Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Elk still be rutting? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=369819)

welder 09-22-2019 01:58 PM

Elk still be rutting?

Kinda new to the elk hunting but, will it be too late to call elk next week? Or will they be shy to the cow calling?

husky7mm 09-22-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welder (Post 4029734)
Kinda new to the elk hunting but, will it be too late to call elk next week? Or will they be shy to the cow calling?

The elk respond to cow calls year round. It is their language. Even during the peak rut elk sometimes do not come to the call. There are many reasons but mostly it is because of predators, both 2 and 4 legged. A lot of areas are hard hit from that pressure, not just on the bull but the cows also. It can be a challenge. Sometimes I don’t call at all, just pattern the routes between food and bed and intercept. The call, any call gives my location away so I remain silent then so they don’t change routes.
Elk are vocal because of the rut from August to November with the peak of rut being right around now but sometimes they just won’t come to the call. There is a second peak somewhere around thanksgiving. The bright moon affects the day time responses as well so plan around that too. Its best to call with 2 people if the elk respond and don’t come in. The shooter moves in while the caller hangs back and keeps the elk going so the shooter can find them.

One thing is certain, you will not get one if you don’t go. Happy hunting!

calgarychef 09-22-2019 04:03 PM

They were absolutely screaming today.

creeky 09-22-2019 05:04 PM

Going pretty good right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by welder (Post 4029734)

This coming week is the peak (wed thurs) IME.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dick284 09-22-2019 05:09 PM

There’s a definite possibility of a probable maybe.

Family Hunter 09-22-2019 05:19 PM

I’ve called one from inside the block over the fence on November 17 but did not shoot as he had broken main beam
Also called one out of posted land onto land we had permission on. It opening day Oct 25 and we did shoot that one
All began with a bugle followed by cow calls

Erinawol 09-22-2019 05:29 PM

We are up in grande prairie area and they stopped screaming on Wednesday . Been completely silent since then, watched a young satellite bull with a cow who would hear our calls and bugles but wouldn’t answer back.

Hoping to see them come back into second rut this week. Never a guarantee but cut lines/ travel lines and a whole lot of patience is what’s looking good right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skidderman 09-22-2019 06:06 PM

Yesterday I saw one breeding but he was silent the whole time.

Deezel 09-22-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erinawol (Post 4029778)
We are up in grande prairie area and they stopped screaming on Wednesday . Been completely silent since then, watched a young satellite bull with a cow who would hear our calls and bugles but wouldn’t answer back.

Hoping to see them come back into second rut this week. Never a guarantee but cut lines/ travel lines and a whole lot of patience is what’s looking good right now.

By looking at the date, I'd say they're getting educated.

Mountainaccent 09-22-2019 09:28 PM

Still going hard north of town lots of small 3x3 and 4s nothing called in so far worth tagging yet!

Erinawol 09-22-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountainaccent (Post 4029887)
Still going hard north of town lots of small 3x3 and 4s nothing called in so far worth tagging yet!

Where are you located?

Full Curl Earl 09-22-2019 10:43 PM

Quiet

Things were quiet today in Wainwright country, but it was warm today.

skidderman 09-23-2019 12:58 AM

Wolves are moving into the area I normally hunt elk. My experience right or wrong is when the wolves move in the elk shut up.

DRhunter 09-23-2019 06:52 AM

I was out Saturday and bugled back and forth with a bull, got within about 75 yds, but couldn’t close from there. This was in the porkies.

DR

Big Grey Wolf 09-23-2019 08:26 AM

Skidder, just like us guys we do not bugle while breeding, just some moaning!

Mountainaccent 09-23-2019 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erinawol (Post 4029891)
where are you located?

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

346 :)

lakerman 09-23-2019 05:56 PM

screaming

Going nuts in Elk Island. Had the pleasure of watching 2 battle it out yesterday, tree raking and the whole nine yards. Multiple other bulls bugling there hearts content.

Big Grey Wolf 09-24-2019 08:52 AM

elk

Elk Island is a good example of un disturbed elk population. It has very high ratio of bulls which most of Alberta boreal and foothills does not. Thus you get lots of bugling as boys always challenging and screaming at each other.

Walleye55 09-27-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerman (Post 4030209)
Going nuts in Elk Island. Had the pleasure of watching 2 battle it out yesterday, tree raking and the whole nine yards. Multiple other bulls bugling there hearts content.

What area of Elk Island have you seen Elk. I've taken the family there on a few hikes and have never found any Elk or Elk sign. We always have a good time though and have seen lots of other wildlife.

Big Grey Wolf 09-28-2019 09:45 AM

elk

Most elk are away from tourist areas in Elk Island park. They tend to avoid people and believe park wardens tend to keep them away from tourists especially during rut.

sirmike68 09-28-2019 08:55 PM

Was south of Snipe Lake Sept 23-27th. Bulls on the cams so they were in the area just didn't hear a peep from them.

husky7mm 09-28-2019 09:54 PM

Ya seems so pretty much for all around the GP area. Bulls in cam, fresh tracks, not a peep during the day.

JeanCretien 10-02-2019 11:16 AM

Saddle they were screaming at about 4 am for maybe an hour this weekend. They know what’s up.

FinnDawg 10-02-2019 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirmike68 (Post 4032366)
Was south of Snipe Lake Sept 23-27th. Bulls on the cams so they were in the area just didn't hear a peep from them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by husky7mm (Post 4032393)
Ya seems so pretty much for all around the GP area. Bulls in cam, fresh tracks, not a peep during the day.

Will the bulls still come to calls even if they aren’t calling themselves?

husky7mm 10-02-2019 08:10 PM

They’re calling, its just very quiet so unless your really close you can’t hear then. The odd one will come in but its rare at this time. They know each others sounds and who is the biggest. They are well educated by people and wolves too. If you hear a bull bugling a courting or display bugle you can dog them with a cow call and eventually he will come back for you. They will start up again around thanksgiving with bugling but still will rarely come in and if they do it may take a few hours.

Prairiewolf 10-03-2019 06:45 AM

I was out in 402 from the 21st through the 26th and didn't hear much. I believe the weather that southern Alberta got on the weekend would have changed this. Could be a good time to try again.