Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mikisew Sportfishing (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=312212)

genoel 01-11-2017 05:54 AM

Mikisew Sportfishing

Sent a quick note to the Mikisew Group of Companies to check on the operational status of Mikisew Sportfishing and got a reply saying simply "Sorry we are not operating". Very sad news for my wife and I.
Does anybody have any information on what the status are of their leases? Certainly, they cannot not just be left to rot. Do they have to clean them up? Can the leases sit empty and for how long? How long are these leases typically? Of course this only applies to the camps which are leased and not the ones on band land.
We absolutely love Ryan Lake and would be very interested in whether or not someone else is interested in running it. I'll be your first customer if you like, you know, some sort of 'early booking discount'.
Had a wonderful time up at Bocquene Lake last year, but I would sure love to pay another visit to Ryan Lake. Maybe our sponsors at www.andrewlakelodge.com could step in and take over some of Mikisew's camps. I've been in to at least see most of their camps and I cannot believe that someone, even in this economy, can make these viable businesses and if someone is looking for someone to sit up there all summer 'keeping an eye on things' I'll volunteer.
Just thought I'd pass along the update as people begin to make summer plans. Take care and a belated Happy New Year, George.
P.S. I want to go back here.
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMG_1768.jpg

Dead Moose 01-11-2017 06:55 AM

No airline makes it unprofitable

The sport fishing fly in business is really only profitable if you have an airline. Once Mikisew lost their airline, it was just a matter of time. Their camps are likely already in disrepair as this is the 2nd winter and I doubt that the camps were properly secured in the fall of 2015.

genoel 01-11-2017 01:32 PM

Absolutely, once Mikisew lost their airline the fly in business was in trouble. The last 2 or 3 years we flew with McMurray Aviation which was awesome, but I'm sure MUCH less profitable than when they flew their own customers in.
As for the condition of the camps, all I know is that at the end of the 2015 season on our way out of Ryan Lake, we unloaded new tin roofing there and at Barrow Lake and people that were there to install it. If they put the new roofs on I'm sure they're fine barring a few trees laying here or there. The camps I have visited at Ryan, Loutit, Colin, Cornwall, Barrow and McLelland Lakes are all beautiful spots. I can't believe that they cannot be viable businesses for someone to run and can't imagine that SRD would let the ones on leases just fall apart up there. It is a shame that they sit empty.
Where's everybody going that used to fly in up there? GN

Deer Hunter 01-11-2017 01:38 PM

Its a shame alright. It was one of Alberta best kept secrets

Dead Moose 01-11-2017 01:43 PM

Mikisew Camps

There is no doubt that their camps WERE beautiful and well set up. Tim got a fair bit of lottery type funding to install solar systems in a lot of those camps. But once Tim left, there was a lot of dissension and a lot of the little things that make a big difference were not attended to. I am certain that you noticed a difference between the last 2 yrs that you went with Mikisew. I know we sure did.
I am betting that Dan @ Andrew Lake Lodge and other lodges got a lot of former Mikisew guests and some probably went to Sask. Our group went with Dan and thoroughly enjoyed our trip even though the camp was not quite as nice as Mikisew's. The fishing and cold beer made up for the differences.
At the risk of saying some politically incorrect things I wonder how many native run enterprises you have been around. I have seen a fair number in both Ontario and here in Ab both as a client and as a banker to them and the developments with Mikisew did not really surprise me.

cribfisher 01-11-2017 01:57 PM

I would love go on some trips like this in Canada but I can't justify the cost. I go to the Florida keys for no more, and in most cases less, than fly-in or salmon fishing here and that's with the horrible exchange rates right now. When the dollar is stronger it's much cheaper to go down there. Other than maybe sturgeon, or east coast tuna fisheries nothing here can compare to catching sharks, tarpon, goliath grouper, etc.

nimrod 01-11-2017 04:25 PM

I believe Mikisew cabins are on reserve land, so nobody can just take them out, google the area, it does show reserve land on most of the lakes they fished.

NEXL 01-11-2017 04:53 PM

Don't expect these camps to be operational any time soon...and as far as Andrew Lake Lodge, Dan is trying to down size, not the other way around. As has been said regarding there own airline, they have not been able to make a profit since having to hire Mcmurray Aviation, not to mention that charter costs this year going forward are going to be ridiculous thanks to the carbon tax driving up aviation fuel. And as far as the leases go, as long as the band is paying the government the lease fees it will be status quoe, If I were you, I'd be looking to go back to Bocquene...

35 whelen 01-11-2017 05:31 PM

There are lots of beautiful camps in Northern Saskatchewan Manitoba Alberta that are just sitting and not running I've worked at few of them that are not in business anymore

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

eagleflyfisher 01-11-2017 07:44 PM

Did several trips with Mikisew back when they had the planes. Last trip in after they lost the airline was a pain for sure.
Cost wise the trips couldn't be beat, about $1500 or so after food/ beer etc..
Left on your own for 5 days, no guide etc.. Fishing was awesome, great memories.
I would go again in a heart beat if it was running.
Another lake I hit quite awhile ago was Tazin, back then it was under 2k , I don't think it's running anymore but price last I saw was in the 5k range.
Whose going to pay that to catch jacks & Lakers.
Love to find something that a guy can afford Anymore.
Really liked the Diy set up of Tims camps.
I need a float plane...oh ya & know how to fly.

getasheep 01-11-2017 09:14 PM

I loved Mikisew. Have done 4 trips to different lakes with them. Too bad it wasn't viable enough to continue because I'd be a customer often. Are all the camps reserve land because it was a huge area. Did they leave the boats behind?

genoel 01-12-2017 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getasheep (Post 3440767)
I loved Mikisew. Have done 4 trips to different lakes with them. Too bad it wasn't viable enough to continue because I'd be a customer often. Are all the camps reserve land because it was a huge area. Did they leave the boats behind?

I believe that only the Charles North, Colin and Cornwall camps are on band land. We toured Colin and Cornwall with the head of the Mikisew Group of Companies and his wife on our way into Ryan Lake in 2015. They were touring the camps briefly to explore future possibilities for these camps as they are both on band land and not restricted by SRD red tape.
They had some interesting ideas, but obviously they must not consider them viable at this time.
An absolute shame! This corner of the province is spectacular and each camp is unique and special. You would think that increasing tourism to the region would only benefit Fort Chipewyan and the area. I know at one point there was consideration of rebuilding a lodge in Fort Chip and incorporating a night there as part of the 'package' if desired.
As far as the business aspect of it, it does not matter why the people are willing to pay to visit the area. It is still seats on airplanes and money going into the local economy. I'll pitch in my share. GN

Soiler 01-13-2017 08:37 PM

Yup, once they lost their planes, it was a downward spiral. And losing Tim was the last nail in the coffin. We went in, for more than 10 years. I've been in to Cornwall, S.Charles & Wyley all once & into Colin a bunch of times & even got engaged on the dock there on the last season they were running. It's to bad that we may never be able to make it back there. Nobody had any idea what camps had what for equipment after Tim left so it was a little bit of a gong show on our last trip in. But the fishing & trip was awesome once again, we'd never had an awful trip over the years. What a waste, to bad the band doesn't have the right guy in charge of these resources to make it work. I'd be all over it, Lol