideas online. Just curious if anyone has built there own targets and can pass along a good system. I was thinking of using a bunch of the foam puzzle flooring pieces people use for their kids and just putting 10 of them up stacked behind eachother. Not sure of that foam is too resistant and will damage arrows or not.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated and welcome.

Thanks

Gongshow 12-28-2017 08:09 PM

An old suitcase stuffed with old clothes works very well.

bsmitty27 12-28-2017 08:10 PM

As kids we made a large 6x6 log frame (tall fence posts with top plate) got old carpet and hung layers and layers over it till it was good. My kids are coming to the age to start learning and a large target will save me money. Think I'll put one in this spring.
Brad

Bush Critter 12-28-2017 10:00 PM

A stuffed teady bear, the jumbo ones 4’ tall or so. A stuffed pillow case works surprisingly well too. Probably get one or two sessions out of them before you need to repair or at more fabric to them l.

scalerman 12-29-2017 04:59 AM

A gunny sack stuffed full of plastic bags works very well to stop arrows.

Prdtrgttr 12-29-2017 07:49 AM

For the time and effort it takes to make one...go buy one. Tons of options at very reasonable prices.

Kurt505 12-29-2017 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prdtrgttr (Post 3698018)
For the time and effort it takes to make one...go buy one. Tons of options at very reasonable prices.

After making several targets, I fully agree. $80 bag and you're set for a while.

jcrayford 12-29-2017 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prdtrgttr (Post 3698018)

Yep, agreed. Rinehart 18-1 target is well over 10 years old and will probably retire when I do (20 years down the road).... Has taken field points and broadheads.....

And my buddies bag target is almost as nice. In fact, it's easier to pull arrows out of than my Rinehart.

When you stop to think about it, pulling the arrows is the most important thing... If you can't pull an arrow out (or struggle) then you're wearing yourself out.

I should buy a bag target...

J.

Kurt505 12-29-2017 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcrayford (Post 3698058)
Yep, agreed. Rinehart 18-1 target is well over 10 years old and will probably retire when I do (20 years down the road).... Has taken field points and broadheads.....

And my buddies bag target is almost as nice. In fact, it's easier to pull arrows out of than my Rinehart.

When you stop to think about it, pulling the arrows is the most important thing... If you can't pull an arrow out (or struggle) then you're wearing yourself out.

I should buy a bag target...

J.

Been through almost every type of target I can think of and the Wedge target bag has been the best, both in price and being user friendly.

normanrd 12-29-2017 09:23 AM

For broad heads I use a bag or box full of lightly packed rags, and that works extremely well.

for field points I use a Spyderweb target. I have found these to be the most durable over the years, as well as one of the easiest to remove arrows from. They also do not leave any residue on the arrows, like some other foam targets and shrink wrap based targets do. The one I am shooting now is a year and a half old and has taken thousands and thousands of arrows and is still in great shape.

Norm

Rol 12-29-2017 11:13 AM

Thanks for all the ideas and opinions

Bonescreek 12-29-2017 11:35 AM

I've been using a block type target (Black Hole) for a long time, still use it.

Here's a couple of links of a DIY build I did this past year in case you
havn't seen them..

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=317981

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=325048

Morbius131 12-29-2017 03:49 PM

Here is what I have done

Get used plastic wrap from a warehouse and then go to Princess auto and buy a box of old burlap coffee bags ($4.99 for 5 bags) and pack them tight. See up the top with small nylon rope from the dollar store and paint dots on it. I have put well over 2000 shots into my first bag before I had to stuff the second bag with the insides of the first bag. Brand new again and ready to go.

For broadheads use a box with lightly packed clothes or if you can get your hands on a couple Yellowpage Phonebooks (I’m dating myself) they are great to sight in and then recycle.

Morb

3blade 12-29-2017 06:04 PM

Cushions off an old couch headed for the garbage. Take three, stack on top of each other, tape em together and shoot away.

fallen1817 12-29-2017 06:25 PM

just an FYI, Hurricane bag targets are on for $40 for boxing week at Cabelas.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/28344...m_medium=flyer

Rol 12-29-2017 07:41 PM

Again, I appreciate all the input

smokedstew 12-30-2017 07:56 PM

I tried the puzzle piece idea last winter. I don't recommend, very hard to remove arrows and it leaves a melted plastic like residue behind

Morbius131 12-30-2017 08:01 PM

Yeah

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallen1817 (Post 3698429)
just an FYI, Hurricane bag targets are on for $40 for boxing week at Cabelas.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/28344...m_medium=flyer

I have used a Hurricane Target and they are good but I have shot through 2 of them in the same time I shot through the burlap bag and plastic wrap. They are good though. The Bulldog targets are good as well with a lifetime warranty. You can get them from jim Bows Archery.

Morb

Braggcreekdean 01-10-2018 11:25 PM

I tried rubber roofing shingles made out of recycled tires and I could not pull the arrows out. I tried the snap together foam rubber mats and the arrow went deep into 6 thick and was very hard to pull out. I tried hay bails and the arrow sunk right up to the fletching. I finally bought a target block and used hay bails as the back-up in case I miss. After all that messing around I have concluded that target blocks are good value.

Ridger 01-27-2018 08:05 AM

Grain bags stuffed with shrink wrap. Any big box store has tons from skid take downs

nicodeemus1 01-29-2018 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbius131 (Post 3699375)
I have used a Hurricane Target and they are good but I have shot through 2 of them in the same time I shot through the burlap bag and plastic wrap. They are good though. The Bulldog targets are good as well with a lifetime warranty. You can get them from jim Bows Archery.

Morb

I second the Bulldog targets. Have shot most of the other brands and the Bulldogs definitely last the longest. Self healing, easy 2 finger pull out and lifetime warranty is hard to beat. Once you've shot both sides of the face off they will send you a new cover for free, just pay shipping.

Chris89lx 02-27-2018 03:31 PM

Has anyone ever tried foam fill designed for filling tires?
I have access to some at work and was thinking of making a box to try it out.

Jays toyz 03-07-2018 09:48 AM

3 old couch cushions worked for me also, but the best target ever is the side of a round bale. Broad heads or field points from 3 feet, sure no problem. easiest removal of any target. Cheap, recycleable and big. I am always afraid of trying from 70 or 80 yards because I hate losing arrows. Best $60 I ever spent.